Grass improvements

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I love the grass feature - it's one of the best things about enscape. And I really like how the grass assumes the colour of underlying surface fill. But there are a few little things I think would make it even better:

• Use 'bump maps' to change the 'z' of the overlaying grass (height)
    • Change the height of the grass from 'cricket pitch' to 'field' (perhaps an actual numerical scale?)
    • On surfaces >70º from horizontal (I think that's where it becomes noticeable) use a more random scatter rather than horizontal lines of grass (looks like contour lines just now)
    • Access to the variable that defines how far from the camera the grass stops rendering (and is replaced with the flat texture). Similarly, some way to change the density so that the grass thins-out as it gets further from the camera. (These are mostly for speed of render; turned down while setting things up and restored for proper presentation/renders)

- Personally I like the fact that if I draw a cube and colour the inside base with a grass texture you can see it sticking out the bottom edge/joins; I could use it to make industrial scenes look overgrown/naturalised. I could see where a toggle to tidy this or provide a 'buffer zone' might be asked for however I would say that this is a cool feature and leave it alone.

- You could also have two grass models: "seed-heads" and "blades" with a mixer to say how much of one to mix (randomly) with the other. Option to select the base model for each type - you could then use this to produce fields of various crops or weed patches in a lawn or just add a little more variation/realism to the standard grass.

- If you wanted to get really clever you could add animation effects to it; a limited ripple so that the grass moved as you "walked" through it. Wind ripples, helicopter down-draught, rippling like water as if things were running through it,

(mentioned elsewhere: - it would look so much better if you could remove the outline from grass when outlining the rest of the model)

• - You could also have two grass models: "seed-heads" and "blades" with a mixer to say how much of one to mix (randomly) with the other. Option to select the base model for each type - you could then use this to produce fields of various crops or weed patches in a lawn or just add a little more variation/realism to the standard grass.

+1. I think this is a terrific idea. Ability for us to randomize and create more custom looking areas of grass areas would add a ton of realism and interest to the images. I love the idea of being able to change the grass height and base models for each type.

Sometime you want a manicured lawn look but sometimes you want a more country field look.

Developing a scattering type of function like this for grass/weeds etc. could also pave the way to doing this for trees as well.

- If you wanted to get really clever you could add animation effects toit; a limited ripple so that the grass moved as you "walked"through it. Wind ripples, helicopter down-draught, rippling like water as if things were running through it,

+1. I'd love to see this happen as well. Imagine a country estate with taller grass and a light wind gently blowing the grass. Ads a lot to the mood. Goes back to my request for trees blowing in the wind. Doing this for grass could make it possible for doing it with trees as well. Ads so much to the "sell" of the design when you can build more emotion.

• After a little bit playing with the grass tool, got another idea:

- Fur tool, similar to grass, with almost the same options but with different kind of geometry (more hair/fur like type) in order to create more realistic carpets and interior design. The tool could also be triggered on something like carpet or fur in material name.

• Official Post

Hi! Thank you very much for your message. I've filed your feature request and forwarded it to our developers so that they're are aware of the demand for this implementation! ;)

• +1 from us as well, but with the big cavia that we would want it on all platforms as our renders need to look consistent, no matter what tool a team member is using.

Our grass requests in order of priority

- change height

- scatter other (custom) objects so that we can use it for carpets, green roof, etc (sketchup has a scatter plugin but Revit and rhino don't have similar options)

- have it work on vertical surfaces

• Grasa height and variation per grass material will be released in the next preview together with improved rendering quality.

• Update 2018-07-20Stability fixes

New Grass Material Parameters & Improved Grass Rendering

We have improved grass rendering and introduced grass material options that are now accessible in the Sketchup material editor. This allows you to control the height and variation for each grass material.

A huge step in the right direction :thumbsup: , but the height slider is in % ??

It would be 95% better if it was an actual mm scale (or " if you really must).

(Part of our product range is artificial grass and it frustrates me that I still can't use Enscape to get the right look.)

• Thanks for your feedback Gadget! It's just our first preview, so we'll check how we can optimize it.

• Also, please consider giving the other programs (especially Revit and Archicad) more fine control over grass height.

I know a material editor for Rhino is planned, so I guess the Rhino people will have the same control and in Sketchup.

• Any news on finer control for the grass in Revit? We have a rooftop project with a lot of grass patches that could benefit from finer control over the grass :)

• Any news on finer control for the grass in Revit? We have a rooftop project with a lot of grass patches that could benefit from finer control over the grass

The same question here. You already have grass options for Enscape materials in Sketchup but no any new feature for the grass in Revit... As already discussed here - it would be better if you implement this feature as enscape setting - applicable for all software equally, instead of binding it with material options which significantly vary from software to software...
    now - skethup + enscape users have more useful options than other enscape users...

• Hi wagnoldo, welcome to our Forum.

You have height and variation parameters in our current preview version:

You can access our preview section via the link at the bottom left of our official download area.