Pibuz's tests

• i agree, an ultra high preset should include all reflections and so on... My proposal was an extra function, to allow you to optimize a scene to specific needs under real time presentations and VR :-)

• I have one big problem to use Enscape too - the RT optimizations cause a lot of trouble and unwanted effects. I strongly miss a feature to disable the RT optimizations for still images and animations. I understand the need of the optimizations for RT, but images/animations needs to be without quality problems.

I have very light scenes, but the optimizations start to disable emitters, hide objects in mirrors, env light comes through walls .... . It's really a problem.

• I'm further exploring the outdoor potential of this great software! I'm really happy!

I'm trying to test it with very heavy scenes (memory-wise), so in this one I'm trying to insert a whole load of hipoly vegetation: here are some onytree, some evermotion and some CGaxis plants. Some ground grass is from the warehouse, the basic grass is obviously native Enscape grass.

I find that using ONLY enscape grass looks somewhat fake, but if you spread around some different models turns out great (for the distribution I'm using Skatter).

This wip scene was initially meant to represent a country environment. BUT the Enscape horizon led me to a "seaside" shot ^^

BTW, is there a way to obtain a png with transparent background so that's easy to put another background on?

Another important question: if I find that a material applied to a proxy is wrong, do I have to open the reference skp file, edit the material and re-import the instance?

• As Herbo said in the other thread: You can use the mask export (current version) or materialID (preview and upcoming 2.2) to change the background easily in postproduction. Have your tried the horizon presets in the settings? They should give you a better background than the plain horizon.

Regarding the proxy: I am not sure about a better solution of accessing the materials inside the proxy, I think this is the way to go.

• ok Thomas thanks! I'll try the material ID mask. Although I believe that a "transparent background" option would be nice to have (if it's not a big hassle to implement)

About the proxies, I have two suggestions which could help out:

1. maybe we can optimize the process without having to manually re-import the proxy: once i modify the skp file of a proxy in use, Enscape could recognize that a change has been made on the source skp file and reload the materials and geometry changes (maybe with an "update proxy" button?)

2. another idea to get easy access to the materials of the proxy is to import its materials in the scene, so we could adjust the parameters easily.

I don't know if any of these two is feasible, since I don't know anything about programming. So take them just as user suggestions :)

• In regard to the proxy discussion, i just wanted to share my thoughts :-)

You dont need to re-import proxies. Just edit the original file, and when you restart the enscape window, it should show the updates :-) I just tested it :-)

I would very much be opposed to having the materials imported! the point of proxies is to keep the main file light, and having it import potentially loads of big textures from other files, would be a disaster for larger projects :-)

one thing that COULD be nice, would be to have a little button that lets you open the original file directly from the main file (in the proxies window)... that way changes could be made faster :-)

• I agree with you about the uneffectiveness of importing all materials from proxies, I didn't thought that through. In fact, one of the worst things in sketchup is the material handling system...<X

Indeed, the "open source skp" button for proxies could be very cool: the first time I used proxies I thought that the button was for that ^^

• Hi guys! I'm back with a bunch of questions!

I'm attaching some new tests on a scene I previously worked on, a little. The questions are the following:

1. Evening shot: I've added some light sources in the scene but they seem not to be visible at all, even if their power was set to the maximum amount. I wouldn't want to change the exposure brightness since the sky brightness is perfect like this. How do I work in such cases?

2. I'd very like to have a "camera shift" option! could be useful in situations like in the image shown in the "blablabla-05" image (3rd)

3. I have some issues dealing with the transparent fabric of the hanging curtains over the gazebo. At the moment they're a slightly transparent mat with no reflection, but in the blablabla-05 shot they don't look good....... How do you guys suggest to fix it?

THANKS A LOT!

• Hi pibuz, looking good! :thumbup:;)

Regarding your questions:

1. Difficult to tell without seeing where the lightsource is supposed to be and how it's setup. Maybe add a Sketchup screenshot of it?

2. Do you mean the camera panning feature of Sketchup? This is something that's been requested before, which we'll definitely look into.

3. Things you could try: Add the flag "Frosted glass" - that would result in a more blurry background. Or alternatively I would try a non transparent material, but with a fabric mask texture (white with lot's of little black holes) in addition to that base the material on "Vegetation" (not "Generic") and you should get nice backface lighting as well.

Nevertheless those are already some great atmospheric shots! :)

• hi Clemens! Thanks for the quick reply!!

By "Camera Shift" I mean the possibility to maintain the same position and target of the camera, but shifting the image up/down or left-right.

In my image for example, with a little lens shift up I could see the top of the gazebo and a little less foreground bush.

Basically, it's something which usually helps in the composition of the image.

It's nothing SketchUp native, but photography-related.

• 3: Personal opinion would be to ripple the bottom edge of the fabric and/or make it look like it's caught in the wind.

(For "camera shift" I recommend a 3D mouse - I have not experienced a better way to navigate through a 3D model.)

• Ok guys, I tried the two methods to improve the fabric.

Setting the material as frosted glass didn't look realistic, but the other method worked fine (see attached images).

Only thing is that sometimes working with organic objects with rippled faces mapping is impossible, so we have a little to pray every time ^^

I also tried to render without chromatic aberration, and I saw that by default the effect is very strong.

Could be useful to have a slider to set a desired value!