Nature - attempt at Photo realism

• Wow, looks great! Well done! How is the performance? Are you able to navigate smoothly?

Thanks! the scene is quite heavy :-) i'm able to navigate kinda smooth (10-15 fps perhaps), on a Titan X (maxwell), but its not like butter ;-) i could propably do a lot of optimization though :-)

i'm really interested in quixel products, but I have never understood HOW they work :D

Are there any useful tutorials about it?

BTW great result Herbo!

I haven't used any tutorial, but I know quixel do have some on youtube for some of their products :-)
    but it is quite straight forward. The models you download come in 6 different LOD's (level of detail), with different poly counts... i have used the next highest one... the largest are EXTREMELY heavy.

They come as FBX files, and I use Simlabs Composer software to open them, and safe as sketchup-files... all textures are included as well (diffuse, bump, roughness and more... )

• I would very much like to know more about the method you employed for this effect, and also if it would work in a similar fashion with Revit.

Well, it's a lot of things working together, creating the mood and effect. i'm not too familiar with revit, but i imagine something similar could be done... but it might be a bit more cumbersome :-)

1. The 3d models

The models in this scene are very detailed and high poly. Its a combination of 3d scaned assets from Quixel megascans, and some detailed models of my own and from 3d-warehouse. Without very high quality models, the scene will never be convincing.

i've been depending heavily on proxies and Skatter in order to place all the assets, as well as keeping the sketchup file lite and easy to work with.

2. Materials

The materials are the next important step. The textures should be high resolution, and without repetitiveness. The 3d scaned models comes with both bump and specular maps, which is a VERY big part of the realism... take advantage of the new material editor (sketchup) or the build in functions of revit to add these maps. especially specular effects are often underestimated.

3. lighting

i've used an HDRI for the background and lighting. This makes for some more dynamic lighting than the standard sky. they can dramatically change the mood of a scene. Also try to think about shadows and contrast. I've added extra trees behind the camera just to cast shadows on the grass and rocks in the right way.

The atmosphere function has been turned all the way up as well, creating the hazy effect for the trees in the background.

4. camera

Play around with the camera, and find positions with interesting compositions. In the case of these small subjects a DOF-effect was added as well... this can also help hide some of the less detailed part of the scene, and focus on the subject (mushrooms and grass).

Hope that helped a little :-)

• Thanks herbo for the detailed info!

Sorry to ask: where can I set an HDR image to be the main lighting instead of sun/sky (which in Enscape I find to be rather cool, though)?

You are welcome :-)

You can add an hdri under "load skybox from file", in the atmosphere tab :-) i agree, the standard sky i very cool, and i use it alot! but for quick mood changes and colorcast, an hdri is a great tool :-)