VR Headset, which one should I buy?

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I've used both and definitely prefer the Rift (lighter and more ergonomic headset with built in audio, less noticeable screen door effect (visible pixels), and way better controllers). In terms of setup though, I'd say they're equally cumbersome. In that regard, the new Smasung Odssey headset definitely looks easier because it doesn't require setting up external sensors. It's less established at this point though, and may not be as software compatible.

• I've used both the rift and Vive, and prefer the Vive... especially with the new deluxe headstrap it is very much like the Rift when it comes to comfort... and for room scale experiences i find the tracking on the vive to be superior.

If you can wait another month or two, the new Vive Pro will be available, and that is propably gonna be as high end as it gets, with much improved screens, better ergonomics, improved sensors and an option for wireless connection (for the normal vive as well).

• With the upcoming version, we will support the new HMDs like those from Samsung. The inside-out tracking works really well. If you intend to use VR on different places without having to install trackers, I would have a look at it!

• I recently ran a VR demo day for my company to look at the potential of VR with Enscape. We had both Vive and Rift for the day, and the expertise of a VR youtuber. The considerations that emerged were:

Oculus Rift

1) Is lighter and seemed to be have a slightly better resolution (marginal).

2) Entirely powered by USB so is useful if you want a portable option

3) Not as glasses friendly compared with the Vive.

4) HDMI only

5) Battery operated controller (quick and easy to change)

HTC Vive

1) Tracking was superior to Oculus Rift

2) Heavier, but comfortable with the deluxe strap

3) Easier for those wearing glasses

4) Requires 3 power sockets to use

5) Multiple connections (HDMI and Mini-DP)

6) Wands are rechargeable so have to watch use.

In both cases, the controls were a matter of personal preference, but each were easy to use and intuitive.

Here is the youtube video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• With the upcoming version, we will support the new HMDs like those from Samsung. The inside-out tracking works really well. If you intend to use VR on different places without having to install trackers, I would have a look at it!

This is fantastic news! Do you have an ETA for when this will happen? Will it be native support without needing Steam?

After testing the Vive, Rift and Samsung we went with the Samsung as the higher resolution, brighter display and wider field of view created a WAY more immersive feel than the other options. I will say that it takes a lot more GPU power and our 1080Ti will just barely power smoothly on High with the Samsung but easily powers Ultra on the others.

Unfortunately the newest WMR plugin to steam has made my controller, beam and ground circles disappear. Does anyone have an older version saved that they could send, OR does anyone know now to roll back a plugin version in Steam?

• There's an article just for your case: https://www.pcmag.com/compare/361805/oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive. As for me I can say that Oculus Touch motion controllers feel much more comfortable to hold and therefore I can achieve remarkable accuracy.

be aware that this article is quite old, and talks about the old generation headsets. it is not very relevant anymore :)
    The new battle of the high-end VR-market for now, is between the Oculus Rift S, the HTC Vive Cosmos and the Valve Index (mainly)... and they all have new, different controllers :)

• The new battle of the high-end VR-market for now, is between the Oculus Rift S, the HTC Vive Cosmos and the Valve Index (mainly)... and they all have new, different controllers :)

And it looks like who think about the Oculus Rift S needs to think about the Oculus Quest too. ;)