Weather animation effects

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • While walking through the model it would be really cool if there were atmospheric effects:

- Obscuring rain (automatically 'fog' out the background and streaks in the zone. Options for density and direction.)

- Obscuring snow (like rain, but more gentle.)

- It would be cool if the effect could "light" the geometry in a similar way to sunlight but negatively (to darken where it hits) and add a reflective sheen to that surface.

Cloud cover increases to +200% so you can't see any sky.

The effect would be blocked by horizontal geometry (depending on the direction of the weather)

Any geometry assigned the "Vegetation" tag (including the grass) has a 'bend' and graphically streaks/moves/ripples with the direction of the weather effect.

It might be handy to assign "Zones" to have different atmospheric effects rather than a global effect... but maybe not.

Option to add rain on the camera lens (not enough to be distracting and towards the edges, but occasional streaks and drops that distort the image as they roll down the lens). Actually it would be cool to create a new texture tag that could be applied to any surface that would have this effect (eg on windows).

Assign a generic external sound and a new "negative" type of sound you can place to cancel out this audio.

• +1 for this feature. I'd love to see weather effects in Enscape. I also think in addition to the items Gadget mentioned it would be VERY cool if you could see the rain drops landing on hard surfaces and splashing out like they do in real life. A good example of that would be in this video made in Unreal Engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYVENoUooY

Also lightening flashes could be cool too, although they are pretty easy to do in post

Option to add rain on the camera lens (not enough to be distracting and towards the edges, but occasional streaks and drops that distort the image as they roll down the lens). Actually it would be cool to create a new texture tag that could be applied to any surface that would have this effect (eg on windows).

Hi Gadget -- if you need this effect for a project immediately or in the near future, Hit Film (which is the VFX and compositing software I personally like over After Effects), has a very convincing "rain on camera lens" effect. I've used it a few times. Hit Film has a sister product called Hit Film Express which is FREE, that I think also has this effect. It's a very convincing effect. Here's an example from one of the guys on the forum that did this with some film footage he took. Added rain and the raindrops dripping down the camera lens. This was done a few years ago, the effect is now a preset and much better looking, so it's super easy to add. You can control how much rain drips, the rate it drips, direction, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=DQHfXTKbNrQ

• Nah - just think it would be really cool to see this live as you walk around the model 8) My models are generally for live walk-throughs rather than producing a video.

(....I've got another wishlist note that would deal with raindrop spashes etc, but I'm limiting myself to posting one idea burst a week ;))

• Thanks for your ideas. Its generally possible. The hard part is to automatically figure our where the water reaches the geometry, e.g. not indoors. Of course it could be done manually but that would be tedious i guess!

• FYI the clouds move as you change the time of day, however I agree that it would be really useful if this was independent of the sun position: Variable to adjust the movement speed. Not sure if a variable to adjust the movement direction is desirable. Or if each 'layer' of clouds should have a different rate - I think that perhaps they should scale off the base layer (ie. Cumulus amount = 100% of value but Cirrus = 50%). Within this it would also be nice to see contrails "grow" and dissipate over time.

Another wishlist item that was skimmed above is to increase the density of Cumulus until you can't actually see any blue sky. At levels > 100% (ie max value as it currently is) it would be nice to have a 'diffuse' setting for the sunlight to soften the edges of sunlight.

I also think that it would be really nice if you could set a "Daylight speed" (ie a speed that the sun travels across the sky). The sun would move (eg) 1 hour in 1 min of real time, allowing you to navigate around your model while this was happening. This would also have an impact on the cloud movement as noted above.

• thx Gadget, i agree with you on that knowing this concept from the unreal engine I used before. This additions would really help. Thanks for this really profound statement. Thomas, hopefully you guys have some ideas on this.

• some1new So you want to have moving clouds without the need to change time of day?

• Exactly, changing cloud position without changing daytime would be great. Occasionally, when the weather is windy - the clouds movement is very notable, but the sun position is almost the same...
    Sometimes I really like the cloud position and their formation in the view, but I need to change the daytime and shadow position. In that case - the cloud are also been moved and overall impression is just not the same...
    Also, all ideas mentioned above regarding weather effects such as rain and snow are top notch!

• The clouds also have an impact on the brightness of the skybox panorama; if the clouds could be moved to produce a more aesthetically pleasing still that would be handy too.
    (But the initial wishlist item was to have them gently float across the sky as you navigate through the model.)

• I have been getting wonderful feedback from our architects using Enscape and a commonly cited addition they would like to see is some subtle improvements to weather. The two main requests have been:

Different weather types; rain, fog, thunderstorm, overcast; that sort of thing

An option for clouds to cast shadows on the model

• Masterdoddy Some of your wishes are already possible.

Check the "Atmosphere" tab of our Enscape settings. You can insert Fog and control type and amount of clouds and change their position.

Weather animations got your upvote.

• I have been getting wonderful feedback from our architects using Enscape and a commonly cited addition they would like to see is some subtle improvements to weather. The two main requests have been:

Different weather types; rain, fog, thunderstorm, overcast; that sort of thing

An option for clouds to cast shadows on the model

Clouds actually do cast shadows currently - you can tell if you change there position or density in the atmosphere tab and things suddenly get darker (position is adjusted via Latitude and Longitude sliders) That said, it appears to be a global change, so you don't actually see the profile of their shadow moving across the ground, everything in the model just turns darker at the same time, which I'm guessing won't look realistic in videos, though I've never tried.

• Right, they cast shadows, but not individually. The whole sun darkens independently from where you are in your project. We once added "real" cloud shadows that move on the ground, but you need a really large project to notice a difference and the performance impact is quite there.

• Official Post

Wishing for weather settings rain and snow like in twinmotion - it's really needed

Alongside stating your wishes here in this Forum, feel free to also forward them through our Public Voting Portal - This Forum will always still be used for discussions of course, but this way every user also has a chance to share their thoughts with our product management team directly.