Science Learning Center

• Hi

That is actually the exact same problem we have faced with our workflow here at the office. We haven't figured out the perfect workflow yet, but what we are doing at the moment is exporting the revit model (containing the building only), and merging it with the sketchup-model containing the terrain, proxies and all that extra stuff :-) that way we can keep working on the building in revit, and when it is time to do high quality (updated) renders, we put the new export from revit in the same spot in sketchup as the old one... it is not perfect, but for now it will have to do... the quality we can achieve from revit alone simply isn't high enough for the clients we work with.

• We have the same issue but it's I efficient if you need to put out images frequetly.

On the long term it should be possible to get the same quality of output in every platform.

An important part of that is having an Enscape system that let's you create your own asset library (people, trees,...) that can be imported as Proxies in every application. There's a trello ticket for that on the board so vote on it if you havn't already.

• Herbo thansk for the feedback

i think i have to try out that model - as i really miss the proxies in Revit.

in my search i have found the "layer_material_tools" by TIG quite usefull to add materials to the revit model - not sure if there is a more simple / dynamic way to handle this? but i guess we have to map textues all over each time the model is updated.

Thanks

• Herbo Thank you for that insight into your Sketchup --> Revit --> Sketchup --> Enscape workflow.

At least for the stage when the building has gone into Revit but the environment is better modelled in Sketchup.

As others mention, it will require a lot of coordination of materials between Sketchup and Revit unless you don't use Revit at all for Enscape work.

What translation tools do you use ? Just the Revit FormIt conversion tool ?

• Amazing images. :thumbsup:

For what it's worth here is a PDF I've made on my process from Revit to SketchUp.

It's in swedish but with the help of the images and Google translate I think you can figure it out.

Revit till SketchUp.pdf

Short English version:

If you don't need to edit the model in SU use FBX. But that need third party fbx importer plugin or other app to convert file to skp.

If you need to edit in SU I've found that DWG gives me the best file structure in SU.

If you have a textured Revit model, Create a new empty Revit project and link it in. Then export as DWG. Materials will be exported but not textures.

If the Revit file is without materials you can use Export layers to differentiate objects that has different materials onto different layers and in SU use the TIG_layer_material_tools script to turn the layers into materials and apply them to the model.