Wish: "Two-point-animation" kept as additional quick tool

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi,

could it be that the two-point-animation tool still has a need?

Last I did a project - a large interior space with a lot of designed details. I created 17 sequences and I like the quick setup. Start and stop views are saved at Rhino and can be quick reused. The new path animation tool is great for complex fly troughs. For the 17 short sequences the path animation wouldn't be so useful.

My impression is, both tools are useful. So, could the two-point-animation not be kept?

-Micha

• Could you explain why is it fater/easier to control?

Having the new complex path I can imagine following workflow:

* Go to a view

* Press k

* Go to another view

* Press k

* Export video

* Click Remove path button

* Repeat for other views

I don't really see how the old way with two keyframes video path can be better here.Plus now you can save all 17 paths and load instead of clicking thorugh the views.

• I think it's a wonderful idea. I am certain that there will be people for who the new camera system causes some issues, and it is overkill for simpler motion needs.

I have already run into 2 problems that would be solved by maintaining the simpler method as an option.

1. the new requirement to specify a speed vs overall time for a path

2. constant motion is no longer actually constant for a simple 2 point path (hopefully this is just a bug an not a requirement of the new camera system)

As the animation system becomes more capable there will likely be more surprises and complications with existing workflows. Maintaining the 2 point option seems like a simple solution. It would also provide newcomers with the most approachable animation option possible.

Chris

• I would like to add that in my experience the best archvis animations are made up of simple motion paths edited together.... and these are all produced with animation packages capable of very complex motion such as 3dsmax. Sometimes simpler is better. Love the new system as an option but not (yet) as a replacement. Hopefully it gets worked out but until them I am sticking with the old version.

• Could you explain why is it fater/easier to control?

It's difficult to say, it's a feeling. I like to use the Rhino cameras and it was easy to update stop/start position. Now, I need to update the positions at the Enscape VR and the fine tuned cameras can't be saved in Rhino. Also I'm more comfortable to adjust cameras per Rhino. I don't like the Enscape view control since the beginning. The views are unexpected moving, since the point of rotation isn't fixed, the camera target isn't fixed like at Rhino.

So, it's easier to fine adjust the views at Rhino, the old two-point-method allow me to to update the saved cameras and the views are saved in the Rhino file.

• Example: I have a designed chair only and I want to rotate the view a little. I need to use the RMB to rotate. If I don't click on the object, than I can't rotate. I need to click on the object than I can rotate. The center of rotation is dependent from the point at the object where I click. If I rotate back and forth than I get an additional, unwanted up and down or side movement. I feel like there is no stable connection between mouse movement and view movement. If I make a mouse movement and move the same way back, than I don't get the initial position. So, it's difficult to adjust a view. It's like a slippery soap.

• You can add a keyframe by hitting "K" on your keyboard after selecting the Rhino view and stop doing that after the second keyframe.

Afterwards you can export the short transition only.

=>This should be the same workflow.

• I try it per "K", but if I set a view at Rhino, than I need to click on the Enscape window first and press K there. OK, it's only a little step more. And if I like to change the start position than I need to do it for start and end position again, after I deleted the path animation. In the past I pressed one button at Rhino menu only.

An other problem for the difficult to control Enscape view - it's a problem to fine adjust a little movement back and forth. One scroll wheel click cause a to big jump often. It would be helpful if the ctrl/shift/alt would allow to get a finer increment.

• You can still use GUI buttons to add keyframes in Rhino ;)

But yes, if you only want to reset first keyframe you now have a bit more clicks to do.

One alternative to the workflow would be not to remove the path completely, but to click on the start keyframe in Enscape window to go into edit mode. Then select desired view in Rhino and click "Apply" in Enscape.

• An other problem for the difficult to control Enscape view - it's a problem to fine adjust a little movement back and forth. One scroll wheel click cause a to big jump often. It would be helpful if the ctrl/shift/alt would allow to get a finer increment.

I can't recommend a 3D mouse highly enough (https://www.3dconnexion.co.uk) - I agree 100% about the amount a wheel click zooms; especially when jumping from SU to Enscape (where the wheel is the primary form of navigation)

• could it be that the two-point-animation tool still has a need?

Yes! I was quite enjoying setting up (fairly traditional) shots and editing them together in Premiere before the Xrev-clash-crash forced me away momentarily.

Happy to see the multi-point in the new release, and need to play with it a fair bit more before passing judgement, but I'd most certainly second a return of the two-point, (and ideally) with more exacting/linear path/transition/ controls, as I've so far found setting the keyframes a bit hit n' miss.