Water material 2.2

• Hi,

Is it possible to get the same effect water than in version 2.1 with 2.2 version?

I have several videos with Enscape 2.1 and i dont want to change the views of the swiming pool for new videos with 2.2 version.

Actually water material in Enscape does not have configuration.

Thanks,

• Ah, ok, so it's not like classic render material. Is there a tutorial where can be found the special features of it? Glass and water works quite unexpected some times. For example glass get an automatic thickness, right? The animated water bump isn't a 3D pattern or? And the surface normal will not determinate where water and air are? And water can't be colored, right? But color absorption simulates a water depth?

• The up-side of a water surface should always be determined by "It is facing upwards" and not by it's normal. EDIT: Fixed in current hotfix v2.2.1

Glass has an estimated thickness that corresponds to typical thicknesses that are used in ArchViz. The waters physical settings are set to relatively clear water, like what you have in a pool or very clean ocean water. There is no way to modify these settings currently.

Regarding animated bump: It's "real" displacement via parallax mapping instead of just being a bump map.

• Interesting. Is there a way to get thick glass running without automatic ~ 5 mm thickness? For example I tried to render full bottles in a wine shelf, but the bottles was rendered empty. Looks like the current glass dosn't allow it. How could the problem be solved? A water object in the bottles? Or could a solidglass keyword added?

(The thread goe's in the direction of this questions.)

• Interesting. Is there a way to get thick glass running without automatic ~ 5 mm thickness? For example I tried to render full bottles in a wine shelf, but the bottles was rendered empty. Looks like the current glass dosn't allow it. How could the problem be solved? A water object in the bottles? Or could a solidglass keyword added?

The solution is a bottle within the bottle; ie model the inside surface of the bottle as well as the outside. It doubles the geometry, but looks prettier.

Another solution would be to have a cut-out image with transparency mask that always faced the camera.

• The solution is a bottle within the bottle; ie model the inside surface of the bottle as well as the outside. It doubles the geometry, but looks prettier.

I tried it but it doesn't help so much. But I found that the Rhino material IOR option is working for the refraction and the default 1 makes it not so good looking. Set at 1.5 it looks better.

But the automatic added thickness cause a double wall effect. I would like to model bottle and liquid as one object and apply a glass without automatic thickness. So, I should get a filled bottle.

The tinting looks not like expected, but I suppose so, this isn't easy to solve, since it would need something like a distance based fog effect calculation.

Also it seems to be that no thin glass bulbs can be rendered, because the automatic thickness. On the left there is a kind bulb glass (0.5mm) and it looks quite thick. At the gallery I have seen bulbs with a thickness effect too:

Wip

Finally I found for rendering empty bottles it's better not to model the inner surface. A single surface looks quite good by the automatic thickness. I wished, the automatic could be disabled if needed.