Lights for SU version

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hey guys, I have a project upcoming for a cable TV show here in the states (set design) however it's on a soundstage (Interior) and I'd love to use Enscape for it, normally I'd just do multiple Thea renders but I believe an animation would serve the project better and Lumion is horrible for interiors. So, is there an estimated timeline for lights to be available for the Sketchup version?

Thanks

• Hi Solo,

the next two steps for SketchUp are:

1. Support of Skatter

2. Support of light proxies

But I cannot give you an estimated timeline for this.

• Completely thrilled to hear what you guys are working on. I can't wait! Skatter support is great as I am a Skatter owner. What does that mean though? Will Enscape only support proxies created by a Skatter system? Or can we work with our own models and hand place them as proxies? Just curious. Thanks again for your hard work.

• Is there a problem with getting lights to work with the SU version?

Not a particular problem, but it's working differently to Revit so we have to work on it.

Completely thrilled to hear what you guys are working on. I can't wait! Skatter support is great as I am a Skatter owner. What does that mean though? Will Enscape only support proxies created by a Skatter system? Or can we work with our own models and hand place them as proxies? Just curious. Thanks again for your hard work.

You should be able to place your own proxies as well.

• Is there a timeline for lights? I have an opportunity to present a new set design to Disney and instead of using my normal renders and 360 pano images I'd love for them to explore the set in VR, but being an interior it will require lighting.

• Lighting is the next thing on the sketchup agenda, but it's difficult to give a timeline. Although the rendering supports lights already, there is work todo in tooling (you want to set the lights in the scene), data storage (you want the lights to be saved & loaded), data flow (you want the lights to be passed to the renderer) and synchronization (you want to change the lights and see changes immediately). Personally I think it's at least two weeks of work. Taking into consideration the default discrepancy between estimation and reality, the version MIGHT be released four weeks from now. Perhaps we will give an early version to a small group of users, like we did with Skatter support. So don't count on it to be available in the next days.

• I just read, that Enscape3D has this keyword "emissive", on which it reacts. Does this already work?

I just "stumbled" over Enscape3D some hours ago, while googling for Oculus Rift + Unity Engine. Enscape3D looks VERY promising for me, since i am searching for a "easy" solution to get fast, good looking VR presentations into our workflow. The only think i a missing are artificial lights, especially if they where some kind of emitter light.

At the moment i am working with Thea Render (for stills), where i use emitter lights as well, so i would have to just tweak some materials and would be ready to go in no time.

Or if you will be using the classic point/spot lights - can you maybe tell a little bit on how these will be implemented? Changing existing point- or spotlights wich are already in a SketchUp scene should be no problem - which would be just fine.

Anyways - just downloaded the Trial version :)

Andreas Klein
    ---

Cologne / Germany
    System: i7 4790K / GTX 980 / 32Gb / Windows 10 Pro / SketchUp Pro 2016

Edited once, last by AK76 ().

• Lighting is the next thing on the sketchup agenda, but it's difficult to give a timeline. Although the rendering supports lights already, there is work todo in tooling (you want to set the lights in the scene), data storage (you want the lights to be saved & loaded), data flow (you want the lights to be passed to the renderer) and synchronization (you want to change the lights and see changes immediately). Personally I think it's at least two weeks of work. Taking into consideration the default discrepancy between estimation and reality, the version MIGHT be released four weeks from now. Perhaps we will give an early version to a small group of users, like we did with Skatter support. So don't count on it to be available in the next days.

I'll be very willing to help out in testing lights as I did Skatter. Thanks for the transparency.

• What would help for now is basic emitters, using the keyword "emissive" followed by a number that drives the intensity, say a 1-10 scale, so "emissive-1" being lowest to "emissive-10" brightest and not color dependent as creating TV displays or having a bright colored light is not working well right now.

• Yeah, already tried that, but that doesn´t work for lights, i only see "something" when i watch down from the ceiling to the floor. Anyways, artificial lights are coming, totally looking forward to this :)

Oh, by the way - i would like to help as well concerning testing lights since i need a lot of artificial light sources in my models ...

Andreas Klein
    ---

Cologne / Germany
    System: i7 4790K / GTX 980 / 32Gb / Windows 10 Pro / SketchUp Pro 2016

Edited once, last by AK76 ().

• Hi, I've just testing on the system and did a test image, but the lighting did not show up right.

I've already added Emissive to the name of all my lighting material.

Please note that there are three pendent lights, many down lights in the ceiling and a number of down lights under the cupboards above the cooktop and kitchen sink as well but are not showing any intensity on the benchtop and kitchen wall splashback.

Can we increase the intensity of the lighting?

Also, for some reason the glass on the cupboard doors near the ceiling are too bright, as if they are lighting up, but the material are only glass and default (no material that are Emissive). Why is that and how to set it up correctly.

Regards,

Ken