Wishlist: Texture arrays

• The best textures are ones where they cover a large area and are random. Seamless textures where one edge wraps to map to the opposite edge creates an obvious pattern if they spread to repeat over a large area. To solve this I would like to define an array of x textures, each having the same edges so that any one could be seamlessly placed next to any other. The render then randomly mixes the order of the textures when repeating over a large area to make it look really natural.

Specifically this would be for brick walls, gravels, wood, flooring...etc. (I can't actually think on a texture application where this wouldn't produce better results.) The only down side is that there are no current textures like this (that I know of) so you would need to start a new library... but this could be a USP to ship with the product.

• Hi Gadget

this is something that won't work as nicely in reality I'm afraid. If every edge of a tile can match any other edge you'll have repeating patterns again, so the whole gain of your idea will be lost again. The usual solutions to obvious texture tiling are: Better prepared textures with less obvious tiling, more highres textures (to cover a larger area), or combining multiple textures on top of each other via blending (which is currently not possible with Enscape).

Hope that helps ;)

• I can see where you are coming from (you might notice the lines of a grid rather than the squares), but perhaps there are better solutions than a square tile? perhaps a hex texture? Or would that produce even more edges to repeat? Maybe something based around a Fibonacci tiling pattern with several different sized textures? Or maybe have a strange jigsaw edge to each pattern so that you can't pick out the join?

I am not fond on blending options because in my experience you loose definition. But perhaps if you overlay a bump or displacement map it's not so much of an issue. Perhaps combine the two methods and have random sections of a larger sample image used to 'mosaic fill' a large area with blended edges?