Wishlist: Texture arrays

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • The best textures are ones where they cover a large area and are random. Seamless textures where one edge wraps to map to the opposite edge creates an obvious pattern if they spread to repeat over a large area. To solve this I would like to define an array of x textures, each having the same edges so that any one could be seamlessly placed next to any other. The render then randomly mixes the order of the textures when repeating over a large area to make it look really natural.

Specifically this would be for brick walls, gravels, wood, flooring...etc. (I can't actually think on a texture application where this wouldn't produce better results.) The only down side is that there are no current textures like this (that I know of) so you would need to start a new library... but this could be a USP to ship with the product.

• Gadget seamless textures always produce better results as patterns distract.

Currently you have to build your own library. We'll discuss this.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Official Post

Hi Gadget

this is something that won't work as nicely in reality I'm afraid. If every edge of a tile can match any other edge you'll have repeating patterns again, so the whole gain of your idea will be lost again. The usual solutions to obvious texture tiling are: Better prepared textures with less obvious tiling, more highres textures (to cover a larger area), or combining multiple textures on top of each other via blending (which is currently not possible with Enscape).

Hope that helps ;)

• I can see where you are coming from (you might notice the lines of a grid rather than the squares), but perhaps there are better solutions than a square tile? perhaps a hex texture? Or would that produce even more edges to repeat? Maybe something based around a Fibonacci tiling pattern with several different sized textures? Or maybe have a strange jigsaw edge to each pattern so that you can't pick out the join?

I am not fond on blending options because in my experience you loose definition. But perhaps if you overlay a bump or displacement map it's not so much of an issue. Perhaps combine the two methods and have random sections of a larger sample image used to 'mosaic fill' a large area with blended edges?