Glass in Material ID (Refraction/Reflection Layer)

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape (including installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed here. Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi Enscape team,

I'm working on a rendering and I'm getting requests to make the inside of the building on an exterior shot be less apparent (essentially all of the glass panes of the building).

I thought this would be easily achieveable using the Material ID layer and using photoshop, but it turns out that that is the only material type that does not get a color ID, instead it shows the material IDs apparent through the glass.

Is there an easy way I would be able to grab the material ID for the glass without changing the material of the glass to something else:?:

Thanks

• If we would assign the glass a material ID, then

1. You could not have a materialID of the geometry behind OR
    2. You would have a mess of overlayed colors

Therefore, glass is not included in the material ID image. I recommend exporting it a second time with the glass as solid, then you can easily pick it.

• I can't decide getting an ID for glass is a good or bad thing in post-production. Most of the time I am doing what Thomas Willberger recommended. But the real challange appears when you have a glass ballustrade on a corner balcony and the sky can be seen through the glass and you want to change the sky in the post production... That is the exact moment I need an ID for glass. But this problem can be solved via re-rendering with solid glasses of course.

But we definitely need reflection and refraction render elements for getting better result via post-production. Hope it is in the team's agenda.