Hardware

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • So i'm in the process of spec a new machine and I want to better understand how Enscape is working behind the scenes.

Current machine:

CPU: Xeon(R) W-2135 12 core

RTX 2080Ti

32gb ram

My biggest annoyance with Enscape is Crash after crash on large model with high render setting and large image exports. I have to restart constantly to clear my memory so I'm wonder if I need more ram. Come render time what is actually happening? Are my scene asset being dumped onto the GPU VRam or standard RAM?

Im running the latest everything so im looking for a good explanation to what is actually happening at render time.

Cheers!

• Watching task manager whilst I render has shown me that 99% of my crashes in Enscape is when I run out of video memory on my RTX2070 with its 8Gb. I've got 32Gb of system ram and never reach its upper limits.

I was hoping the 30 series would up that but the 3070 is still 8Gb whilst the 3080 has 10 and the very pricy 3090 has 24.

AMD announced the new Radeon cards this week (RX6800, 6800XT and 6900XT) which all have 16Gb of mem and undercut the RTX's price wise. I'd be interested to find out how Enscape performs with non Nvidia cards.

• 1st, what resolution are you modeling live? I prefer 1440p for everything these days. 4K is a waste, IMO. Especially since you need so much UI scaling to be able to read anything. And a lot of apps just don't play well with scaling STILL. Crashes seems to typically be GPU memory dependent. But that 2080ti should have more than enough. Perhaps some textures need optimization? I'd also be hard pressed to see a notable difference between "high" and "ultra" in the Enscape quality slider. Is the PC crashing or just the program? If it's the PC, I'm wondering if you are drawing too much power from the PSU and need a larger more efficient unit? Or have too high overclocks?

Regarding the new PC build:

Hands down it will be the new Ryzen 3 5000 series upcoming CPU's. No contest.

2080ti = RTX3070 at the moment, BUT it's a downgrade to less memory at 8GB. If you need more GPU memory then bump up to the 3080 or get a partner card 3070 with more RAM from EVGA, MSI, etc. At the moment, it appears EVGA only has 8GB cards, so that's not promising yet. This won't be solving any crashes your facing at the moment, though. Just "better" performance. A 3070 would be a sideways move. And the 3080 would be an inefficient use of $$ investment vs the return in performance.

As Paul noted above, AMD just announced the new "big navi" GPU's that will offer even more value/performance per $$. AND they are offering 16GB memory, which is just MASSIVE vs Nvidia cutting cost and only offering 8GB. Pretty obvious Nvidia is getting worried about RTX scalping their Quaddro cards sales #'s for pro's.

• I believe it's the hardware support issue, Enscape deals with different GPU's differently.

I used to have a GTX1660ti 6gb and Enscape used to crash when the I ran out of video memory of 6gb.

Few months back my GTX1660ti died and due to money restriction I had to buy a used GTX1060 6Gb.

To my surprise this card (GTX1060) never let Enscape crash as soon as I hit max video memory.

I noticed in my task manager that when card video memory gets full miraculously Enscape starts utilizing the shared video memory(which is basically the RAM of my system).

I used to have a lot of Enscape crashes when I used to have GTX1660ti but now I hardly suffer any crashes.

I can easily render 4K videos and stills of resolution 7000x5000.

I use a lot of proxies for very big files in SketchUp and keeps the main SketchUp files under (250Mb).

My PC specification: (It's quite an old setup but still running strong)

Intel Xeon E3 1220 v2 (4 core 4 thread) (running on ASUS Z77 mobo)

16Gb ddr3 ram

Zotac GTX1060 6Gb

• Great info. from everyone thank you. So Taking everything into consideration and paying closer attention to the task manager I'm discovering that I'm maxing out my VRam 11GB. After a fresh restart which Preview running my scene file is using 9.8-10 our of the available11gb. At render time most every crash happens once i exceed 10gb so as a result I'm having to reduce output resolution to HD for stills and for pano reduce quality to high.

I can make a guess and say that the additional texture maps (Normal, roughness, Alpha) are contributing however it hard to confirm - all maps are 2k. I feel its unlikely that 2k maps are racking up this much. The actually model is less than 250K mb and the rest is a great number of enscape proxy models, trees, people, cars, etc.

In 3dsMax I can see where the "fat" is in a project with the asset manager UE4 has a great tool as well. Does one exist for Sketchup b/c It would be extremely useful to see what is eating up my vram?

• In 3dsMax I can see where the "fat" is in a project with the asset manager UE4 has a great tool as well. Does one exist for Sketchup b/c It would be extremely useful to see what is eating up my vram?

When it comes to materials there's Material Resizer which helps you to find and resize overly large textures. Used this numerous time to massively reduce file size. There's also CleanUp³, which helps to get rid of unneeded geometry and much more.

• When it comes to materials there's Material Resizer which helps you to find and resize overly large textures. Used this numerous time to massively reduce file size. There's also CleanUp³, which helps to get rid of unneeded geometry and much more.

I use cleanUp all the time it is a must. However, Material Resizer - that looks interesting I'll give it a go. Thanks

• If it's all 2k textures, I'm willing to assume it's not any bloated textures or unnecessary geometry. The base model size of 250MB seems small compared to the rendered 11+ GB the GPU is being asked to push though. So I doubt CleanUp would help much (I also love that extension). Must be a LOT of assets, ya? I've also hit memory limits on my old GPU when trying to render 4k and always had to lower it to HD in order to not crash.

What about turning off environment settings like wind and water movement? Does that lower GPU memory usage?

Are displacement maps being used or normal/bump maps?

Trees will likely be a big hit on performance. Toggle them on/off on their own layer and watch system resources to see if it changes significantly.

• When it comes to materials there's Material Resizer which helps you to find and resize overly large textures. Used this numerous time to massively reduce file size. There's also CleanUp³, which helps to get rid of unneeded geometry and much more.

Okay so the material resizer is good at identifying large maps. However the resize feature doesn't work for me as each time the file crashes. So I'm manually having to local the material in the "in model" tab and resizing with Photoshop.

Is there an easier way to select an object by material. The method SKP using only work at the non grouped level. Any extension that work by zooming into the group that contents the material?

• Okay so the material resizer is good at identifying large maps. However the resize feature doesn't work for me as each time the file crashes. So I'm manually having to local the material in the "in model" tab and resizing with Photoshop.

Well, that's odd, it works perfectly fine for me on SKP21. If you're just looking to find out the largest textures you could also use ThomThoms MaterialTools. Then there's also Texture Resizer which can resize materials based on occupied area and also crop to fit, which might save a couple of megabytes here and there.

Is there an easier way to select an object by material. The method SKP using only work at the non grouped level. Any extension that work by zooming into the group that contents the material?

Check out Selection Toys, this might do exactly what you're looking for.

Use this, Zoom selection, done.

Hope this helps.

• MatthiasL Thanks however your example is very controlled and doesn't work in the situation that I need. This example only works if each object isn't group with objects of different materials.
    The method that I'm using (which doesn't work due to technical limitation of SKP.) is: Using the Material Resizer to identify materials that have very large maps and then finding them in the material tray. From here you can select by material however, if the material is in a group it doesn't make a selection and it is next to impossible to find that material in a model that have many groups components etc.

My work around is using the "edit image from external editor" - down sizing then saving. The only downside is that it hard to verify the location within the model.