AMD 6000 series raytracing, same technique?

Please note: Should you experience issues with Enscape or your subscription, and in case of any urgent inquiries/questions (e.g. regarding our upcoming licensing changes) please reach out to our dedicated support team via the Help Center or Support button as detailed here.
  • Recently AMD announced their new line-up with 16gb of VRAM, which I'm quite interested in.

Ofcourse these are just their first raytracing supported cards, but the first sounds from 6800 xt 'benchmarks' make them look 33% slower on the raytracing aspect, compared to the RTX3080.

My question is, do you guys know if this is the same raytracing technique as Nvidia uses? Because if it is, then Enscape would support it right from the bat, wouldn't it?

What I have found is that it uses DirectX raytracing.

• Recently AMD announced their new line-up with 16gb of VRAM, which I'm quite interested in.

Ofcourse these are just their first raytracing supported cards, but the first sounds from 6800 xt 'benchmarks' make them look 33% slower on the raytracing aspect, compared to the RTX3080.

My question is, do you guys know if this is the same raytracing technique as Nvidia uses? Because if it is, then Enscape would support it right from the bat, wouldn't it?

What I have found is that it uses DirectX raytracing.

It's not the same technique at all, so the chance of it working out of the box for Enscape is slim.

It seems to be a more open-source take on ray-tracing so if it's useful I'm sure the Enscape team will implement it but It will probably take some time (as it did with RTX)

Maybe someone from the team could clarify the intensions?

• I just wanted to edit my post and add that I found out that Nvidia also uses DXR, just like AMD. So I'm interested in the different technique. Bobbechk Have you got any article/source about this difference?

Edit: As it seems, the 6800 is faster than the 2080 ti and 3070 with raytracing on and dlss off. So the stronger 6800xt and 6900xt got my interest even more, next to the amount of VRAM and for the 6900xt even 2/3th of the 3090 price.

• I'll try to explain to the best of my understanding

Enscape uses raytracing to do it's thing trough the DirectX raytracing (I guess) this is used with any GPU (does not have to be RTX)

The Nvidia RTX GPU's have what they call RT-cores, these cores are specialized in raytracing but applications and games has to be instructed to make use of these cores to take advantage of them, this took several months for Enscape to achieve working together with Nvidia.

Similarly if AMD now has it's own Raytracing cores or equivalent hardware that would probably take some time to implement in applications and games

As an example the developers of upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077 has said that it will not support AMD raytracing hardware at release but that they are working on it.

• Thnx for your reply.

I still hope that adding/supporting the raytracing technique in Enscape was the hassle itself and not the hardware itself perse.

Even though Cyberpunk might add it later, this looks hopefull.

AMD clarified that their Radeon RX 6000 RDNA 2 graphics cards will feature full raytracing support in gaming titles that use industry-based standards. According to AMD, they will allow full raytracing support in games that are based on Microsoft's DXR and Vulkan Raytracing APIs and there are a lot of titles that already do that.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeo…__twitter_impression=true

Maybe Clemens Musterle can share his views? :)

• Official Post

Currently Enscape does rely on a Nvidia specific Vulkan extension for RTX raytracing support. However in the meantime there exists a basis for a cross vendor extension for hardware accelerated raytracing in Vulkan (https://www.khronos.org/blog/ray-tracing-in-vulkan). As the upcoming 6X00 GPUs from AMD are supporting DX12/DXR raytracing, we do expect AMD to implement the Vulkan ray tracing extension as well at some point. In that case Enscape users with an AMD 6x00 GPU will benefit from hardware acceleration, just like Nvidia RTX users. Of course no one knows how the performance of those two compares in that regard yet.

Hope that clears up some of it :)

• Thnx Clemens!

You do mention in your post that you expect them to implement it at some point. But doesn't AMD's statement mention they already did that? See my previous post, or is the vulkan raytracing API not the same as vulkan raytracing extension?

• Official Post

The article mentions

AMD will support all ray tracing titles using industry-based standards, including the Microsoft DXR API and the upcoming Vulkan raytracing API.

But generally yes, I do expect that they've internally already implemented support for it or are at least currently working exactly on that. However there's nothing available in that regard yet - we'll probably get more updates on that closer to the actual shipping date of the new gpus I assume.