New 2.9 version in Revit - Problems

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi,

i've downloaded your latest 2.9 version for Revit. And i dont know but just for video texturing first 2 things doesnt work as i thought.

1. custom assets - as i seen that you can import .fbx .obj geometry in revit and than can change materials in you new custom asset feature. This is ok, but this was possible even before this update(you can import fbx to cad and than to revit family and can edit custom materials), ok now its maybe a bit easier and faster but still. Best thing about your program is to have your about 2000 assets and we need to change materials to them, this is most needed update i think for all Revit users. Because this feature doesnt help much for Revit, maybe for Sketchup its great, but not much for Revit. Maybe if we can download your assets in fbx or obj and have them in our local drive, as you add aswell this feature but with .json format , and then we can add them in custom asset feature and change finally their materials, this could be finally our dream feature

2. displacement texture doesnt work in Revit - i know this is maybe Revit thing , that they need to add this possibility but again this is for Sketchup not Revit

I know Sketchup is prior for Enscape, but i think Revit have bigger audience overall, so i hope you will try to fix this for Revit in another updates.

Thank you

• Official Post

Stody12 , thanks a lot for your feedback!

1. I will of course gladly file and forward your inquiries to our developers.

2. It will work already, you will just have to set the Amount of "Bump" (after importing a displacement map into that slot) to over 500, this will ensure that we then activate the displacement mapping.

Also, I'm honest with your here, SketchUp does not have any priority compared to the other CAD solutions, it's just that things like implementing the displacement map functionality for example was a bit easier since we already have a dedicated material editor for SketchUp, but that material editor was only developed in the first place because SketchUp's materials options are not that great - compared to the material options you have in Revit though, everything is provided, so this already then results in great materials.

Still, we are definitely working on improving the usability of displacement maps in Revit as well. For the time being as mentioned above you can still already test it out if you set the value of your bump/normal to over 500. :)

• So I've shared the details in this post, but you *can* edit materials properly now that you can save an offline library, if you're comfortable manually adjusting RGB codes in a text file. Well, technically you could before as well - it's just easier now that all the objects are in one place forever. Textures can be replaced in a similar way, just edit the texture files inside the asset folder.

Enscape 2.9 Released

• So I've shared the details in this post, but you *can* edit materials properly now that you can save an offline library, if you're comfortable manually adjusting RGB codes in a text file. Well, technically you could before as well - it's just easier now that all the objects are in one place forever. Textures can be replaced in a similar way, just edit the texture files inside the asset folder.

Right, but that still changes it everywhere. I wish there was a material 'override' option on assets so that I can have the asset in the library once, but customize the color on a per project basis.

My users are excited about the possibility to edit asset materials, but we need so many variations that we fear the library is going to fill up with 100x the same asset, just with a slightly different material.

• About that 2.

In Revit from 2019 is possibility to add PBR textures to advanced material editor and after that renders are a lot better. You can add normal map, height map, roughness, AO and more, but with default Revit material editor you can not add these PBR textures , but bump texture yes. So maybe you are right you can add displacement to bump in default material editor, but this is absolutely useless, becasue render is really bad with default material editor versus advanced Revit PBR editor( where with PBR textures you are in the differente quality). In advanced PBR revit editor you can add just normal map or height map and with normal map max value is 5mm and with height map is it 254mm , but you cant do 500mm setting for bump map, so this is way displacement maybe working with default Revit editor but for users from 2019 this isnt option anymore.

Thank you