Recommended GPU - Graphics card?

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
    • Official Post

Hi karies128

while the GTX1070 is certainly not optimal it should perform better than 20FPS from my experience. Did you check the resolution settings of the Vive Pro? By default it might render in a higher resolution than required. Please see our knowledgebase article on that issue:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…ual-reality-headset/#vive

A faster gpu is the most relevant component for VR, so go for the RTX2080 (super) in favor of the RTX2070 if you can. VRAM does not directly affect performance as long as all the necessary data fits in. This becomes relevant for really large projects with lot's of high resolution textures or in case you want to render high resolution images (4k and higher).

• Thanks, I'll test it again. So, it's no need for 1080ti or 2080ti (with 11GB). What fps will be on 2080 super for such projects on Ultra Settings in VR(оr 2070 super)?

(I apologize for English I write through a translator)

• Hello,

I got a GTX 1080 Ti. I normally run Enscape VR on medium settings. (Using Samsung HMD Odyssey). Any higher setting makes the experience in VR uncomfortable (lag). However, when I use Enscape on the monitor only, it is smooth on Ultra also. So I'm wondering it is has something to do with the VR headset rather than the GPU. I'm thinking it has to do with FPS limitations, or refresh rate.

Either way, I'm in the same boat as you so would also like to know an answer to this problem.

• Official Post

Hello,

I got a GTX 1080 Ti. I normally run Enscape VR on medium settings. (Using Samsung HMD Odyssey). Any higher setting makes the experience in VR uncomfortable (lag). However, when I use Enscape on the monitor only, it is smooth on Ultra also. So I'm wondering it is has something to do with the VR headset rather than the GPU. I'm thinking it has to do with FPS limitations, or refresh rate.

Either way, I'm in the same boat as you so would also like to know an answer to this problem.

VR is much more demanding than regular on screen rendering, since Enscape has to do most of the computations twice, once for each eye. Also perceived stuttering is much higher when inside a HMD, than when looking at a screen. In VR you usually want to have 60-90FPS, on screen for a use case like Enscape usually 25-30fps is sufficient.

• VR is much more demanding than regular on screen rendering, since Enscape has to do most of the computations twice, once for each eye. Also perceived stuttering is much higher when inside a HMD, than when looking at a screen. In VR you usually want to have 60-90FPS, on screen for a use case like Enscape usually 25-30fps is sufficient.

So? if it can't run on 1080ti, 2080 will be better??? can I run it on ultra at all??? what GPU i need?

What fps will be on 2080 super for such projects on Ultra Settings in VR(оr 2070 super)?

• VR is much more demanding than regular on screen rendering, since Enscape has to do most of the computations twice, once for each eye. Also perceived stuttering is much higher when inside a HMD, than when looking at a screen. In VR you usually want to have 60-90FPS, on screen for a use case like Enscape usually 25-30fps is sufficient.

So what you are saying is a 1080 Ti is not good enough? If that is the case then I am happy with that answer. Just thought since I can run other VR programs/ games perfectly, with obviously more intense graphics than Enscape medium settings. So this just might have to do with how Enscape is programmed? Nothing wrong with that, I ask that since I have worked with Unreal Engine also, and there was always a number of ways to improve performance for VR which made huge differences while keeping mostly the same quality.

I do clean up the scene in Sketchup first, and then render Enscape as a stand alone exe, to try and get things to run as smooth as possible. I also do know that VR ideally needs 90FPS, and when it does not get that it skips down to 45FPS (at least that was the case with Vive, not sure if this is still the case) which would explain lag in VR easily since there is no gradual decrease in frames that you might not notice.

Anyway, if the 1080 Ti is simply not good enough for this, then I consider my question answered. This might even mean a 2080 might not be good enough either, simply a case of a technological boundary we face today? Or are there any other reason why a 1080 Ti (simply asking about 1080 since it's what I have) can not keep up with Enscape on High or Ultra?

What do you guys, the Enscape team, use for VR? And on what settings do you use it?

Thank you for taking the time to respond I appreciate it!

• Official Post

So what you are saying is a 1080 Ti is not good enough?

This definitely depends on a lot of things, including what does your project look like (e.g. lot's of light sources are expensive to render), what HMD you're using (their image resolution varies significantly). For less complex projects a GTX1080ti should be absolutely sufficient to run Enscape in VR on medium settings, for others in won't. The RTX2080 will give you much better performance in any case, but since you're absolutely free to build a scene of huge complexity there might be scenarios where you won't achieve fluent performance even with RTX2080, yes. The difference to games is, that they can optimize specifically for their levels and have a lot more restrictions in contrast to Enscape.

So? if it can't run on 1080ti, 2080 will be better??? can I run it on ultra at all??? what GPU i need?

Yes the RTX2080 will be significantly better. It will however most likely also not provide smooth performance on larger projects on quality Ultra. This quality level should mostly be considered for still renderings and not VR unless you don't care about performance or do have super fast machine and performance optimized project.

• This definitely depends on a lot of things, including what does your project look like (e.g. lot's of light sources are expensive to render), what HMD you're using (their image resolution varies significantly). For less complex projects a GTX1080ti should be absolutely sufficient to run Enscape in VR on medium settings, for others in won't. The RTX2080 will give you much better performance in any case, but since you're absolutely free to build a scene of huge complexity there might be scenarios where you won't achieve fluent performance even with RTX2080, yes. The difference to games is, that they can optimize specifically for their levels and have a lot more restrictions in contrast to Enscape.

Yes the RTX2080 will be significantly better. It will however most likely also not provide smooth performance on larger projects on quality Ultra. This quality level should mostly be considered for still renderings and not VR unless you don't care about performance or do have super fast machine and performance optimized project.

Thanks for the reply,

To give you an idea of the complexity of an example from one of my projects, the export Enscape.exe file size was 143MB. It was a smaller house. While high settings do work kind of OK, medium settings worked best in VR. (So far medium settings has worked on every project of any caliber for me so that's fine too). And yes, I also realise something like a game would be much better optimized compared to something open like Enscape.

I think I am satisfied, thank you for your feedback!

• This definitely depends on a lot of things, including what does your project look like (e.g. lot's of light sources are expensive to render), what HMD you're using (their image resolution varies significantly). For less complex projects a GTX1080ti should be absolutely sufficient to run Enscape in VR on medium settings, for others in won't. The RTX2080 will give you much better performance in any case, but since you're absolutely free to build a scene of huge complexity there might be scenarios where you won't achieve fluent performance even with RTX2080, yes. The difference to games is, that they can optimize specifically for their levels and have a lot more restrictions in contrast to Enscape.

Thanks for the reply!

So, I don't want to spend a lot of money on RTX2080 and get the same thing)

can such projects like (https://prnt.sc/qveld7) run in ultra on 2080 with normal fps (70-90)?

• I have the GTX 1080 (Not the TI version) in my older laptop, and the RTX 2080TI in my desktop, and have found that VR performance on my 1080 can be severely impacted by the OTHER things your computer may be doing at the same time. For example, running Powerpoint or a ZOOM meeting simultaneously can cripple the 1080 frame-rate, whereas the 2080 TI can do OK,

Another thing to keep in mind is how many displays your VR machine is driving. If you're running a laptop with a 4K screen, try lowering that resolution to 1080P before launching Enscape or VR. If you're using the "extend display" to drive yet another monitor or projector, considering switching to mirroring instead, or even turn off your main display. All of this reduces the amount of VRAM being used by screens other than your headset.

Do the math.... VR headset can be 2880x1080 or 2x1440x1080 - ish (or more for newer HMDs) , your main screen might be 4k, an external LCD or projector could be another 1080P or 4K

That adds up to a lot of work for the GPU to drive simultaneously.

Lastly, when Enscape enables VR, it drops the quality setting automatically by at least one level (Ultra drops to high). Can this reduction be overridden for ultra high end GPU's?

• Interesting. I am using a 4K monitor. And normally for VR extend to a HD TV also. I was wondering if this could impact also. I have asked specifically about this about a year and a half ago and got no definite answer to this so I thought well I guess it's not such a big deal. And as for the computer doing multiple things at the same time, I only run the Mixed Reality application (need it for my HMD) along with Steam VR controller app with Enscape stand alone exe when doing VR. For reference my specs are:

i7 7800X 3.5GHZ

64GB DDR 4

GTX 1080 Ti

So that's why I only ever mention my GPU, as I don't think my other specs are bottle necking or anything. I will try running VR mirrored on HD (TV, disabling the 4K monitor then) only and give feedback.

Thanks for that, it is something else I was wondering about but has since written off.

Edit: I just now tried (I work on two 4K monitors, this does not apply when using VR though, as then I use one 4K monitor with HD TV set to extend like mentioned above). So what I tried now was unplugging the one monitor, and setting the other one to 1080 resolution. Launched a project in VR on Ultra, and it seemed to work almost perfect (Just some controller visual lag going on, not too big a deal, but the head motion was almost perfect).

But then I decided well let's go back to 4K and use both 4K monitors, and launch the project again, just to compare. And sadly I got the same result, everything looked ok. (Not sure why as normally it's far from ok, and I was hoping there would be a difference). But I'll try with the HD TV at some point, and see what happens, although I don't suspect there would be a difference between that and the test I just performed.

Thanks for the info though!

• so? can you test one of "Enscape Sample Project"? what fps you have on ultra? is it comortable on ultra with your GPU?

Thanks

• People keep mentioning the 2080 as though it's the best, but the 2080ti is 34% faster. If you want the best performance in VR, it can't be beat (other than the Titan RTX, but it's more than twice as expensive and only 11% faster, though it does have considerably more VRAM). And then there's the forthcoming 3000 series that will likely be coming out later this year, which could be worth waiting for.

• Official Post

Hi. I just bought a Vive PRO. I ran your Free Sample Projects "residence" and got 20 FPS in Draft Quality in VR (I have a gtx1070). Help, which card is needed for Ultra Settings in VR (minimum) for such projects? What is more important to have faster GPU (rtx2070, rtx2080) or more GB of GPU RAM (gtx1080ti) and got 60 FPS and more?

The Vive Pro in general (if operated with full resolution) does require a very good (high-end) graphics card. The GTX 1070 would be the minimum requirement, but, make sure that the resolution is actually set to anything below or at 100% as detailed in the "Best Practice" section here:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…ual-reality-headset/#vive

So in this case setting it 75% for example should already yield more performance. Or of course if it was set over 100%, then setting it 100% should also help.

I suppose that it was set over 100% which is why you were experiencing this low performance - please also definitely make sure that your graphics card drivers are fully up to date! Does that help?

Overall, it does boil down to the GPU mainly, so if you have around 8-16GB of RAM, then that is more than sufficient usually and it's recommended to focus on a good GPU.

• Yes, it's much better. but the question is still: will be enough rtx 2080 for Ultra on such a project (https://prnt.sc/qxazbv)???

do I need to buy 2080 for ultra or is it still not enough?

• Official Post

The RTX 2080 should be more than plenty for this particular project in general since it's not really that demanding performance wise. Even the GTX 1080 Ti should be sufficient, depending on the set resolution of course. So if you plan to use the HTC Vive Pro with its full resolution all the time, an upgrade to the RTX 2080 would probably be wise, otherwise decreasing that resolution as mentioned should also help.

• Official Post

Honestly, I'm running this very project fluently on an Oculus Rift on a GTX 1080. Just for context. The Oculus Rift of course has a lower resolution compared to the HTC Vive Pro.

• Well now, my SteamVR Resolution was set (Recommended) to 150%. I put it down to 100%, and suddenly Ultra settings worked fine in VR. Such a simple thing. But will see how it goes. Thanks for that!

• Hi,

I have my own architecture firm, at present I am using Autodesk Revit, and Robot. I am planning of start learning enscape. What would you guys recommend me to buy so that I can use VR capabilities of enscape with Revit. Would a laptop with RTX 2060 would be enough. My budget at present is tight. Which laptop would be great for under 2000$.

• Official Post

Hi,

I have my own architecture firm, at present I am using Autodesk Revit, and Robot. I am planning of start learning enscape. What would you guys recommend me to buy so that I can use VR capabilities of enscape with Revit. Would a laptop with RTX 2060 would be enough. My budget at present is tight. Which laptop would be great for under 2000$.

A warm welcome to our forum Zeshan Ali . :)

A RTX 2060 is a solid choice for Enscape VR, of course, if you find a good offer for the RTX 2070 or RTX 2080, then that will make you even more future proof.

Check out which VR headsets we support:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…-virtual-reality-headset/

And let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.