SketchUp texture location

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hey there lovely people.

Where exactly does SketchUp place the materials in a model on ones machine?

I'm looking at Sketchup files from colleagues that have the textures embedded in SketchUp but Enscape renders grey.

I'm hoping I can simply relink them, if I only knew where to find them!

Any assistance would be so much appreciated.

Cheers,

Manuela

• Official Post

houseofmanuela , sorry for the late reply! So, usually they should be saved in the following directory:

C:\Users\ [your username] \AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp [version number]\SketchUp\Materials\

But this can also be adjusted, so maybe your colleague did that already. You may want to check out this website for even more info.

• This thread is good timing. I'm trying to find a guide or resource page which shows the best practice for keeping a library of textures in SketchUp that I can use with Enscape that have the albedo, height, reflection, etc all mapped and consistent. I've been winging it for a while now and doing everything manually or importing from previous models and it's a very sloppy approach.

• This thread is good timing. I'm trying to find a guide or resource page which shows the best practice for keeping a library of textures in SketchUp that I can use with Enscape that have the albedo, height, reflection, etc all mapped and consistent. I've been winging it for a while now and doing everything manually or importing from previous models and it's a very sloppy approach.

Hi Tim,

It took me a lot of evenings to create my own library, but 'hey', so can you;

step 1 - save within SU your favorite materials by opening previous projects you've worked on and save them, or start from '+' aka scratch
    step 2 - select the saved material, from the materials tab in SU and alter the material with bump etc

step 3 - save a lot of time

• This has been more of less the way I've handled them, but I'd like a better/cleaner system for fully mapped materials. SketchUp wasn't designed with that in mind, so I'm hopeful Enscape will have a more robust solutions in the future.

I found SketchUp Essentials video helpful, although it confirms that it is a lot of work and manual organization. I'm also constantly fiddling with height/reflection properties in every model as I learn how to best use each material, so it's be helpful to me if it were a global thing. Finding the right balance of material settings and having it apply back to other models.

• This has been more of less the way I've handled them, but I'd like a better/cleaner system for fully mapped materials. SketchUp wasn't designed with that in mind, so I'm hopeful Enscape will have a more robust solutions in the future.

I found SketchUp Essentials video helpful, although it confirms that it is a lot of work and manual organization. I'm also constantly fiddling with height/reflection properties in every model as I learn how to best use each material, so it's be helpful to me if it were a global thing. Finding the right balance of material settings and having it apply back to other models.

I agree there are better ways Tim, still it isn't much a hassle in my opinion.

In general there is a lot room for improvement in E3D (textures, IES, HDR, etc)

Lumion has a very good organized library with materials. Have a look...

There should be a library for these natively in E3D

I was hoping 3.0 would had them.

But having the beta running I don't see any proof for my hopes

• I was able to pretty quickly save some common textures as I worked today. It is simple, but if prefer it in the program as a library. I dislike the sidebar in SketchUp for finding materials. I was also hoping for a library like Lumion in Enscape V3. We can still hope!

• I was able to pretty quickly save some common textures as I worked today. It is simple, but if prefer it in the program as a library. I dislike the sidebar in SketchUp for finding materials. I was also hoping for a library like Lumion in Enscape V3. We can still hope!

Glad it worked out for you. It's not perfect but not a hassle either.