SketchUp texture location

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hey there lovely people.

Where exactly does SketchUp place the materials in a model on ones machine?

I'm looking at Sketchup files from colleagues that have the textures embedded in SketchUp but Enscape renders grey.

I'm hoping I can simply relink them, if I only knew where to find them!

Any assistance would be so much appreciated.

Cheers,

Manuela

• Official Post

houseofmanuela , sorry for the late reply! So, usually they should be saved in the following directory:

C:\Users\ [your username] \AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp [version number]\SketchUp\Materials\

But this can also be adjusted, so maybe your colleague did that already. You may want to check out this website for even more info.

• This thread is good timing. I'm trying to find a guide or resource page which shows the best practice for keeping a library of textures in SketchUp that I can use with Enscape that have the albedo, height, reflection, etc all mapped and consistent. I've been winging it for a while now and doing everything manually or importing from previous models and it's a very sloppy approach.

• This thread is good timing. I'm trying to find a guide or resource page which shows the best practice for keeping a library of textures in SketchUp that I can use with Enscape that have the albedo, height, reflection, etc all mapped and consistent. I've been winging it for a while now and doing everything manually or importing from previous models and it's a very sloppy approach.

Hi Tim,

It took me a lot of evenings to create my own library, but 'hey', so can you;

step 1 - save within SU your favorite materials by opening previous projects you've worked on and save them, or start from '+' aka scratch
    step 2 - select the saved material, from the materials tab in SU and alter the material with bump etc

step 3 - save a lot of time

• This has been more of less the way I've handled them, but I'd like a better/cleaner system for fully mapped materials. SketchUp wasn't designed with that in mind, so I'm hopeful Enscape will have a more robust solutions in the future.

I found SketchUp Essentials video helpful, although it confirms that it is a lot of work and manual organization. I'm also constantly fiddling with height/reflection properties in every model as I learn how to best use each material, so it's be helpful to me if it were a global thing. Finding the right balance of material settings and having it apply back to other models.

• This has been more of less the way I've handled them, but I'd like a better/cleaner system for fully mapped materials. SketchUp wasn't designed with that in mind, so I'm hopeful Enscape will have a more robust solutions in the future.

I found SketchUp Essentials video helpful, although it confirms that it is a lot of work and manual organization. I'm also constantly fiddling with height/reflection properties in every model as I learn how to best use each material, so it's be helpful to me if it were a global thing. Finding the right balance of material settings and having it apply back to other models.

I agree there are better ways Tim, still it isn't much a hassle in my opinion.

In general there is a lot room for improvement in E3D (textures, IES, HDR, etc)

Lumion has a very good organized library with materials. Have a look...

There should be a library for these natively in E3D

I was hoping 3.0 would had them.

But having the beta running I don't see any proof for my hopes

• I was able to pretty quickly save some common textures as I worked today. It is simple, but if prefer it in the program as a library. I dislike the sidebar in SketchUp for finding materials. I was also hoping for a library like Lumion in Enscape V3. We can still hope!

• I was able to pretty quickly save some common textures as I worked today. It is simple, but if prefer it in the program as a library. I dislike the sidebar in SketchUp for finding materials. I was also hoping for a library like Lumion in Enscape V3. We can still hope!

Glad it worked out for you. It's not perfect but not a hassle either.