Custom 3d Assets for Vectorworks - Vegetation

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • *Posting here because there is no 'create thread' in the Vectorworks area* (Why not?)

I want to use custom 3d plants in Vectorworks. I can get models in FBX and Sketchup format from Globe Plants, but I don't have Sketchup. Vectorworks can import Sketchup files, but I don't know how to turn those into custom assets.

Does the custom asset editor support FBX files? If not, what format should I look for? If so, do I just import the FBX file into the editor? Then what?

Are there any step by step instructions for using the custom asset editor to create assets? Supported file types?

Hoping someone can help with this.

• Official Post

Themeda , sorry to hear about this problem! You should be able to create new threads in the Vectorworks area too, can you re-try and let me know in case you're still unsuccessful? In any case, I have also moved your thread here accordingly.

Furthermore, check out this in-depth guide for our new Custom Asset functionality:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…dgebase/custom-asset-lib/

If any specific questions arise, let me know anytime!

• Demian Gutberlet thanks for your response. The 'create thread' button is available now. I was able to click the button and launch the thread dialog, but I didn't test further. I'll assume it works. Thanks!

That guide is perfect! Just what I was looking for. I've tried to create a custom asset with an FBX file, but I got the attached error after clicking 'import geometry' then browsing to the FBX file and selecting it. So, I wasn't able to create the custom asset. Any idea what this error means?

• Official Post

Demian Gutberlet thanks for your response. The 'create thread' button is available now. I was able to click the button and launch the thread dialog, but I didn't test further. I'll assume it works. Thanks!

That guide is perfect! Just what I was looking for. I've tried to create a custom asset with an FBX file, but I got the attached error after clicking 'import geometry' then browsing to the FBX file and selecting it. So, I wasn't able to create the custom asset. Any idea what this error means?

Sorry to hear about that.

Do you receive this error message with any file you try to import? Perhaps it's just this one .fbx file? And if so, where did you get the file from, or how has it been exported and such? :)

Should you experience this with any file, please send in a feedback report and include a link to this thread in the submission form.

Thank you in advance!

• Thanks for the quick reply, Demian Gutberlet.

I'm currently evaluating the 3d plant images supplied by Globe Plants. I purchased one of their files to test with the custom editor. First, I got the sketchup version, which I opened in VW, then exported to OBJ. I was able to import the OBJ file into the custom editor, and generate an asset. But it didn't look or perform as expected in VW. So I asked them to supply the FBX version. I don't know the details of how it was exported, and such. Is there a preferred method for exporting the models for use in Enscape? A preferred renderer to export from?

Unfortunately, this is the only FBX file I have to work with. It may be a problem with this file only, but I can't test unless I have more files for comparison. Do you know where I could get a free FBX file to test? I hope it's not a problem with all the FBX files from Globe Plants, because I really want to be able to use their models with Vectorworks and Enscape. I haven't been able to find a comparable product of the plants I require. I suspect I won't be the only landscape designer that would like to use these models with this software combination, so I'm hoping we can work together somehow to make it happen!

Do you think someone from Enscape can talk to someone at Globe Plants about making their models compatible with Enscape/VW? They currently support Sketchup (with Enscape), Lumion, 3ds Max, Blender, and Cinema 4d.