Tips for realism in walkthroughs

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi everyone.. i have been tinkering away with my materials in Revit for a couple of years now and my walkthroughs have improved significatly.

Over the past 6 months or so i seem to have reached a bit of a ceiling with regards to realism. I have tried all the tricks i have read on the net.. PBR materials etc.

It just seems like the Sketch up renders/walkthroughs are far superior and i cant really get close to them.

I have a 60sec video on youtube here Enscape Walkthrough of a house we are currently in looking to build for a client.

If anyone has any tips they could share for adding an extra layer or polish. I would love to hear it and hopefully others can learn also.

• You need to improve a lot with the material settings, control and control the lights, everything you do looks like you're using the default settings. The properties of the material are also completely ignored. I think you should review the youtube tutorials one more time.

I show to you a video of the screen while I am presenting the solution to a client.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGZaOZIpP3o

• Hi Vanderz,

great work!
    Only one note: There is too much reflection on the ceiling in the living room. It look to much green. So play with the reflection of the ceiling material, test a little bit self illumination of this material.

Did you use IES-Lights for the Downlights ?

Kind regards, Bernhard

• Thanks for taking the time Fetzerman. I never really noticed that until you brought it to my attention. Its amazing what different "lenses" pick up! Greatly appreciated mate.

• You need to improve a lot with the material settings, control and control the lights, everything you do looks like you're using the default settings. The properties of the material are also completely ignored. I think you should review the youtube tutorials one more time.

I show to you a video of the screen while I am presenting the solution to a client.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGZaOZIpP3o

So your Tip is to review Youtube videos? Very Helpful! Just for reference, none of the materials have been ignored.. they are as good as i seem to be able to get them. Hence why i asked for help...

• Các bác sĩ cho biết:

Vậy Mẹo của bạn là xem lại video Youtube? Rất hữu ích! Chỉ để tham khảo, không có tài liệu nào bị bỏ qua .. chúng tốt như tôi dường như có thể lấy được chúng. Do đó, tại sao tôi lại yêu cầu sự giúp đỡ ...

The first: you need to thoroughly research the type of materials.

Second: learn to control all types of lights, especially spot lights.

3rd : Learn the tricks of rendering on youtube

4th : (it is secondary, but very important) needs to maximize the detail of everything. For example the chair, you have to use the best model, not the regular one.

• there is actually many trick that you can try,

first shot turn the lithning , so the sun give shadow from right to left not from the top like you did,

the asphalt texture is way to grey without any relief and try some reflection,

https://quixel.com/megascans/h…=surface&category=asphalt

here good example

I can't believe that your Asphalt is PBR,

the wood could be a little bit brown, and some reflection too

the grass is ok but too uniform put some different species small one even if they don't exist,

realism come from the fact that nothing is really linear,

use a little bit of chromatic abberration, will help dirt a bit the quality did you try displacement for the stone , just a little it will help with the shadow,

the white is actually too white, even on bright sun you get some subtle bump alterations, try lowering it a bit, the brightness,

also the way you move with the camera try cinematic perpective you go everywhere

try this can of move , is will help a little,

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

the wood fences is way to linear again, and to yellow ugly, try some alterations, texture,

just for the first shot,

concrete below car should have a little bit of reflection and maybe more bump,

it help set the car on the ground very subtle

• That is amazing feedback Analyser.. thank you for taking the time to write that and for the link to videos also... I've got some research to do!

• Couple of thoughts:

Turn down the saturation - by quite a lot based on that video. Especially outside it looks almost cartoony with how bright and saturated the colours are.

Turn down glossiness, even if something was very glossy in reality I don't think we would perceive it like that. There would also always be imperfections reducing the effect. E.g. that stone floor reflects too much and draws away attention.

As was already said reduce the white and add some imperfections with a bump map. Sometimes being not-realistic ends up being perceived as more realistic. E.g. over-exaggerating a walls plaster finish or oversizing concrete or wood texture to bring out more of the grain. Bring this out with a bump map.

Cinematics. The camera is moving very fast and there are changes of angle and direction with the camera jumping around. Put more thought in simple camera angles with slower and more thought panning moves. Use time to cut and put together a series of such clips with simple transitions. Less is more.

Post-processing. Maybe try playing around with colour and tone in post-processing. You could try adding some very light blur/fog. Note: very light. Less is more with effects. Rendering can never be as realistic as the real world so blurring the boundaries will make it harder to notice.

• Also Have you used an HDRI sky box ???

a good one make a huge difference compare to skybox,

here a screen straight from revit, low res.

I have played with Skyboxes in other projects with varying degrees of success.. i can to the conclusion that it was best leave them alone as the time spent getting lighting right wasnt worth the payoff