Enscape Skybox infant question

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi guys, I am a newbie to Sketchup Escape skybox!

My question-

What is the difference between HDR vs HDRI?

Are they the same and they both can be utilized as the Escape skybox map?

Both terms are used frequently together and yet the skybox file extension is HDR.

I am having far more luck sourcing HDRI maps vs HDR, hence my question.

thanks inadvance.

best

J

• Official Post

Welcome to our forum! :)

Let me just excerpt what they wrote on HDRI Haven, another free really great HDR / HDRI source:

"It really doesn't matter which term you use, people generally understand you either way. But if you want something to boast to your English teacher about, 'HDR' stands for 'High Dynamic Range', and the 'I' at the end stands for 'Image'...

So you cannot say 'This is an HDR' because 'high dynamic range' is one big adjective without a noun. But you can say 'This is an HDRI' because 'image' is the noun that is being described as 'high dynamic range'. You can also say 'This is an HDR image', or 'This is an HDR panorama', as long as there's a noun after it.

But like I said, it doesn't really matter. 'HDR' and 'HDRI' are both commonly used as nouns that mean the same thing."

So as mentioned above, it's the same basically. As in, you can use both .HDR or .HDRI files as a skybox in Enscape!