Colour Glass

• I'm trying to add Coloured Glass to my building - I can't seem to get it right. When you add a colour the glass tends to go totally opaque or clear / not showing the colour at all. I tried a few things (multiple planes and different textures) but no success - any tips out there?

• That's a good workaround from Micha for the effect you try to achieve (judging from the image). Colored shadows via tinted light that transmits the colored glass is not yet supported however.

• This thread is a old, but I was looking for an answer and came up with something that worked well enough for my purposes, so I thought I would share for the next person looking. It isn't perfect, but it got the point across. The "glass" is an image of stained glass. I setup the material as a light emitting material, and picked the emitting color to play off the color of my stained glass texture (a cream-ish color). Then I played with the luminance level until I reflected off the nearby materials to create the effect. The color obviously isn't coming from the sun through the window, so you have to play with the angle of the image to make the effect work. Its a simple, un-perfect solution, but it worked in my case.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/Js6HSGp.png]

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/PjgLjtR.jpg]

• That's a good workaround from Micha for the effect you try to achieve (judging from the image). Colored shadows via tinted light that transmits the colored glass is not yet supported however.

So Thomas, when this function is going to release in Enscape? My recent project has a under-water room design, which requires tinted glass color to cast tinted sunlight into the room. Like this lighting situation,

• Hi kevinzhou , welcome to the forums!

We are experimenting with various approaches to tinted shadows and hope to be able to deliver a correctly working support for this feature in one of our upcoming releases.

However, in your case, kevinzhou, the result would still not look realistic. It's one thing to color light while it's passing through a semi-transparent surface like glass, and a whole other thing to refract light correctly when travelling through water.

The caustics you see currently at the bottom of a water pool are achieved using textures, which is a very effective way for real-time rendering and does not require actual simulation.

Applying this to light that travels through a water volume and comes out on the other side would be an entirely different story, and, luckily, does not occur as often.

So, in short, I'm afraid we won't have a solution to this particular request for the foreseeable future. We're glad for your feedback, nonetheless!