Shadows receive or cast problem

• Hi,

How can I make an Sketchup object NOT to cast shadows in my Enscape render or video.

There are boxes in SketchUp object Entity Info to make the object not to receive or cast shadows but it has no effect on Enscape renders or videos

I am trying to make a video of an stadium using a big cylinder with a panorama pic as background but the cylinder cast....shadows :(

Do anyone has an idea of how to fix this issue?

Regards

• Could someone perhaps from Enscape staff confirm that it is not possible to stop Sketchup or any 3d object from casting shadows out of the default Enscape sun brightness?

I have tried using 0 in the sun brightness setup but all looks odd and ugly.

Regards

• Could someone perhaps from Enscape staff confirm that it is not possible to stop Sketchup or any 3d object from casting shadows out of the default Enscape sun brightness?

I have tried using 0 in the sun brightness setup but all looks odd and ugly.

Regards

I'm not aware of any solution to help with objects not casting shadows in Enscape itself - may I ask, is there no chance for you to use a dedicated .HDRI file instead of a cylinder as your skybox? :) You can also gladly send me the background image file you've been using so far and I'm sure there is a way to convert it so that it can be used as a sky in Enscape.

• I'm not aware of any solution to help with objects not casting shadows in Enscape itself - may I ask, is there no chance for you to use a dedicated .HDRI file instead of a cylinder as your skybox? :) You can also gladly send me the background image file you've been using so far and I'm sure there is a way to convert it so that it can be used as a sky in Enscape.

Hey Demian,

How to use the HDRI as skybox in Enscape if not textured onto an object or to a face?. Is there any way to use it as the Enscape Atmosphere "horizon" if that is perhaps what you do mean?

Btw, I did send a mail to your support department asking the same question, so no need to answer my mail if I finally get it to work with your help.

• Hey Demian,

How to use the HDRI as skybox in Enscape if not textured onto an object or to a face?. Is there any way to use it as the Enscape Atmosphere "horizon" if that is perhaps what you do mean?

Btw, I did send a mail to your support department asking the same question, so no need to answer my mail if I finally get it to work with your help.

If you could attach the texture for me that would be great and I'll see what I can - also, have you considered creating a large plane where you attach the texture too, instead of a cylinder? You would have to create multiple planes probably or move the existing one around, but that may at least provide a workaround. Given that you'd have to make sure that the camera is not directly behind the plane for example.

• Found the System Data/textures/ horizon place. I did try with a skybox HDR image.

Although you see the HDR projected in the horizon when moving the camera up (in the animation/video), there is a huge gap to fill between the object & the horizon and that is an issue on itself because then you need to model a terrain, vegetation, architecture, etc, etc. By using a cylinder with a proper texture you avoid the gap and to built all the objects mentioned.

If you do not have any other suggestion I rest my case.

I hope you guys get that way to stop objects from receiving/casting shadow for your next releases. As you may know, all other render engines have this command.

edit, I saw your answer after my latest post. those planes with textures you suggest have to be in "vertical" position and that creates.... shadows. I am talking about an animation not a still render.

• I see - yeah, it can be tricky modifying the horizon files themselves. As mentioned, if you attach the file itself I have an example of why it would be great to support something like objects not casting shadows and such, if it's confidential I can also understand that.

• I see - yeah, it can be tricky modifying the horizon files themselves. As mentioned, if you attach the file itself I have an example of why it would be great to support something like objects not casting shadows and such, if it's confidential I can also understand that.

Not any secret with the picture :-) , it is just a jpg panorama picture I found in the net. I have made a PNG file using the panorama picture copying several times sideways to end up with the same horizon dimensions as the default ones used by the program and then tried.

It is not how it looks but more the "gap" in between the object and the edge of the horizon.

You can try yourself by placing a building, then a camera in front of it, then move the camera up above the top of the building and finally rotate the camera around the building, aiming at the building of course. You will see the gap I am talking about all the way when rotating around the building, that gap needs to be filled up with something to make it look realistic or at least a bit realistic. The big gap is gone if you use a cylinder around the building with the textured panorama picture.

Thanks again for your help :-)

• Hey Demian,

I was thinking, couldn't you guys simply make Enscape to keep SketchUp object Entity Info command to make the object not to receive or cast shadows?

....just a suggestion

Yeah, that is of course an idea. I will add it to the existing feature request, thanks a lot! :)

• Fiat500´s concern and suggestion is valid and not so uncommon at all. I remember that my first Artlantis render (about year 2000) already had the cause/receive shadow feature back then which could be assigned to any material or object (asset) as desired within Artlantis's own material editor.
    Also, Artlantis already had the cool option of using one HDRI or backdrop for a visible background only and another HDRI or backdrop for lighting only if wanted or needed. Since Enscapes background options are so impractical even for me so far, an upgrade of these options would be very desirable also for me ;-)