Using google maps 3d data in Enscape

• Almost certainly isn't... clearly it has occurred to Google that their 3D dataset would be useful outside of their application. If Google wanted to provide this capability they would have. Sketchup would have been a logical connection but they chose to only allow for 2D import. More recently Google Studio has provided great access for this type of use case (via a different methodolody) Google again chose not to allow for export of the 3D data.

It is unlikely they will go after a user like Herbo. A software developer enabling this type of use to be scaled up might raise eyebrows.

Yes, you are probably right!

• Hi Herbo,

Yesterday I've found, after your post, the video you also refer to;
    I'm already stuck at
    0:53 I don't get the tick box after selecting the zip file.
    Even having the file not unzipped, when finding through Blender, It seems to be unzipped and I see this;
    utils.py/ rdutils.py/ properties.py/ prefenrences.py/ panels.py/ operators.py/ and so on. Any thoughts?

• Very cool, nice work Herbo! Extracting photogrammetry data from Google Earth has long been a wish of mine, and I'm glad to see there's finally a practical way to do it.

Has anyone else seen the new 3d Textured Mesh Cities option from Placemaker though? I believe they must be using a similar process to yours to get the GE data into Sketchup. The catch is you have to pay for it and it only appears to be available for North America and Australia at the moment. Given how involved the import process is though, I could see it being worth it for a lot of folks. They have a price estimator if you scroll to the bottom of their page, around $200/ sq. kilometer, which isn't bad unless you're trying to download a whole city...

https://www.suplacemaker.com/3d-mesh-cities/

• I believe they must be using a similar process to yours to get the GE data into Sketchup

Not really, Placemaker doesn't use Google Earth's data. They use 2D and 3D data from Nearmap.

You have to pay because Nearmap provides a paid service, accessing their data is not free. And I guess Mind.Sight.Studio probably takes a small margin on top of it to cover their own costs as well.

• Not really, Placemaker doesn't use Google Earth's data. They use 2D and 3D data from Nearmap.

You have to pay because Nearmap provides a paid service, accessing their data is not free. And I guess Mind.Sight.Studio probably takes a small margin on top of it to cover their own costs as well.

Interesting, I guess I didn't realize the degree to which the two services are distinct from one another. This quote from their CEO seems to explain it well.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-n…-better-than-Google-Earth

• Thanks for posting the PlaceMaker link. We have looked at NearMap but the base subscription is fairly costly. Seems odd that they would allow mind.sight to sell their data a la carte without the subscription.

Will be interesting to compare PlaceMaker with the Google Earth capture. From what I understand NearMap is updated more frequently and may have a higher resolution mesh (though it still looks fairly chunky.) For all the grief Apple got when they first released their "melting" 3D maps, they were kind of ahead of the curve on that. And the current Apple 3D data generally looks better than Google (or NearMap, from what I've seen.) I wonder if their underlying captures are available through anyone else.

• Thanks for posting the PlaceMaker link. We have looked at NearMap but the base subscription is fairly costly. Seems odd that they would allow mind.sight to sell their data a la carte without the subscription.

Will be interesting to compare PlaceMaker with the Google Earth capture. From what I understand NearMap is updated more frequently and may have a higher resolution mesh (though it still looks fairly chunky.) For all the grief Apple got when they first released their "melting" 3D maps, they were kind of ahead of the curve on that. And the current Apple 3D data generally looks better than Google (or NearMap, from what I've seen.) I wonder if their underlying captures are available through anyone else.

We at mind.sight.studios (PlaceMaker) have a contract with Nearmap that allows us to legally resell their 3D and 2D data to our PlaceMaker end users.

Unfortunately, the Nearmap 3D data is not on par yet with Google in terms of quality but it will continue to improve over time. It is still extremely useful for bird's eye views. We are also pursuing other sources to allow our users to access this type of textured 3D context legally (and provide coverage for more parts of the world). As has been said already, the process mentioned above to import Google's 3D data is not even close to legal.

I also wanted to mention that you don't need to purchase a subscription to PlaceMaker to access the Nearmap data. You can use the new Pay-As-You-Go system or even place an order directly from our website (without needing to even get a Pay-As-You-Go license first). That way, users of non-SketchUp applications can also make use of the data.

• This posting should be copied on the tutorial.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't just making a complement to Herbo. I was requesting the Enscape team to actually copy the post to tips&tutorial forum. The tips tutorial forums don't have many useful postings, but I've seen really good and helpful postings on other forum sections, including this one.

• I'm trying the methodology right now! Wish me luck.

I'm in the RenderDoc step; I will attach images if I was successful in my test. :thumbsup:

I will comment on my hiccups and how to avoid them; this is an amazing method with great potential for context, aerial renders, I think any type of application for enscape or SketchUp can be improved with this method, I think you can extract other data from chrome not only google earth.

I'm happy :)

the first of many hiccups:

you will need this in order to make it:

• Windows: This add-on is not available on Linux nor MacOS for technical reasons.
    • Blender 2.82 or above (2.91 recommended): https://www.blender.org/download/
    • RenderDoc 1.10 (NOT 1.11): https://renderdoc.org/builds
    • Chrome or Microsoft Edge (:thumbdown:) - current build for chrome is required also (had a lot of problems with this, also you will need to enable hardware acceleration - I hate the amounts of insane RAM that Chrome needs to function)

when you are capturing in the modified version of Chrome, you need to move the map ( I used google earth web as suggested by Herbo) and sometimes you need to move quicker or slower ( that happens with me a bunch of times).

For installing plugins in Blender is very simple check this video timeless

When you install the plugin you need to wait to appear on the list and check the box ( you can also search for it)

so going to use transmutr now!

• I'm trying the methodology right now! Wish me luck.

I'm in the RenderDoc step; I will attach images if I was successful in my test. :thumbsup:

I will comment on my hiccups and how to avoid them; this is an amazing method with great potential for context, aerial renders, I think any type of application for enscape or SketchUp can be improved with this method, I think you can extract other data from chrome not only google earth.

I'm happy :)

Goodluck I'm stuck pretty much from in the beginning... see above. I hope you have more luck...

• And now I'm 100% stuck in Transmutr...

trying to export a 117 MB obj from blender and leaving Transmutr working for several minutes, any estimate on the amount of time for this? and the size of the corresponding skp file?

Leaving the files here if someone can help me! good CPU and GPU maybe is the trick? the jpg texture is in the same folder

nevermind! it worked!

• Thank you so much for this Herbo. I am just going through the process now. I wondered, how did you manage to cut the site area out of your model in sketchup @1.01 in your video?

I have a residential site area I would like to cut and replace certain buildings with but not sure how to do it!

• Wow amazing job! :thumbup:

I have a simple question, how do I cut the ''terrain'' at 1:01of your video when its in Sketchup? What plugin do I use to cut that part out.:)

Thank you so much for this Herbo. I am just going through the process now. I wondered, how did you manage to cut the site area out of your model in sketchup @1.01 in your video?

I have a residential site area I would like to cut and replace certain buildings with but not sure how to do it!

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like the method.

The cutting of the terrain is actually very basic. I simply make a plane in the shape of my site (in 2d), extrude it to a tall "box" form, and then group it. now, simply place it over the imported context model in the exact location, and make sure it intercepts with the geometry. Now, choose "intercept with model", and the box should draw lines in the context model in the shape of the site. This should make it easy to delete anything on the site itself, leaving a precise cut-out in the context model. now you can replace it with whatever you want.

In the case of my video, i already had a 3d model of my site, with gradings and everything.

I hope that helps!

• Do you do this within Blender itself Herbo ?