Poor performance in VR

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi all, I'm having issues with VR. It seems to not matter if I have a complex model or just a 10m2 plane with a 1x1m cube sitting on it with the render quality is set to draft, the frame rate is very low.

System specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800x

Motherboard: Asus Strix x570-E

Ram: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz

Gpu: Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Ventus x3)

Storage: Samsung 980 pro 1TB

Headset: Vive Pro and HP Reverb G2

Sketchup Pro 2021

As you can see, this should be a fairly capable system. I saw there was another thread from a while back describing similar issues but had no resolve? All drivers are up to date, as well as Windows, Steam, SteamVR, WMR portal and OpenXR.

Thanks for your time!

Pete

• Official Post

I'm sorry to hear about that pete_nz , and welcome to our Forum.

The first question would be, do you experience normal performance in other VR applications? Is only Enscape performing badly on that machine? Also, in the settings for either the Vive Pro or HP Reverb G2, does it help if you reduce the resolution a bit? This is not possible through Enscape but only the native VR settings menu. Let me know if you require any help with that.

If reducing the resolution does not help, or in any case really, please kindly send in a feedback report then:
    https://enscape3d.com/communit…sing-the-feedback-button/

For context, you can simply include the link to this thread in the submission form before sending us the report.

Thank you in advance, that will be very helpful for troubleshooting the cause behind this.

• Hi Demian, thanks for your reply. Everything else in VR works very well on both headsets with the exception of the Steam home environment with the Reverb G2 (which has known issues currently, I'm told) though SteamVR apps like games/applications work fine, you just have to launch them directly from the Steam library with that headset.

I have previously tried lowering the resolution but taking it low enough to hit 90hz simply doesn't look acceptable I'm afraid, clients/co-workers feel like their eyes aren't focusing and really dislike it. That kind of adverse reaction to the experience is subconsciously transferred to our work, which of course is not good. Really, lowering the resolution any lower than the recommended resolution for the headset's distortion correction begins to defeat the purpose. I'll send a feedback report from within Enscape as you suggest.

As a side note - I've seen some users request baked GI for VR (with perhaps the option for just raytraced reflections?) - yes please! Can you add an upvote for me and five non-forum users who I've spoken with re that feature.

Another great feature would be turning off reflections entirely from glass when in draft mode. It's distracting seeing the HDRI intensely reflected in interior glass panels and with VR if we're being realistic, for the next few years we're all probably going to have to be using Draft quality for presentations (until DLSS for VR, foveated rendering etc.. ..RTX 7000 series GPUs ;)) .

If DLSS is a roadmap feature please upvote that for me too!

Thanks for your time.

• If anyone is interested this is what technical support said:

“Hello Pete,

Thank you for your patience.

Our developers have taken a look at your data.

They couldn't find any direct indication why it is performing so poorly.

They have been able to reproduce some performance problems with the Vive recently.

This might hint towards a problem with a recent NVidia driver or SteamVR version.

Another possibility is that we are running into a problem with the RTX 3080.

They are investigating this issue further and are expecting this to be a bug somewhere.

We will keep you up to date on any findings or possible work arounds.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

If you have any questions regarding this case, don't hesitate to contact me”.

So no resolve currently. Pretty disappointed with my purchase of a high end pc and and VR headset, since it was purchased solely for Enscape VR.

• Official Post

pete_nz , I can definitely understand your disappointment, but once our developers were able to find out the cause behind this they can either resolve it as quickly as possible or provide you with a solution directly. In that case, thanks a lot for your patience as well.

Also, I didn't mention it in my last reply, but all your feedback had been forwarded of course as well. I spoke to our developers briefly about the implementation of DLSS as well, and they stated that it's highly possible we'll offer it eventually, but waiting on the technology to become even more advanced and especially more easily compatible than the current DLSS 2.0.

• Hello pete_nz

you said you reduced the resolution, so I assume you are aware of the SteamVR video settings as described in https://enscape3d.com/communit…-virtual-reality-headset/ ?

The reason why I am asking is because the better the card the higher SteamVR thinks they should push the oversampling. On the RTX A6000 it wants to do 3x oversampling and although that card is a beast, even that will bring it down to it's knees. It is generally advisable to use Enscape in the device's native resolution. In the case of the Vive Pro that is 1440x1600.

I agree that 90fps is desirable, but in practice that will never be reached. As long as the frame rate is above 45fps is tends little to no effect to the fidelity. This comes from the fact that the driver interpolates each second frame. Only once you go below 45fps it starts to really feel bad.

You are running the Vive Pro wired, right? This is a known issue with some, but not all, that have tried using the wireless link. Somehow the wireless link breaks the frame to frame interpolation and has less tracking fidelity. We are not sure what is happening here and are in contact with HTC about the issue.

The unfortunate reality is that in many cases medium or draft quality is needed when the models become to complex. We are working hard to make VR experience as good as possible.

• Hi Sean,

We have access to a Vive Pro (wired) but primarily use an HP Reverb G2. I am aware of Steam’s scaling behaviour, thanks, it does confuse many people. We run the oversampling at the minimum HP recommends which is needed for the distortion correction to be applied to the image such that the image ‘looks native’ when it reaches the panel.

I agree, that kind of resolution, at a high frame rate, and path traced is sort of science fiction currently (without mature DLSS, foveated rendering, etc I guess). It is odd that on my end I can have a scene with a 10m2 ground plane with a 1x1 cube vs a detailed scene of a city block and experience similar frame times. Really looking forward to any issues being resolved. It could be great to have a hybrid lighting option for VR, where lighting is baked but say reflections are ray traced? Would mean time of day would have to be static I assume.

On another note, since 3.0, just moving the camera in the view port is jittery, like it’s skipping a frame. Are you aware of anything like that?

• Just a bump for this - our VR machine is quite capable (RTX2080Ti, updated drivers, 8 core CPU, 64gb RAM).

Running SKP2021 and Enscape 3.0.1, with an HP Reverb G2.

I have noticed that the headset runs the scene on medium quality, at 90hz, all settings default absolutely beautifully, but as soon as the controllers become active in the scene, the frame rate drops massively, making the experience unusable. I have dropped the resolution to 35%, and it becomes slightly usable, but renders the G2 slightly irrelevant.

Any ideas appreciated, currently we are not able to use VR in a meaningful manner.

• Official Post

It would definitely also be great to have a look at your feedback reports if you still experience such performance problems:

https://enscape3d.com/communit…sing-the-feedback-button/

• Yeah, the controllers are super choppy. My controllers are present (along with the performance issues) from the start, so I haven't experienced the scene going from performant - to poor performance like you have you. Demian Gutberlet, I can open a project and send new report if that helps. We don't use Enscape much at the moment, we are using UE4 (and testing the preview of UE5) for VR and general vis, since for our purposes the workflow effort is comparable and the baked lighting workflow + DLSS 2.1 means high res VR is more a feasible.

• Official Post

pete_nz , a dedicated Feedback report from your machine would indeed be great - thanks a lot. I'll also take this as a chance to forward your Feedback from the post itself, I am sure a dedicated baked lighting solution would also be something you'd like to see in Enscape?

• Yeah, the controllers are super choppy. My controllers are present (along with the performance issues) from the start, so I haven't experienced the scene going from performant - to poor performance like you have you. Demian Gutberlet, I can open a project and send new report if that helps. We don't use Enscape much at the moment, we are using UE4 (and testing the preview of UE5) for VR and general vis, since for our purposes the workflow effort is comparable and the baked lighting workflow + DLSS 2.1 means high res VR is more a feasible.

Interesting. Our performance issues are sorted - it's actually the headset being useless now. We have actually gone the other way - Unreal is great but gee it's some serious work with constant design changes