Portable VR Build

• Following along with several of the VR discussions, it seems safe to say that we’re not quite to the point that wireless VR is a stable, quality option for viewing full building and site models in real-time - at least compared to a wired PC connection. So my goal is to come up with a solid, reliable build for a portable wired connection. I’ve read of builds which simply use a small portable pc with a handle using the 15’ tethered cable, but I think I prefer the idea of a backpack laptop and portable power source.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these builds and/or can anyone recommend a spec that works? Thanks!

• Following along with several of the VR discussions, it seems safe to say that we’re not quite to the point that wireless VR is a stable, quality option for viewing full building and site models in real-time - at least compared to a wired PC connection. So my goal is to come up with a solid, reliable build for a portable wired connection. I’ve read of builds which simply use a small portable pc with a handle using the 15’ tethered cable, but I think I prefer the idea of a backpack laptop and portable power source.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these builds and/or can anyone recommend a spec that works? Thanks!

Just to make you aware of the GPU requirements as well, check out our system requirements here for VR.

Generally, a graphics card starting RTX 2070 and upwards is recommended - of course, a decent portable machine with an RTX 3080 for example would be future proof, but the 2070 and everything from there is a really good base.

We haven't had many experiences with backpack laptops and VR, but anything which meets our system requirements or performs better should be up to the task.

• We've used the Gen 1 HP backpack. The main selling point is the ability to walk around cord-free in a much larger area. (you are "tethered," but the PC is not....) A big downside is no external screen, so you can't see what the person in VR is looking at unless you also hook up a wireless HDMI transmitter. The setup gets a bit convoluted to say the least.

If the larger play area isn't a big deal, you are probably better off going with the biggest beefiest laptop you can find. Or, for desktops, Sliger makes some very compact cases w/handle options, but it is still nowhere near as convenient as a laptop (still need a screen + keyboard.) Depends how much you value portability vs performance.

Note that running any laptop on battery is going to cripple performance in VR significantly - they need to be plugged in or the GPU will throttle. On the backpacks, HP (and I assume other manufacturers) have done a lot of optimization with their battery packs to get it to function well. But in the end it is still essentially a laptop GPU (ie, performance is noticeably less than a comparable desktop card.)