Custom Assets Library

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Is there a way to generate a custom Enscape asset, and add it to the custom asset library, from an in-scene asset? I'm struggling with how this is accomplished at the moment because I have all these already set up assets in a scene id like to add to my custom library but I cant seem to manage that.

Any thoughts?

• If you have the ability to "export selected" to one of the custom asset formats then it should work...however you will want to move the asset to the origin point before exporting, because the custom assets will place from the scene origin point.

• If you have the ability to "export selected" to one of the custom asset formats then it should work...however you will want to move the asset to the origin point before exporting, because the custom assets will place from the scene origin point.

When you say "export selected" you're saying to export the sketchup object as an obj fbx etc. right? Then I would potentially need to reconnect all UV'd textures and reapply all my settings and everything else to the model and that's wayyyy too many steps to add something already set up in a scene. Unless I'm missing what you're saying

• I've only just begun to use what is officially documented, in your case it does sound like there could be some work reconnecting maps.

I know that the custom asset editor allows Enscape material definitions to be saved and loaded (right click on the names), but I am not sure if there is a way to export those definitions from a model for use in the custom asset editor. That is where you would cut out most of the extra steps if it is possible.

That time spent getting an asset to look great once in order to use it independently going forward doesn't seem like a waste of time if it is a piece that will be used often from scene to scene. I believe that is the entire purpose of the custom asset editor.

• Is there a way to generate a custom Enscape asset, and add it to the custom asset library, from an in-scene asset? I'm struggling with how this is accomplished at the moment because I have all these already set up assets in a scene id like to add to my custom library but I cant seem to manage that.

Have a look at Transmutr (PAID) + FlexTools Component Finder (FREE)

Transmutr

ComponentFinder – FlexTools

Cheers!

• We use transmutr all the time, a great little plugin, but its not a solution to the problem, which is you cant save a SketchUp file to the Enscape assets. The problem isn't getting content to SketchUp, its getting the content I already have set up as SketchUp models to the custom asset library for my entire team to access on the network. I would have to re-do all my existing texture and material work if I were to export the SketchUp model asset as OBJ/FBX (which renders poor results anyway) to then re-import to the Enscape assets library and re-do all my textures and materials.

On one model it's not that big a deal, when it's libraries of stuff, well that's a different story.

• Guys Enscape works only with .gITF formats which is a format specifically for compresion minimizing the actual file size and also making it easier for the app to run it in realtime, thats why you are basically able to have such a big library of assets with textures and a good amount of polygons and at the same time runs smoothly while wizing around the models in real time,

The problem with .Skp format will be that you will fulfill your SSD in no time since there is no compression of any kind for textures, 3D models, etc.

I understand your worries, and I will like to give you a good tip for optimizing your workflow, meanwhile the Enscape team introduces other formats perhaps?

(I create my own assets into my custom library using Blender) but when the project deadline is close, and there is no time to create a proper "Enscape Asset" what I usually do is:

1. Create a "Save as external model for Enscape" option from a component.

2. You will be prompted with a VectorOnly/Empty_box which enmarks the location of the asset in X/Y/Z

3. you can include inside that component/Empty_box a low polygon model to help you remember the shape of your asset (what I like to do, is adding a really LowRes .PNG format image inside that box boundary with the "FaceMe" activated so that is clear what asset I'm moving/scaling/messing around inside my project.

Hide the lines in the group so you only can see the plant/asset and the circle at the bottom will give you and idea of the base size.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4. Save all your created assets in a master sketchup file that is linked in the cloud with the original Sketchup models, so for instance I have mine and I only need to open that master file which doesnt take a sec to open since there is only empty boxes with low res .PNG's and you can basically select/copy the asset you need and pasted on your actual project, when you render it will show the actual model without any problems. (Of course that master file should be read only, so nobody can damage the linked enscape assets by mistake.).

As stands that Skp Plant/Flower alone is 65MB (taking in consideration that as been already downsized in polygon count from a 125MB original file including optimization for the textures) it will be a madness if you are able to just include that .Skp file into your asset library, it will eatup a lot of space on your SSD.

That exact same Plant converted into .gITF is only of 6MB (Including textures) on my custom Enscape library. that's why is so important the format compression.
    Bet you can't tell the difference:

Once again is not ideal but will do the job, always is better to create your own custom assets directly into Enscape library with .gITF format for quality compression and ease of mind.

Don't work hard, work smart!

Hope this helps

Best,
    Julio