Revert automatic saving of visual settings

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
    • Official Post

btw guys can u tell me how to transfer settings from project 1 to project 2 ?

As Jeppo03 above mentioned, you can simply export any of your settings by saving them as .json files, and then in any other projects just re-import those settings accordingly:

• I'm experiencing the same feeling about the confusing presets save.

Usualy I was testing presets and saved it when i was satisfied of the result, now, every move is overwriting the one that I found matching the view.

To be fair, this new method was already in the beta.

It's not only a new way of proceeding, now that you don't save presets but you rather create new presets from scratch, it's the fact that you don't can make tries without putting it into created presets. I'm not comfortable with that neither

Another thing is that created presets list is not always shown and by changing some values you don't realize you're overwriting one of the config you didn't had to... I feel there is something to improve there

• Official Post

Thank you for the feedback! Plenty of users here in the Forum and outside of the Forum have been asking to revert this functionality - I've gladly forwarded your feedback too. We're still in discussion regarding what we're gonna decide, but I'll share any news here once I have some.

• Add our studio to the list of massive thumbs down on the current preset implementation.

Our biggest gripes

• you have to make the preset first and then adjust, rather than adjust a scene (find one you like) and saving a preset.
    • You cant take a good present and refine, you have to recreate from scratch every time!!!!!
    • Autosave - urrk.... Waay too easy to lose any presets... A update preset option would be much better...
  • Thank you for the feedback! Plenty of users here in the Forum and outside of the Forum have been asking to revert this functionality - I've gladly forwarded your feedback too. We're still in discussion regarding what we're gonna decide, but I'll share any news here once I have some.

"We're still in discussion"?

Demian Gutberlet, does that mean you still believe there's some reasoning behind the way the current preset is set up? I can't think of any good reason personally, and I was worried that I was in the minority, and Enscape changed this due to user feedback. However, it looks like there are other people who are upset with this change. Are the voices in the forum just "vocal" minority?

• Official Post

"We're still in discussion"?

Demian Gutberlet, does that mean you still believe there's some reasoning behind the way the current preset is set up? I can't think of any good reason personally, and I was worried that I was in the minority, and Enscape changed this due to user feedback. However, it looks like there are other people who are upset with this change. Are the voices in the forum just "vocal" minority?

Very good questions. In this case, I'm strongly voicing my opinion alongside all the voices gathered in the Forum to revert this change or at least provide a workaround. Ultimately there was still a reason behind this change, but it is rather likely to be reverted. I really wish I could make a promise here already and it shouldn't take much longer until I can, but for now, I have to ask you guys to stay tuned for a bit longer. The Forum is also one of the most valuable places when it comes to gathering feedback and understanding what our users really want - your voices do matter and you can be assured that I'll always try my best when it comes to representing the community as a whole.

• I updated to 3.0 in the middle of a months-long project, and seem to have lost all of the presets I had loaded into my model. Very frustrating to try to re-create atmospheres, times of day, fog settings, etc. in an attempt to make my previous renders consistent. I use layering in Photoshop for post-production, and these changes to my output files has cost me hours of work. Is there any way at all to access the .jsn settings files that were saved in previous versions of Enscape?

• I think what Enscape can learn here - is that large scale architectural projects can last for years and years, and common sceanrio is that we have to go back and re-render a specific view that has been set up and saved at that time.

While Enscape can progress into several major versions is there a fallback mechanism to ensure "backward compatibility"?

Could be 1 good feature..just thinking.

• Official Post

I updated to 3.0 in the middle of a months-long project, and seem to have lost all of the presets I had loaded into my model. Very frustrating to try to re-create atmospheres, times of day, fog settings, etc. in an attempt to make my previous renders consistent. I use layering in Photoshop for post-production, and these changes to my output files has cost me hours of work. Is there any way at all to access the .jsn settings files that were saved in previous versions of Enscape?

I am sorry to hear about that, this is not something which should occur. Since the settings have been saved into your model, they should also still be available after updating to Enscape 3.0. If you have the chance, you could briefly revert back to Enscape 2.9 and then save the individual settings as .json files accordingly. Then after getting back into 3.0 again, you can simply import them.

Hopefully, this helps - the next time you'll update Enscape to 3.1 and onward this problem shouldn't happen again.

• Official Post

I think what Enscape can learn here - is that large scale architectural projects can last for years and years, and common sceanrio is that we have to go back and re-render a specific view that has been set up and saved at that time.

While Enscape can progress into several major versions is there a fallback mechanism to ensure "backward compatibility"?

Could be 1 good feature..just thinking.

We'll make sure that settings stay transferable now from one version to the next easily, and this has additionally been the case for a while now. Still, I have gladly forwarded your feedback once more again too to make sure it reaches out to developers.

• I'm finding the way the presets are saved and created in 3.0 less functional than before. I really don't appreciate the current preset being overwritten while you adjust it. It's like writing a word document, and the changes automatically get saved into the file, then you have no way to go back and see the previous version. I want to have the changes committed only when I intentionally save it. I would also like the save to behave as before, where a new preset is made from the temporary settings. I do NOT want the default settings each time I make a new preset.

Agree with both of these 100%.

• Official Post

Is there any news regarding the topic? It remains a daily frustration.

I'm afraid not - For now, there aren't any plans to adjust this system. Your inquiry has been forwarded to our Ui / Ux team again though, they'll look into it again but I cannot make any promises whether or not there'll be an option implemented in the near future.

• hmm, that's unfortunate. I think the arguments in favor of reconsidering the current behavior have been made over and over again in very clear ways. The initial response was "we want to wait and gather more feedback", so we've been waiting patiently. (Although it's regrettable that this was included in 3.0 without ever being included in a preview so people could have flagged this before it became part of the release).

Since then, not a single week has gone by without one of my users complaining about this frustrating behavior. It would be helpful to know whether you are planning on finetuning this but it hasn't made it on the schedule yet, or whether the Enscape team considers this behavior to be best solution. If it's the latter, perhaps more users can weigh in and make a case why it should be changed.