Most optimal GPU choice

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hey, could developers comment or give insight on what would be the most suitable GPU for Enscape to maximize it's capabilities?

Currently I'm running on 2070S, and it's starting to be too powerless for my continously increasingly heavy scenes. The setup otherwise is I9900K, 32gb of 2666Mhz RAM and SSD. I'm wondering, if I should go for RT6800 or 3080. Which series could offer more, Enscape-wise? RT has double the memory. I wonder if that is a deal breaker..?

Currently, when I work with Enscape, GPU usage is often constantly near 100%, and memory used is 6.5-8.0 out of 8.0. It starts to be buggy, overheat, etc.

I'm not in need of "clean your PC" or "is your air flow good" or "try this different workflow", instead I am simply curious on what GPU would be the most optimal for Enscape.

Thanks!

• Hi,

The GPU market is totally crazy these days, at least in France/Europe. The exorbitant prices make these new GPUs (RTX3000 and RX6000) very bad quality / price ratios. You can't wait ?

If you can, by a HUGE chance, get a 3080FE then go for it !

• Hi,

The GPU market is totally crazy these days, at least in France/Europe. The exorbitant prices make these new GPUs (RTX3000 and RX6000) very bad quality / price ratios. You can't wait ?

If you can, by a HUGE chance, get a 3080FE then go for it !

It's pretty "no-brainer" that switching from 2070S to, let's say, 3090, or even 3080, would propably be at least a 2x improvement. I was just maybe curious whether there's some variables when it comes to RT6900 vs 3080 or something.

But yes, I'm Finnish, and the prices are just ridicilous here currently too. I'm planning to sit back and wait for something crazy happen in the BitCoin world or something, so that the mining business would shift, and we'd maybe have a lot of 2nd hand cards on the market and prices of the new cards would drop to a normal level - at the moment, they seem to be 2x more than they should be..

• Iwe'd maybe have a lot of 2nd hand cards on the market and prices of the new cards would drop to a normal level - at the moment, they seem to be 2x more than they should be..

Sadly it's not going in the right direction, whether it is Nvidia or AMD...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Personally, I am lucky to have a RTX3090 (MSI SUPRIM) and a Ryzen 5950X. Everybody talk about gamers but us, professionals or 3D lovers, it's not an easy time either...

• Official Post

Sheik , at the moment, as stated here the market really is in a tricky situation when it comes to simply purchasing current GPUs. I'd say with your 2070S you're pretty well off still. And I'd say it's only really worth it if you'd go for something like the RTX 3070, but not at the current scalper prices. That is of course just my opinion - you could also go for the RTX 3060, again, without paying scalper prices but the performance jump won't be as large - still, an overall improvement would be noticed of course.

• Thanks for replies. I am looking for a big improvement, so 3060 or 3070 isn't really an option - perhaps a 3080. But the price issue is real. I'd put the 2070S into another workstation, and my partner could work with it, so we'd have two decent workstations.

I just today started to consider RX6900, it is not far from 3090 and considerably cheaper. Any thoughts on that? It should support all the same stuff..? I won't face any "oh damn, RTX no longer works"- type of problems..?

And ps. I'll have to look how how it runs, don't remember.

• ok, so i was under the impression that a workstation graphics card would be the better way to go, i have a Quadro RTX 4000....

is this not true? if not i WAAAY over payed for a suitable card... does it matter?

As far as I know, workstation cards can have some features "customer" cards lack, and they might have some sertificates and other stuff, but from my perspective (I live on doing 3D), that's all just nonsense, and I would be as bold to say that yes, you did overpay a lot. But there's propably someone who disagrees - and honestly, I am very keen to hear opinions too.

Currently I'm struggling whether to do a larger investment and go for 3090, or do a smaller incremental leap to 6800, which also almost doubles the power, compared to my 2070S, and has a lot of memory.

• as I understand it apps like maya have drivers that will specifically benefit from the quadro cards but without the drivers the q cards are essentially no more than GeForce cards with more rigorously tested components.

Here’s a 2018 thread asking about revit quadro vs GeForce https://forums.autodesk.com/t5…ce-vs-quadro/td-p/8090212

Here’s another from 2019 but about 3DS https://forums.autodesk.com/t5…-s-the-truth/td-p/8681995

• Sheik
    I’m driving a 2070 (non super) and normally render at 4K x 3k, occasionally I need to do one suitable for billboards and that requires an 8k x 6k render, my card will balk at this as it burns through its 8Gb. A 3090 is the obvious answer but cost and complete lack of availability is the problem.

Have a look at this app https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/

I’ve successfully enlarged 4K images to 8k (and more) with quite amazing results. You can get a fully working 14 day demo and it‘s a hell of a lot cheaper than a 3090.

• ok i can give my experience here

i had 1080ti and was good , with heavy scenes 500x500m , scaterred 3d meadow grass type started to be quite laggy

now i have rx 6800 non xt and its more better then before but also its laggy with huge scenes /you know when you can go further why not to do so= conclusion it will be always laggy/

my temps of gpu core is around 90C i have founders edition with 3 fans .

• paul, surely you dont render 4k with enscape... anything over HD settings and enscape crashes for me... tho in podium i could max out with no problem, just took 30 min. plus.

as far as upscaling apps i have heard the new Adobe P.shop can also do this very well... have yet to try it.

my home pc is in need of a vid card update and i may try a geforce rtx and do some comparisons my self... ill let you know.

• My machine spec: Intel i9 9900k, 32Gb, RTX2070

I’ll batch render 30 4Kx3K images without any problem, each one will take about 3mins.

Yesterday, I setup and rendered 26 HD videos with each one being 8-12 secs at 30fps and today I rendered 13 8Kx4K twice! (client change) along with setting up and publishing a pano tour.

I effi’n love Enscape, I just wish I was better at lighting.

• Interesting, I have exactly the same specs, only I have 2070S. My RAM is 2666.

Perhaps the difference is in our scenes. My scenes have been heavy and are only getting heavier and heavier.

If I render a heavy scene at 4K with this setup, it will often crash. But oddly, it's completely OK to render panoramas - of course, this must be because panorama is rendered of multiple pretty small images, so it propably is kinda same as batch rendering.

Batch rendering has been a great thing, I love it. Enscape is an amazing software as it is.

My GPU runs at 70-80 C , and when VRAM usage goes over 7gb (out of 8gb), things get very unstable. And that's happening more and more often all the time, so I'm honestly starting to consider updating. Resolution of the images isn't a big problem for me, I rarely do larger renders. But that AI scaling does seem like a nice thing to know, if I ever have to make a bigger rendering and my hardware is unable to do it.