Please bring back saved Camera Positions, and disable automatic geometry reloading per view

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • A feature return request:

In previous versions of enscape once a view/model was open in enscape clicking on a favorited view would move the camera to a saved position WITHOUT reloading the model/revit settings for that view. The time of day settings would update in enscape, but the model WOULD NOT RELOAD. That feature is critical to my work flow, as I use it in client presentation to QUICKLY move between views.

In 3.0 the views feature is reloading the revit model/settings everytime. I am returning to 2.9 for this reason. Even on views with little difference in Revit this makes changing positions slow, and for views where a consultant model is still turned on it can be several minutes to change views, and the enscape model is updated in a way that I do not want. It makes the saved view feature almost unusable. For my work flow I want to have choice about moving to a saved camera position in enscape vs. loading all of the model settings for a view. Removing that distinction is creating a huge burden.

Please bring back the option to move to saved camera positions SEPARATELY from the option to reload the model/revit settings for a saved view!

• Very much agreed. Having the camera move between favorite views is very essential for good design communication / presentation. Also being able to navigate favorites of use with page up / page down.

Personally prefer the workflow where the scene reloads in order to take advantage of different view settings of changes in visibility, phase, section box, etc.

However, forcing a reload during live presentations on large projects or where hardware is constrained makes favorited views in 3.0 usable. There should be an option.

• If that is a simple option like Phil said, then that is a great solution - similar to the pause live updates button.

For large projects this new 3.0 workflow requires either:

- good walkthrough control ability which defeats the purpose of having view locations (a lot of users find the keyboard controls difficult, esp. in front of a client)

- exporting to a standalone for every presentation, which defeats the purpose of realtime rendering

- patience of a sloth as you wait for it to reload for 5 minutes or so between each view (unrealistic)

• Official Post

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I am already forwarding plenty of votes to implement the ability to pause these geometry updates and this is definitely something we are looking into providing in the near future. I fully agree that especially in larger scenes reloading the geometry per view switch takes too long overall, which can be a problem, especially during presentations. Again, thank you, everyone!

• So, I agree, but when I'm actually working on a model I do prefer reloading - since I mostly set up different views for export (not presentation reasons). Often before, I'd need to manually reload the model when switching views to get the proper design options/lighting to show up, which I now don't need to do since it auto-reloads at every view change. While this is great for my workflow, I can see how it would be awful if I was doing a live presentation. So, hopefully you guys can just make this some kind of checkbox so both camps can be happy!

• Demian Gutberlet

Changed the title of the thread from “Enscape3.0 Please bring back saved Camera Positions! (not only model reloads)” to “Please bring back saved Camera Positions, and disable automatic geometry reloading per view”.
  • Circling back after seeing the 3.1 release email last week. I tried checking the forum to see if this feature has been added yet but maybe I missed it? We really are eager to jump forward but have been currently holding at 2.9 for this feature due to the workflow of some of our larger projects. Did this option get worked in yet? Thanks!

• I work with allot of spaces in Revit with "exposed" ceilings. Which means we render a fair amount of ductwork and pipes from our linked in MEP models. Some of these we want to see and others we do not. Simply turning off a "pipe" category in the linked in model, will not work for us. Prior to 3.0 we would set up a "Starting View" and then go through the MEP model and hide elements that we did not want to see in the walkthroughs. Due to Autodesk's limitations you cannot add elements from a linked in model to a selection filter, so you do have to hide elements from a linked in model individually within a visible category. Then these items would remain hidden when you went to any other saved camera position. Now, since Enscape updates the geometry every time you switch to a saved view I'm stuck having to hide the same geometry over and over again for each of the saved views. Having a check box to not have Enscape update the geometry would be preferable. I would also, if possible, love the ability to select and hide elements live in the live rendered Enscape walkthrough and have that get saved back to the view in Revit.

• Another vote here for returning saved camera positions with a switch option to not reload everything if switching between them. With the size of our models and sites I already have given up on realtime anything. We need to control when the model updates to Enscape whenever possible to avoid unnecessary delays. I already slap myself when forgetting to use the pause feature.

• Official Post

Another vote here for returning saved camera positions with a switch option to not reload everything if switching between them. With the size of our models and sites I already have given up on realtime anything. We need to control when the model updates to Enscape whenever possible to avoid unnecessary delays. I already slap myself when forgetting to use the pause feature.

Thanks a lot for the additional Feedback, and of course thank you to everyone else who shared their thoughts already.

We plan to implement a feature to allow geometry reloading per view to be disabled if required. This feature will either come with Enscape 3.2 or a preview beforehand. :)

• We plan to implement a feature to allow geometry reloading per view to be disabled if required.

With "per view" do you mean we can decide which views will require a reload, and which one will not, or will it be a "it's either on or off for all views"?

• Official Post

With "per view" do you mean we can decide which views will require a reload, and which one will not, or will it be a "it's either on or off for all views"?

At least for now it is planned to have an overall switch to turn off the automatic geometry reload - I reckon you would like to individually define this per view?

• Yes to me that would make the most sense. Some views have something specific in them (different design option) that requires a reload of geometry, while most are just saved to remember camera position and we want to get the geometry of the active enscape view for those.

• Agreed - being able to pick and choose which views update geometry, and which ones just change the viewpoint, is really important. The old camera icons did the trick well I thought. In most cases when I create a new view in Revit, all I want is a new angle of an existing scene that's visibility is already setup in Revit.

• Official Post

Thank you TowerPower for your Feedback - I have gladly forwarded it as well to our product managers accordingly.

• Thanks a lot for the additional Feedback, and of course thank you to everyone else who shared their thoughts already.

We plan to implement a feature to allow geometry reloading per view to be disabled if required. This feature will either come with Enscape 3.2 or a preview beforehand. :)

Hi Demian,

Do you have a date for the release of Enscape 3.2? I see that the current version is 3.1.2+55592 released September 15. I've just found this thread and I'm extremely interested in having the feature back for the option of navigating between points of view without having to reload. Like many here, I set up a starting view where I set up what I want to see in every view without having to restart the process every time I create a new point of view.

Thank you!