FASTER browsing asset libray thumbnails please

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Can we please get faster loading thumbnails in the asset browser? I would like like to keep the Asset Library offline and not on my local disk, for a variety of reasons.

I would be fine with downloading the thumbnail images for quicker browsing if that's a solution. That file size should be much smaller than the entire asset library.

For reference, I frequently browse Podium Browser and it is perfectly snappy has has much more content. Enscape's library is really difficult to browse if you're not quite sure what you are looking for. -Sidebar- Podium Browser also lets me just download the entire model, including geometry... ;)

• Official Post

Thanks a lot for the great request Tim , I have forwarded this for discussion once again as this has been requested a couple of times before - there may be some technical reasons as to why we do not allow caching yet, but I'll generally get back to you again in case I have any further news to share.

• I'd like to bump this please - its almost unusable guys. This needs to be addressed as i would say that in a full 1 day of work, i think i spend around 45 minutes waiting on thumbnails! Isnt there a way or option to perhaps put this on the local drive so that it could be much more efficient?

• I'd like to bump this please - its almost unusable guys. This needs to be addressed as i would say that in a full 1 day of work, i think i spend around 45 minutes waiting on thumbnails! Isnt there a way or option to perhaps put this on the local drive so that it could be much more efficient?

You can download ALL of the assets to the local disk, but it's a lot of files and sort of a waste of space to do it this way. It's much faster to browse that way but honestly I don't know why we can't just have fast, small (honestly, kb sized) thumbnails. I don't need all of the assets.

• Just gonna leave this here, so anyone can see the slowness visually. He incorrectly states it's "not an Enscape thing". I'm on gig 1/1 connection and it's just as slow.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just gonna leave this here, so anyone can see the slowness visually. He incorrectly states it's "not an Enscape thing". I'm on gig 1/1 connection and it's just as slow.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

yep thats pretty slow and painful

• +1 to address this somehow. I can't imagine the time lost to some of our users scrolling through assets.

I would like to direct people to download for offline use, but as it sits now this seems incredibly dangerous - if someone were to point the download to a network project folder, they could delete everything in it, and all subfolders along with it. It seems like there could be much better ways to manage this,

Not sure where you guys are hosting, but I've tried the 4GB download on a couple different connections, and it takes like 30-45 minutes, which seems a bit excessive. (As compared to, say, the VRay 8GB material library which downloads in a few minutes.) I assume this ties into the slow previews as well.

• Not sure where you guys are hosting

This is getting a bit (actually a lot... lol) off-topic BUT :)

I have been meaning to mention the website speed... thought it might just be me. In case there may be a relation I will mention it here. Images in the forum take FOREVER to load for me. I am on a VERY fast connection, but in the US so that may not help in this case?

• This is getting a bit (actually a lot... lol) off-topic BUT :)

Not sure it's off-topic, really... I wouldn't doubt that it is all related. I hadn't considered the forum images, but yes, they take long enough that I usually don't click past the preview. Granted I am US-biased also; I'd be curious if results are different elsewhere. I'd think mirroring content in different regions would not be difficult to set up... (granted I can't speculate as to cost.)

• I would like to direct people to download for offline use, but as it sits now this seems incredibly dangerous - if someone were to point the download to a network project folder, they could delete everything in it, and all subfolders along with it. It seems like there could be much better ways to manage this,

This CANNOT be overlooked. The pop-up dialog that Enscape shown when you select a directory gave me pause, and I was sure to create a specific folder just for this download. But still, I was pretty confused as to why this type of behavior is necessary in the first place. I would assume if a user accidentally clicked and began the download or forgot to create a unique folder for these for whatever reason...it would be disastrous. Misclicks happen. I would hope most users are tech proficient, given the nature of the work but there's always mistakes.

My assumption is that it is complicated by Enscape encrypting all of the asset files. I mean, there are 24,546 files and 5,000 folders inside the folder I created for this...and there are certainly not that many assets.

As for download speeds- even on my 1/1 connection it took a "long time" (35-45 mins?) to download. A Tracert command via Windows CMD for enscape3d.com took me all around the world and was pretty slow. Then finally landed at Amazon AWS, which is also where the Certificate is signed. So I assume it's a hosted there.

• Official Post

Thank you all for the feedback - to anyone experiencing slow-download problems when it comes to the Asset Library or Forum Renderings, can you kindly let me know where you are located? The country itself would be enough, but the closer you could define it the better. Thanks!

Also Tim , I understand your concern although we actually provide a warning when it comes to this - hopefully, this warning will not be overlooked often, otherwise, we may have to make it a bit more obvious still.

• Thank you all for the feedback - to anyone experiencing slow-download problems when it comes to the Asset Library or Forum Renderings, can you kindly let me know where you are located? The country itself would be enough, but the closer you could define it the better. Thanks!

Also Tim , I understand your concern although we actually provide a warning when it comes to this - hopefully, this warning will not be overlooked often, otherwise, we may have to make it a bit more obvious still.

Regarding the warming prompt- why would a company put a person's computer data at risk like that? I appreciate the warning, but of all my professional programs and (even non-professional stuff) on my PC, I've never had a program act in such a way. I think the trade-off should be that offline downloads be restricted to wherever the Enscape install location is and something only Enscape has read/write to. This way, Enscape creates its own offline download folder within it's parent folder and no system files are in danger.

Seems to me that Enscape is encrypting offline asset files and protecting their assets from "piracy" the way these files are being handled. So if that is the continued approach to Enscape asset library's provided with subscription, then I think it's fair enough to double down and restrict download location. This also seems to be a limiting factor in being able to to make edits to the asset library objects, which I know is another highly up-voted feature request. Maybe the dev team can kill two birds with one stone here and rethink how this is being handled.

I know for a fact that a couple of weeks ago I let the entire library thumbnails download but yesterday and today they (or at least the ones I was looking for) had to download again.

I don’t have the offline checkbox on.

• Thank you all for the feedback - to anyone experiencing slow-download problems when it comes to the Asset Library or Forum Renderings, can you kindly let me know where you are located? The country itself would be enough, but the closer you could define it the better. Thanks!

Minneapolis, MN, US. The video in post #8 seems pretty accurate. Can you confirm that that looks slower than you would expect?

It is not a matter of a warning - you can put it in 120 point bold red and someone will still probably mange to ignore it. Agree here with Tim, I can't think of another program that behaves like this at all. Can't you just replace existing assets if the downloader finds them? Why the need to erase the whole folder?

I don't necessarily agree with writing to the program/install location, as we may want to to point to a network location for shared access. Maybe Program files or Appdata is fine as a default but we would still want to be able to configure that somehow. And we need to be sure it works with our custom assets (without someone inadvertently deleting them.)

• It is not a matter of a warning -

I am pretty sure a more forceful, possibly two-step, AND requiring us to type something like "I UNDERSTAND FOLDER CONTENTS WILL BE ERASED" would make the point clear even for those of us who tend to rush :)

As an aside, THANK YOU for bringing this up. I was not aware and do pay attention closely to this board.

• I don't necessarily agree with writing to the program/install location, as we may want to to point to a network location for shared access. Maybe Program files or Appdata is fine as a default but we would still want to be able to configure that somehow. And we need to be sure it works with our custom assets (without someone inadvertently deleting them.)

I don't think this should be how it functions either, but honestly, I'm willing to be forced to download to a specific location if it saves some poor day 1 on the job person from deleting everything on the company NAS or file server...

I also run off of a network location and would prefer downloads to go wherever deem necessary. Of course, all of this could be as simple as 1) downloading small thumbnail images "offline" instead of the entire asset model library or 2) Diverting more resources to the web server which is hosting these thumbnails.