Adding a 'blank' asset to a Revit family

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi all - hope this is something you can help me with!

I've described below what I'm trying to do:

• Our Architectural practice has a library of 'generic' Revit families with simplistic geometry.
    • For some projects, we need to prepare visualisations or 'marketing' plans - we typically do this by creating a secondary workset in Revit with Enscape assets placed. This works well, except that it involves duplicate effort, since we need to update both the positions of the generic Revit families and the Enscape assets.
    • I've experimented with nesting Enscape assets inside Revit families - the idea being to align the Enscape asset (say, a chair) to the position / orientation of the generic family, so that I already have a Enscape asset ready to show once the generic objects are placed. If the Enscape asset families (nested into the generic family) are set to 'shared', I can indeed see the Enscape version when Enscape is opened.

• The only limitation now is I cannot hide the 'generic' geometry once Enscape is opened. I'm aware that the EnscapeAssetID parameter allows for the geometry within the family to be hidden and swapped out with Enscape geometry (as below) - but I'm wondering if it's possible to hide the geometry and replace with a blank object? If this is possible, I could hide the 'generic' chair geometry in the example below, with the realistic Enscape asset which is nested in showing instead.

Any pointers much appreciated!

• Thanks Aaron. I do know about the method you suggest, and we do use this on occasion - the issue is that needs to be done in the project file, by individual project teams. There can also be alignment issues if the Enscape asset isn't oriented / positioned the same way as the relevant Revit family.

What I'm trying to do is 'pre-bake' the Enscape assets within our Revit family library, so that as soon as they are placed in any project, they are Enscape-ready. Hope that makes sense?

• You can also do it manually. Place an asset, and look at its type parameters: there are 3 parameters that Enscape uses to make the asset system work:

Just create those 3 parameters on your custom families and make sure to copy the value. (be exact in the naming). Then enscape will start replacing your custom family with the asset.

This is exactly what the "link revit family to asset" functionality does, but if you are designing your template it can help to know what is happening in the background.

• Using the Link "Revit Family to Asset" function is the best practice. Keep in mind that you're also making the association to the Family>Type. The benefit is a single family can contain multiple Enscape assets linked to the type.

• Thanks Pieter - that's getting close to what I need - I'm assuming the custom asset in question could just be a blank object. One issue - does this depend on each user of that family creating the same custom asset on their end or can it be set up globally across all users with Enscape?

Perhaps I should describe a bit more -

I'm trying to set this up so that the Architects in our office can place a generic family with the Enscape asset contained without needing to do any configuration in Enscape on their end (eg manually linking Revit Familys to Assets). I do understand that linking Revit family to assets is best practice, but really I'm trying to save time at the user-end - avoiding the need for them to do this process type-by-type. Unless I'm missing something and this can be done at the family level? (I think it's done individually for every model?)

• Both the manual method or the automatic 'link family' are saved in the family (and thus in the file). No need to repeat for every user.

If you want this in every project, the best option is to set this up in your Revit template.