How to save a new Preset in Enscape 3 - I don't understand it

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Sorry, I'm still not able to figure out how to create any preset.
    So I go ahead: After all the desired visual settings are adjusted, I press "Create Preset", assuming that all the done work now gets saved by this new preset.
    But everything jumps back to something miserable that I don't want or need instead. I know this is all probably explained 100x somewhere already. But, as said - I do not understand how it works ...

I would be grateful not to be just referred to the "Knowledgebase pages" which I never understand and mostly don´t really help me the one way or the other, but rather that someone has the patience to describe this so important procedure and new but obviously strange concept in simple terms. Thanks in advance ;)

• I'm holding off on updating to Enscape 3+ until they put back saving visual settings to some normal workflow. I was going to test the previews but it looks like they still haven't addressed it. I cannot have visual presets constantly changing on the fly. I need fixed saved presets I can go back to like it works in 2.9

• I am considering to go back to version 2.9. as well - I would have to pass on my experiences to colleagues in the company who are all still on version 2.9. and waiting with their updates for my "go". As long as I'm too stupid to understand the (!!for me!!) so strange and cumbersome logics (Presets and Scenes) of the new version 3.0, I'm looking like a fool at the moment ;)

To be clear - I never struggle to make updates but as long as I don't get a running production workflow because of ONLY ONE additional tool slows me down (whether out of my own stupidity or because the tool is not good), that drives me crazy... Yes, for now I also would like to see Enscape reconsider these points anew.

Maybe someone will come along here and describes my question from above How to save a new Preset in Enscape 3

in a way that gives me a better or new clue ;)

• It sounds like things have not changed since my initial understanding of the problem. I do expect the developers to address this issue, and I hope it's soon.

Revert automatic saving of visual settings

(And by the way, I do not think you are stupid to find the 3.0 savings method unclear, I find it hard to understand as well.)

• You're right - it is a little strange, and different to the old workflow. Once it clicks for you, hopefully it's quite nice to use.

When you create a preset from scratch, it will set everything to default. You will see the "Custom Preset" option in there however, and this is the key. This is where your changes you are making are being saved when you are starting from scratch with presets.

So, two workflows.

Either, at the very start, click "Create Preset", name it accordingly (scene/camera for example) and make your changes and it will save on the fly.

Or, just open the presets, start adjusting away (it will default to the Custom Preset at the beginning of a project) and then duplicate the "Custom Preset" and rename it (eg; to the name of the view/camera).

In either case, you can then link the preset to the scene in View management, making the loading of presets automated.

Enscape 3.0 automatically saves changes to presets as you work - this can be a little dangerous, but makes sense when you consider how a lot of architects and designers work - aka frenetically and with little care for file management.

• I agree - I found 3.0 strange to begin with but once I discovered the "duplicate preset" button it clicked for me.

• ...thanks andybot for your kind attestation to my state of mind 8o and
    thanks eliotbnz and steve2802 for your patience, help and encouraging words because going back to older better versions is not a permanent solution but an temporarily emergency solution only.

Still I am firmly convinced that the Enscape People meant well of course, but definitely made the completely wrong decision though.

Assuming I had made many vissual settings in my since 3.0.0 incorrect procedure - Is there really no chance of saving them in this case? Is there nowhere a save button? - and I'm actually now just ruining some other currently "active" preset? I don't want to believe that Enscape has done this mistake and forgotten this most obvious of all options and, by the way, the option that has been valid within Enscape since then...

steve2802 what does the "duplicate preset" button do and what advantage is associated with it?

• so if I've set up a Preset for a scene but then find it's not quite working for the next scene - rather than click create preset (which resets everything to default) I right click and select duplicate then give it a new name. That way all of the existing settings are carried over and you can make minor adjustments as necessary.

No need to save the visual settings this is automatic. Any changes you make to visual settings while a preset is open are saved automatically.

It's hard to describe the workflow but if you are still struggling I can maybe post some screenshots?

• The problem with this new workflow for Enscape 3 is that if I make an adjustment to test out some settings, I lose the original setting. This new way, you have to save a new setting first BEFORE tweaking any changes. I'd rather save a setting AFTER making tweaks once I'm happy with it. I'm still not happy with this change and I am waiting for a better workflow.

• The problem with this new workflow for Enscape 3 is that if I make an adjustment to test out some settings, I lose the original setting. This new way, you have to save a new setting first BEFORE tweaking any changes. I'd rather save a setting AFTER making tweaks once I'm happy with it. I'm still not happy with this change and I am waiting for a better workflow.

This is a very important point. The new system discourages experimentation, and I think that's very unfortunate.

This is the main reason why were are holding back with updating to 3.0

• It happened again. Changed some settings in the visual preset and &^#$@@#@ up my default setting. What other application allows you to overwrite important settings and NOT prompt the user to save the changes, create a new setting or discard changes? Why is accidentally breaking something that's important easy to do? Please fix this unprecedented and confusing workflow.

• Besides the horrible workflow, I also find that the sky shifts slightly from one worksession to another so I can never re-render the exact same image from one day to another. There really needs to be some thought by Enscape developers for how to produce consistent renders (by default - not several steps of saving and re-loading settings.)

• Besides the horrible workflow, ...worksession ...to produce consistent renders ...

I also don't understand how little Enscape appreciates that most of us work reproducibly and prozzessly rather than just sporadically randomly nicely.

I also join in the disappointment with the truly flawed preset system and the equally flawed video editor ...

• What other application allows you to overwrite important settings and NOT prompt the user to save the changes, create a new setting or discard changes? Why is accidentally breaking something that's important easy to do? Please fix this unprecedented and confusing workflow.

I also don't understand how little Enscape appreciates that most of us work reproducibly and prozzessly rather than just sporadically randomly nicely.

Demian Gutberlet

Bumping this to ask for any kind of response.....?

We have been holding at 2.9 but plan to roll with 3.4 and this preset workflow is going to cause lots of headaches.

Also, easily repeatable results across different users is critical. Due to its ease of use Enscape is probably being used beyond its intended purpose. (not unlike Sketchup...) It is basically our standard for still renderings now, and some development to make that work better would be much appreciated. Clouds and moving plants that can change from one rendering to the next are not helpful.

• I know they are not one and the same, but it's at least slightly relevant to also mention HOW the settings get saved at the moment.

The current system does not work with Revit projects that have multiple people working on them simultaneously (central files) . This might not be common in small offices but on large projects, this is the standard. My users are complaining to me about this every time we talk about Enscape. DanStine_TX can confirm this a daily struggle

Ideally when the team revisits the saving mechanism of the settings, they can also reconsider how data is stored in the Revit file (as much of the data as possible should be attached to Revit elements so that Revits takes care of the worksharing details).