Finally I got some time to use the custom asset. It is a great tool that makes the process simpler but also way too time consuming to set up each asset.
Here are my thoughts and suggestions (I'm using Rhino 7, Enscape 3.01):
- Having folders to organize by type, it is crucial once the library starts to grow. Tags also would be great.
- Make it easy to export/import assets, right now it is time consuming. I have to setup every material, one by one:
- Have an exporter in Rhino, so, I just press a button and it exports the asset, material, proxy and generate the asset in the library automatically. Also when importing, being able to select everything, asset file, proxy file, materials,... and not one by one.
- Copy Asset, so it is easier to make variations of the same asset.
- Batch import/export material, sometimes setting up some assets with lots of materials (ex. some species of vegetation) I have to export each material one by one and then reapply one by one in the other similar asset. It takes a lot of time, so, export/import all materials would be great.
- Edit asset materials without the need to open the custom asset editor. I know it's kind of a different proposal from what you have now but it would also simplify our work.
Some possible bugs and problems:
- The tint color in the asset editor preview window does not show darker colors. Everything also looks a bit washed out, maybe it is the lighting in the scene.
- When you import a new assets there is no prompt to choose units, it will get the size of the object and interpret as if it is in meters, so if you export a 100 x 100 x 100 cm box as an .fbx, it will be a 100 x 100 x 100 meter box in the asset editor.
That is it,
And congratulations for the great work .