Export png with an transparent background?

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • I know this has been mentioned before, but I find it to be a simple feature, that has a huge impact on the workflow, and I miss it a lot.

For an example

I need to export an isometry of a building, with no ground around - just flowing in space.

I export the image as png, but the background is also saved, and has a blueish tone, so I can't just link it into my indesign document.

I have to export the png, open it in photoshop, use the object or material id to mask it out - save again, then link the photoshop file into indesign.

And if I update the image, I have to do it all again. Not a huge issue if I have one image, but if there is a lot of images, its quite time consuming. To the alternative - export -> update.

Would you consider having an option, to let us export with out the background?

If there is an easier way to achieve the same result please let me know :)

• How To Export Layer as Transparent PNG:

Select any Layer in Photoshop.

Right-Click (ctrl + click)

Select 'Export As'

Select PNG.

Check the box for 'Transparent'

Click Export All.

Enter Name & Select Destination.

Click 'Save'

• In the Capture settings enable the 'Export Object-ID, Mat...' checkbox and Change the Depth Range to its max.

Now when you export an image you'll get 3 additional images with your render, you're only interested in the Depth one as it can now be used as an Alpha channel in the likes of Photoshop/Affinity Photo.

• Hi Poul

I know how to do it in photoshop :) I just don't wan't go though PS to achieve it.

There is really no reason to complicate the workflow, just export an png file with transparent background - bam. Just like Vray does it. Insert the png directly into indesign.

It's not a big issue, it is just irritating me.

• Official Post

Jorgensen , that's a feature that has been requested for a while now and I will happily forward your feedback to our product management team for further review - I can totally understand the need for simplicity in this case and the easy option to avoid further steps having to be taken. As of yet though, no specific release date yet I'm afraid.

• It's not just about extra steps, this method does not seem to yield results that are as clean as you would get from a true alpha channel. Since the base image is still rendered with whatever the background is showing (white, black, skydome, whatever) there is always some amount of fringing/aliasing. I've found I need to play with the selection (expand, feather, etc) to get cleaner results, and this leads to loss of detail in intricate items.

• Official Post

It's not just about extra steps, this method does not seem to yield results that are as clean as you would get from a true alpha channel. Since the base image is still rendered with whatever the background is showing (white, black, skydome, whatever) there is always some amount of fringing/aliasing. I've found I need to play with the selection (expand, feather, etc) to get cleaner results, and this leads to loss of detail in intricate items.

Thank you - that's a great addition. I will add that as well to the request!

• whilst I'd love the option also, (plus, let's not's be shortsighed; alpha shadow-fall on said "non surface", non-reflectance of sky, matte-lighting throughout the day, etc... all as options, etc) but the whole "it takes me forever" schtick is a tad overdone, no?

1. Pchop has recorded batch operations, simple.

2. GIMP has colour-to-alpha OOTB, how much FASTer must everything be?

I mean, sure, if the request(s) were loaded: I need (want) to alpha every frame from my 3hr 60fps UHD export I just had my 3090 burn an ice cap for... well yes, I can see the "need".

to rifkin's point? a solid plus one from me = anti-aliasing on Ultra at UHD is still really noisy - so whilst I don't ever pixel-pinch, I appreciate many do - and this does need attention.