Video Animation without Camera Movement - How?

REMINDER! If you encounter any issues with Enscape (e.g. crashes, installation problems) or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Support button as detailed HERE! Thank you for your understanding.
  • Hi All

Does anyone here knows how to add a video passage where the camera "stands still" only? I would like to start a video animation where the camera rests in the initially first keyframe position for about 5 seconds before any further camera movement starts. In my naive imagination ;) I somehow have to copy the first keyframe and assign 5sec on the timeline to it. But I can't figure out how to get this second "5-second keyframe", which is actually identical to the start keyframe. So any help is gratefully appreciated :)

• Official Post

Thanks MatthiasL , yes, I considered this workaround but it did not give the desired result (hmmm, so far I think, this video editor is a so unbearable fiddle-thing ;))

That really is the recommended workaround at the moment - I have forwarded your voice and those of the others to PM again to discuss this further once more. If you wish, feel free to list down what's missing to you additionally when it comes to the video editor, or what you'd like to see adjusted, then I will forward that as well.

• I've managed to achieve this without a workaround but it is a bit awkward.

I opened video editor and created 3 x key frames using the + on the timeline.

Next I set total duration to 8secs.

I then click 1st keyframe and update.

Click 2nd keyframe and update.

Click 3rd keyframe and move the camera - update.

At this point keyframes 1 & 2 move on top of each other with a message 1 & 2 occupy same point in time.

Using the < > buttons you can select keyframe 2 then change the timestamp to 5secs.

On the attached example I added a little sun movement using Time Of Day just so you can see the camera is recording while sitting in the same place between frames 1 & 2.

1st attachment is the animation. 2nd is the video path .xml

Enscape_2021-05-12-10-56-14.zip

test.zip

• ... Thanks steve2802 for your Help :):thumbup:
    For me it doesn´t work as you describe it .

If I assign all for 3 keyframes together a total duration of 10 seconds, then assign 5 seconds to keyframe 2, Enscape arbitrarily changes the total duration time downwards. The result is that keyframe 2 and keyframe 3 always stick together.

A really strange behaviour (and for me so far still an unbelievably badly made video editor ;) )

• ... Thanks steve2802 for your Help :):thumbup:

If I assign all for 3 keyframes together a total duration of 10 seconds, then assign 5 seconds to keyframe 2, Enscape arbitrarily changes the total duration time downwards. The result is that keyframe 2 and keyframe 3 always stick together.

A really strange behaviour (and for me so far still an unbelievably badly made video editor ;) )

Agreed, the video editor is almost useless, not intuitive, and clunky to use, I'd take version 1's editor over this any day.

• Update to steve2802 woraround approach above and my finally successful attempt to reproduce it

... Thanks steve2802 for your Help :):thumbup:

First: Thanks again steve2802 :thumbup:

Yes, I finally got it right and almost identical to how you explained it above - the only difference: I needed at least 5 to 6 keyframes for it. With only 3 keyframes it never worked for me. Thanks to steve2802´s approach I even managed to include a camera pause at the end of my video :thumbup:;)

The fumbling between the constantly readjusting total video length and the timestamps of the individual keyframes is unbearable and amounts to psychological torture for me so far! This impression gets strengthened by completely illogical click sequences outside of any conventions and a miserable responsiveness of the Video UI itself...

The incredibly fast render speed of an Enscape video :thumbup::thumbup: would be fantastic if this bonus were not largely compensated by this for me so nonsensical user interface fiddling:thumbdown::thumbdown:. (for me, this harsh criticism also refers to other Enscape 3.0.0ff UIs or setting procedures (preset management...) but that's another topic)

Yes, I know how to do it now, but I dread having to explain this to anyone.

• What's baffling is that, the hold keyframe worked just fine before 3.0 update. Not really sure what the point of the new video editor was--you can't even slide keyframes. I thought I was doing something wrong because I couldn't slide keyframes.

• agree with all of the above 100%.

even with the method I use it's not easy to do. I have to click the Timestamp Checkbox and quickly get to the counter to adjust the time but it often disappears before I can get to it. :/

I too preferred previous versions of the Video Editor and Preset Management.

It should be much easier to set total duration of the video at any time (often the option is greyed out) ?(. I'd rather the total length of the video controlled the speed rather than the Distance Travelled divided by Speed dictating the overall time if that makes sense.

Only way to make the video longer is to make the camera move further or adjust movement speed in a different window. It should be that you can just add a couple secs to make the camera movement slower. Also this should allow for different movement speeds between different key frames.

Hopefully this is all being addressed by the Enscape Team?

• In other animation packages I have used, slowing down or speeding up the overall animation can be done by "scaling" all the keyframes. When this type of adjustment is needed, a one-time function to "Slow Down by X%" or "Speed Up by X%" would accomplish the type of fine tuning steve2802 is looking for. I cannot imagine a need to limit a path to "exactly 10 seconds"... but if that were needed, we could get close and then adjust one keyframe to make up the difference.

• What's baffling is that, the hold keyframe worked just fine before 3.0 update. Not really sure what the point of the new video editor was--you can't even slide keyframes. I thought I was doing something wrong because I couldn't slide keyframes.

That was immediately what I noticed when I tested the previews for 3. Why would they have this graphic keyframe display without being able to manipulate the keyframe positions. Doesn't make sense, and I do hope this is something Enscape is working on, or else I'll just be stuck at 2.9 for the foreseeable future.

(This was from back in February: Previous releases/previews merged thread)

• Official Post

Thank you for the further feedback!

I appreciate it a lot - I agree that the current workarounds are not ideal and that it was a lot easier to add breaks/pauses during the video creation before. As always, all your voices will be forwarded to our product management team which will then discuss this further with our developers.