Bitmap Errors Continue....

  • Hi landrvr1


    Seeing your line:

    "I deleted all proxy models in my scene. Did a full model purge, saved, and closed. Restarted everything.

    The problem went away entirely."


    Does this mean the issue is resolved by doing so, or does this still return in some way and/or do you need to do this every time?


  • Where does this specific wrong bitmap come from? I assume it's from one of the proxies?


    Is it always the same materials that behave this way or is that not fixed either? Also in that regard, once it's broken does it stay broken for the same material between closing and starting sketchup again?


    I've tried reproducing it myself with a few proxies but haven't had any luck so far.



  • I've continued testing...repeating the same processes across multiple test scenes. So far everything indicates that only when proxies are in the scene is the problem occurring. It doesn't matter how many proxies, or how large. The problem happens when there's hundreds of proxies, or a single (tiny) proxy.

  • Where does this specific wrong bitmap come from? I assume it's from one of the proxies?


    Is it always the same materials that behave this way or is that not fixed either? Also in that regard, once it's broken does it stay broken for the same material between closing and starting sketchup again?


    I've tried reproducing it myself with a few proxies but haven't had any luck so far.

    You are correct. The problem bitmaps come from a proxy within the scene. Take the proxy out, the problem goes away.

    When the problem happens, it's always the same proxy. However, when I delete the proxy from the scene that clearly contains the offending bitmap, a DIFFERENT bitmep will show up (from a different proxy) in its place.


    Lately the problem remains....regardless of restarts, bitmap reassignments and saving, etc. I fix it. Close SketchUp. Re-open. The problem is still there. However, there are absolutely times WHEN THE ISSUE RESOLVES ITSELF and I've done absolutely nothing on my end to fix it.

    This is the most frustrating part of the bug. It's never repeatable outside of specific user systems. Haven't found a single post where this issue is reported and someone was able to replicate the problem.

    There's some common variable there amongst people who have reported the issue. Finding that variable has proved impossible.

  • Used to have this issue. When I import a SketchUp file from a different application. I sometimes will use 3Ds Max for UV Mapping on more complex objects. Once the object has been imported I relink the bitmap material.

    The solution is better material management with either the bitmaps living in the project folder or a server base library.

  • landrvr1 I have found the issue and it turns out it's pretty much random whether it occurs or not and might just depend on how your PC feels like today (just like you described).


    I was able to reproduce the issue, but not naturally. I was able to force it to happen with some slight changes that made it more likely.

    The more unique bitmaps you have the more likely it is but it's still a really low chance of ever happening.


    The cause is that proxies are cached first and randomly a bitmap from the main model might end up with the same id of an already cached proxy-bitmap and so it's re-used even though they are completely different.

    I might be able to get a fix into the preview next week, but no promises :)