HP reverb G2 / steamvr settings

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I have a HP reverb G2 headset, my computer is a 10th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 and 16 GB internal memory.

Can anyone tell me what the correct settings are for steamvr? If I set the resolution settings back to 50% per eye, it is still stuttering and it is not sharp in enscape.

If I use the headset in windows mixed reality, I can use it in full resolution and I have no problems.

• Rick Marx

Approved the thread.
    • Official Post

Hey thabasmann , welcome to our forum - I'm sorry to hear about this behaviour.

Right off the bat, can you please ensure that your NVIDIA drivers are fully up to date? Also, how large is the project in terms of file size and is it perhaps overly complex? Does it help when you simply dial down the Rendering Quality to Medium (just for testing purposes)? You should of course not have to dial down the resolution to only half when using the RTX 3070 with Enscape VR. And the final question, does Enscape run fluently outside of VR just fine?

Alongside, it can't hurt to send us a Feedback Report with your log files. We may very well need those to analyze why Enscape doesn't run well inside VR for you.

• 1. Lessen the compute on your graphic card please try using your VR headset with an EXE file. Did that help?

2. Go to visual settings and set the render quality to high not ultra.

3. Resolution of 2160×2160 per eye isn't nearly as sharp as your computer screen which is likely closer to 4k

Please describe the "stuttering". Is the entire scene flickering or just specific surfaces?

• Thanks both for your response.

Demian Gutberlet

I've installed the latest driver 471.11 WHQL. Off course there is a difference between a project with a house or a industrial building.

The filesize of the model (industrial building) that is flickering is 700mb.

Medium quality runs well. Enscape runs absoluty great without the VR...

Will the update of enscpae 3.1 make a difference?

Phil Read

1. the exe file doesn't run great. It runs better in revit/enscape.

2. i've tested with quality high and VR videosetting on 80%. that's a lot better and I think acceptable.

The flickering is in the entire scene, especially when you look right/left. The higher the resolution, the worse it is.

• Official Post

thabasmann - regarding your question if updating to 3.1 should make a difference, that's a clear yes since DLSS also works inside VR and can greatly enhance performance. This, in turn, may help with the flickering and other technical issues you currently experience, if not, please also send us that Feedback report kindly as mentioned so we also receive your logs.

Also, if there is a chance, could you perhaps record that flickering with your phone for example? This way we get a more clear understanding over what exactly is flickering, where, and so on.

• A few things -

I'll say I've noticed that Enscape performance from the native app seems to work slightly better in VR than the packaged .exe. Like Phil I would have thought the .exe would run better, so this is a bit counterintuitive. Would need to test more to validate this.

I was doing some comparisons this weekend between an HP G2, HP G1, and Vive Pro + Pro 2. The G2 performance was the worst of the bunch in SteamVR. This doesn't make much sense, since it is lower resolution than the Vive Pro 2, and the same as the G1. It should have equivalent performance to the G1. Sampling in Steam was set to 100% in all cases. Will need to do some digging around in Reddit to troubleshoot. HP's VR Headsets (reddit.com)

fwiw these are some of the utilities I use for comparison:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/955610/OpenVR_Benchmark/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

• My ongoing fav is Oculus Rift S based on cost, ease-of-use and set up. I don't like having a Facebook account but then again they write her own software which makes it pretty fool proof. Going through the Steam Store and then Mixed Reality is always a mixed bag of success. It seems like every time the headset rests and the computer goes to sleep you have to reboot just to get things going again. With Oculus Rift it just works.

• I'm getting the same issue with my Reverb G2 and thought I'd report my findings here.

I'm using an i9-9900x, 2080ti and 64GB DDR4. Win/SU/Enscape/WMR/Steam VR all installed on Samsung Evo 980 M.2 SSD. I've never had any bottlenecking so far - my largest model being perhaps only 150MB but often very high-poly and with many HR textures.

The Reverb G2 seems to work fine under normal operation (using the WMR portal to view videos, using the browser or operating the desktop etc.) that's all good, and my system seems to cope with this easily.

However, when I tried to view a current project in Enscape using the G2 I encountered awful stuttering, and noticed my GPU usage was up around 97% (CPU less than 20%). It was completely unusable.

I checked the resolution settings in Steam VR -indeed the resolution was set waaaay over what the G2 is capable of. Reducing it to 2360x2360 (or something like that) per eye helped a LOT. Also, reducing render quality in Enscape from Ultra to High also helped quite a bit- I noticed no real difference between High and Medium however.

So it seems the GPU is the bottleneck - I imagine it's the VRAM capacity rather than core count or speed that's the issue? It won't be PCIe lane bandwidth as you can see from the setup I'm using. I'm surprised, but not overly so. 12GB seems a lot but I often see the system utilising 32GB system memory so....

Back to the Quest 2 it is!

On a separate note- there is a really weird bug using the G2 - I have to switch back and forth between Walk and Fly modes to get both joysticks working. It's a small issue, but another reason why, for now, I will stick to the lower-resolution Quest 2 for use with Enscape.

• Official Post

Thanks for the report BGBUK , if possible, give the latest preview a try please and make especially sure that DLSS is activated. Overall you should notice a pretty noticeable performance boost. I'd love to hear your reports! :)

Also, even though the 2080ti is still a capable card, depending on the project a high resolution like that found on the G2 can indeed bring the GPU to its knees - perhaps if the preview gives you that noticeable boost you can even try to use the G2 again.

• Just an FYI, the SteamVR Resolution Per Eye setting should be at 3169 x 3088 (100%) if you want the image in the Reverb G2 to display "natively". This setting is the internal render resolution necessary to apply the counter-lens distortion correction without losing clarity (it renders at 3169 x 3088, applies a pin-cushion distortion, and because it oversampled, the most stretched areas look "native" resolution). All headsets will render this way in fact (the 100% setting in SteamVR will show a higher than native resolution).

I have a G2 and use Enscape with Sketchup, I find the headset not really useable on most versions of Enscape, unfortunately. 3.1 was the best so far in terms of performance and visual clarity. I would turn off raytracing and run at medium quality in Enscape's settings and get juuuuust passable performance, enough to give someone (perhaps a client) who might have a lower tolerance to frame drops etc. I was hoping that Enscape would eventually decouple DLSS from the RTX Hardware Raytracing button so that I could get the performance boost of DLSS combined with the sensible choice of having RTX Hardware Raytracing off (raytracing in high-res VR is an unreal expectation at the moment I think) - And they did! I have 3.2 but when I tried DLSS with Hardware-accelerated Raytracing off, it created a lot of aliasing, and the performance has also gotten worse compared to 3.1

Feels a bit one step forward, one step back and sideways with Enscape VR. Really want it to work.