Enscape causes Nvidia Driver to crash at high and ultra settings

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Enscape version: 2.3.0.83 (trial)

Sketchup version: SketchUp Pro 18.0.16975

Nvidia Drivers: 391.35

PC: Dell XPS L702x, Nvidia GT555m, 8gb RAM

Operating system: Windows 7

Issue:

If the quality is set to high or ultra, and the automatic resolution box is unchecked, Enscape causes the Nvidia driver to stop responding when the render window is maximized or when I try to take a snapshot of the current Enscape view. The screen goes black for a second, and Sketchup crashes with a BugSplat. Having Enscape Object lights in the scene as opposed to emissive material light sources GREATLY exacerbates the issue. An otherwise geometry-heavy scene with only material lights only crashes if I change the time of day too rapidly, or if I move the camera too quickly, however, I can still take snapshots of the Enscape view. Adding just a few Enscape Object Lights with a scene set to high or ultra with automatic resolution unchecked immediately causes the Nvidia Driver to crash.

I know that my laptop and graphics cards are old, but I can render scenes twice more complicated and with twice more light sources in other rendering programs without such an issue. They just take a very, very, very long time to render :)

What I've tried so far:

Making sure that the Windows Power Settings are set to High Performance.

Increasing the timeout detection recovery of the graphics card (TdrDelay) in regedit.

Overclocking the graphics card (core clock and memory clock)

Trying Enscape on a different version of Sketchup (2017)

Installing the drivers recommended on the Enscape site.

Installing five different older Nvidia drivers.

Changing the settings for EnscapeClient.exe in the Nvidia Control Panel (making sure that the Power Management Mode is set to Prefer Maximum Performace)

None of the above has had any effect.

As an aside, I just want to say how awesome I think Enscape is. For its speed and ease of use, the quality it produces is unparalleled. I hope a solution can be found for this problem before my trial period expires, so I know if I can proceed with using it in the future. Thanks in advance!

• Thank you for letting me know, Vendel3D! I'm not sure how, if at all, switching between Enscape versions would affect my trial.

I hope I don't jinx it, but I believe I may have resolved the issue. As I mentioned in my original post, I tried increasing the timeout detection recovery of the graphics card (TdrDelay) in regedit (from the default 2 to 10). The instructions I followed said to use a 64 bit key for TdrDelay (Qword), and that's what I did to no avail. However, after posting the bug report here, I did some more research and a different site said that the key should be 32 bit (Dword). So I changed it, and there were suddenly no more crashes other than when I try to take a high-res snapshot (~4k). So I thought to myself, if changing the value from 2 to 10 helped a bit, what would happen if I changed the value to, say, 30? Well, here's what happened - there are now no more crashes whatsoever! I can't even force a crash, no matter how much geometry or light sources I through at Enscape.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

P.S.

I love Enscape.

• Xayzer Ist not affecting your trial! And thanks for sharing your gained knowledge.

Changing this values increases the risk that your driver is unable to recover which could result in freezes of your system and bluescreens.

I would recommend to get a better GPU as the GT555M with one GB ram isn't officially supported.

Vendel3D Our developers will check it.

• Xayzer Ist not affecting your trial! And thanks for sharing your gained knowledge.

Changing this values increases the risk that your driver is unable to recover which could result in freezes of your system and bluescreens.

Thank you for letting me know, Jonathan! I've experienced no issues so far, and I've read about people setting the value up to 60, so I hope I'll be fine.

I would recommend to get a better GPU :P

Well, currently I could either afford getting a better GPU, or getting Enscape after my trial ends. What would you recommend? :P

• Well, currently I could either afford getting a better GPU, or getting Enscape after my trial ends. What would you recommend? :P

Getting Enscape at first to increase your productivity what should allow you to get a new GPU ;)

• Getting Enscape at first to increase your productivity what should allow you to get a new GPU ;)

I have a brand new HP ZBook G6 VR notebook with an RTX3000 6GB (i7-9850, 32gb ram), and mine crashes as well while exporting with ultra hd. This shouldn't happen. I didn't have this problem before with my ZBook G3. I have the lastest nvidia quadro drivers installed (441.66). Seems to be a software problem? Regards, B

• I have a brand new HP ZBook G6 VR notebook with an RTX3000 6GB (i7-9850, 32gb ram), and mine crashes as well while exporting with ultra hd. This shouldn't happen. I didn't have this problem before with my ZBook G3. I have the lastest nvidia quadro drivers installed (441.66). Seems to be a software problem? Regards, B

Did you try the solution that I mentioned worked for me? Here's a more detailed way of how to do it:

https://docs.substance3d.com/s…mputations-128745489.html

Ever since I applied this trick, I've barely had any problems with crashing.

• I wanted to give you a kiss! :) :) :) This tip solved all my problems with enscape. I can now generate 8K renders on ultra (4GB 1050TI). Thank you for sharing