Skybox Scaling

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hello,

Curious to know if there is a scaling variable setting for skybox hdri images. It seems to be a struggle to incorporate skyboxes into building render models at the right proportion.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

:revit:

• Seems logical if there would be a slide bar adjustment setting for the skybox scaling. I spend more time on my sky background than anything else with enscape unfortunately. It's the only laking item that bugs me and make renderings look less than presentable.

• Official Post

DPHORVATH , thanks a lot for your suggestion - please be aware that generally only some height/stretching features could be added to adjust the skybox, since overall the sky/hdri file is fixed in its overall perspective and proportions of buildings for example. Feel free to share an example here of course when it comes to the skybox not fitting the scene well and I can then tell if this is something that would even be resolvable with a stretching/height feature.

• Demian Gutberlet is there a specific fraction of the full equirectangular height that the Enscape background fits to? It's not the Enscape provided ones that are an issue but user created ones, manually added to the Enscape "Horizons" folder. (I'm assuming I'm thinking of the same thing DPHORVATH is talking about.)

• ^^^ The "fraction" will depend on your FOV. A skybox background has to cover 360º horizontally and 180º vertically - it is essentially just mapping the inside of a sphere that encompasses the whole scene. A typical rendering might be 60º-75º - so if for example you just wanted to use a standard photo as a background, it would have to repeat/tile 5-6 times.

You can't "scale" the background in two directions without introducing tiling/repeating. And if you scale it one direction the proportions will be messed up, and you would have to fill in color, or -something- where the image is "missing" after it gets scaled. I'd think Enscape could add a scaling feature, but it would have to be used with the understanding that you will see seams if your camera spins the full 360, or if it tilts too far up or down.

It is all solvable with some Photoshop work. Generally the portion of the 360 background filling the camera FOV at any given time is -much- smaller than you might think.

• I'm talking specifically about Enscape "horizon" image files that allow for the Enscape sky to show above the horizon through the .png transparency. Currently those images are 700 pixels tall. Maybe they are cropped directly from a 4k equirectangular hdri? My issue is when I try to replicate them (by layering a panoramic photo over the original), the proportion doesn't seem to be correct.

• The HDRI skies that i like to use are from HDRI Haven. They have great lighting characteristics. However it is very tough to find one that has the lighting you want and the same scale of the scenery to the building model. For example the trees of the HRDI image could appear 200 ft tall when i have a 5 story building in the scene and the maple trees are towering over my 5 story building, that is what i mean by out of scale / proportion. If there was an enscape adjustment to scale the hdri to the model that would be amazing.

Seems very reasonable to do in my opinion.

If perhaps the HDRI types that i am using are not appropriate for use with Enscape, then let me know (maybe that is my problem). Perhaps someone can suggest another source for HDRI skies for use with Enscape.

Cheers.

Dave

• partilho exatamente mesmo problema

"Por exemplo, como as árvores da imagem hrdi poderiam aparecem com 200 pés de altura quando eu tenho um prédio de 5 andares na cena e as árvores de ser bordo se e sobre o meu edifício de 5 andares, que é o que eu quero dizer com para a de escala / proporção. Se houve um ajuste enscape para dimensionar o hdri para o modelo que seria incrível.

Parece muito razoável fazer na minha opinião."

• this is another great suggestion :thumbsup: pls add setting for skybox adjustment like height etc. i'm a long user of 3ds max so when i use hdri in enscape i really scratch my head to find the right hdri for my scene. with rotation option as the only setting for skybox, makes a lot of hdri file became useless. the only solution is using photoshop to edit the hdri files so i can use it on my scene.

• Official Post

this is another great suggestion :thumbsup: pls add setting for skybox adjustment like height etc. i'm a long user of 3ds max so when i use hdri in enscape i really scratch my head to find the right hdri for my scene. with rotation option as the only setting for skybox, makes a lot of hdri file became useless. the only solution is using photoshop to edit the hdri files so i can use it on my scene.

This may be tricky to implement, but I will also of course forward your Feedback and feature request. Thanks a lot!

• I am having the same problem. I am using HDRI images from "HDRI haven" but whenever i put them in the enscape skybox, their scale is just too big. I assumed that maybe its because i am working with millimeters, so i changed everything to meters but i still have the same problem. I also tried different HDRIs but same results.

• Official Post

You can use Photoshop or other software for image processing to edit your skybox image or compose a photo into a skybox. You can use this as a reference. Use the reference as a skybox in Enscape and strech your background photo according to the grid. Use the reference as a skybox in Enscape and adjust your background photo according to the grid.