Render Preview Ontop

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • So I have tried the Pin to Top windows scripts and find it a bit frustrating as sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Can the Dev team provide a technical explanation for why the Enscape Preview doesn't pin to the top of other windows when all other Enscape windows do?

• Official Post

So at the moment at least it's a design decision that the Enscape preview window does not stay on top of other windows - or are you simply asking in this case why the windows scripts do not work properly as they should with Enscape?

• Official Post

jtubb , one of the reasons the window does not stay on top by default is that we generally recommend a 2 monitor setup to be used with Enscape, which would make that function relatively unnecessary, although I'm fully aware that we have many laptop users well which may be working on the go.

While third party applications should provide an easy solution to this current implementation I'll discuss it again with product management! :)

• What would be the issue with giving users the option. why do you guys have to make all of these "design decisions" when you could simply give your users the option to manage it how they want. I for one really struggle with many of your "design decisions" regarding workflow

• Official Post

What would be the issue with giving users the option. why do you guys have to make all of these "design decisions" when you could simply give your users the option to manage it how they want. I for one really struggle with many of your "design decisions" regarding workflow

I completely get that reasoning. At least currently it's our goal to not add any features that may clutter the interface though, features that aren't used by the majority of users - still, I can completely understand your side as well and this is also reasoning for me to push this feature onward.

• You guys can use a free software called always-on-top as Vlad Moldovan had explained in one of his amazing videos..

Skip the video to 5:17 to watch him explain how he keeps the Enscape window on top.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I completely get that reasoning. At least currently it's our goal to not add any features that may clutter the interface though, features that aren't used by the majority of users - still, I can completely understand your side as well and this is also reasoning for me to push this feature onward.

Demian,

Thanks for your reply, but i just cant understand why "it's our goal to not add any features that may clutter the interface though" surely basic options this this would benefit all users and a check box would hardly be cluttering the interface rather enhancing it (restmode anyone). I really thing enscape needs to revisit its fundamental approach to these kinds of options, rather than making (the wrong) decision give users the option

• You guys can use a free software called always-on-top as Vlad Moldovan had explained in one of his amazing videos..

Skip the video to 5:17 to watch him explain how he keeps the Enscape window on top.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You also see the script fail at 7:39 - When users are having to start using ducktape to fix an issue that's when a solution should be implemented.

At least currently it's our goal to not add any features that may clutter the interface though, features that aren't used by the majority of users

I have to disagree, and now I'm more interested in who this user base you mention. The rendered preview window is the most important window especially now with all the UI integration that has been added. You could argue that the preview window now (v3) is more cluttered than before..... however, I understand the reasoning, again, making it even more important that it should have hierarchy over all other enscape windows including the parent application. You have many users that work solely from one screen and not talking about a laptop. Ultra wides are more and more popular. Also, I find that having Enscape open in a maximized window dedicated to one monitor is poor practice as it's a resource hog. Unfortunately, at this point to dig in it poor judgment if the user base continues to ask and the solution that is presented is a 3rd party script - ie ducktape.

I'd be curious what a current survey would state as I've taken a few Enscape Surveys and never has the question been present.

• Official Post

Thanks, jtubb , I have forwarded everything you just wrote, thanks a lot. All I can say at the moment is that I'd love a native always-on-top feature too, so as mentioned above I can use your feedback as well for leverage. And while I'll open a discussion again about this subject I of course cannot guarantee yet what the outcome will be. It's not the best solution but for now, a third-party application will have to be used to keep the Enscape window in front all the time. I do appreciate the input from everyone here, thanks a lot.