Cameras

• Sice the camera positons is very difficult to acquire in Sketchup.

Why can't you a put a camera with it's caracteristics like ISO, or SHUTTER opening and X,Y,Z position like 3D Studio, or any other sofware.

Thank you

• goncalo.t3 , thanks a lot for your inquiry!

Could you perhaps go into a bit further detail about what you mean by "camera positions is very difficult to acquire"? You can match the perspective output of SketchUp with Enscape via View Synchronisation, you can of course also create scenes in SketchUp/Enscape which can then be viewed/navigated by either SketchUp/Enscape too. If you can elaborate on this subject a bit further then that would be great so I can file your inquiry as a feature request. Thanks!

• Not sure if the original post is a general complaint about SketchUp, or an Enscape feature request....?

If the latter - could Enscape add a camera object, as it does with lights or assets? Being able to precisely place a camera + target point with FOV would be a huge step forward in making SketchUp a better production tool.

• rifkin
    Did you know that in SketchUp you can use the Position Camera tool (looks like a person in the tool bar) to precisely position a camera?

With it selected, if you click once you’ll stand where you clicked but……

If you click and drag to a 2nd point you’ll look along the 2 points you selected….. draw lines exactly where you want cameras to be/looking at and hey presto you’ll have repeatable views.

Bonus tip ….. if you pick the 2 diagonally opposite corners of a cube and view in non perspective you’ll have perfect 45deg ISO views

• For me the need is to be able to input xyz coordinates, and/or copy cameras from one file to another. We usually have several people working on portions of the same project. Trying to combine several large models in SketchUp with Copy/Paste or Import can take a ridiculously long time. If we could replicate the cameras across files we could potentially do more compositing work without having to combine them. Or, after a file has been worked on for weeks or months, we might want to start with a truly clean file, import the views, and only import the geometry we need. (I know there is Purge Unused, and the CleanUp extension, but sometimes a file gets so unwieldy you just want to be sure you are starting fresh.)

Maybe you can do it with Advanced Camera Tools; I messed around with that at some point without much success. Just seems excessively difficult to do something that should be pretty basic.

• rifkin, most of your issues are with sketchup it seems and not enscape. Enscape has to operate with in the constraints of sketchup which are err significant especially if you are used to normal production 3d software. Almost anything beyond simple needs an extension/plugin added to sketchup to deliver functionaility needed for production work.

Thats why enscape for 3dsmax would be a godsend for me as it would free me from the biggest limitation of enscape which for me is sketchup.

• rifkin, most of your issues are with sketchup it seems and not enscape. Enscape has to operate with in the constraints of sketchup which are err significant especially if you are used to normal production 3d software.

Oh I totally get that. I think we were mostly trying to figure out what the original post was asking for. And then thinking about it, it doesn't seem impossible for Enscape to develop a camera object. It is amazing what they have managed to accomplish within the constraints of Sketchup.

• Hello.

The sketchup cameras do not work the way i believe they should work.

And i think Enscape can do that using the same method as lights (at least like that)

For me, the best way to position a camera is to use the move command.

Some times, for a good "photo" "render" i need to align architecture lines. And with the way enscape use to position the view most of the time that is no possible.

Just a touch to the left or right keys, and it's of place.

Don't know if i can explain better.

A camera with UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT position using the move, would be greate

Thank you