Creating "Enscape View" overrides and changes current Style

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • When I use the Create View button, it creates a scene in Sketchup to match. However, if I choose that scene in Sketchup it changes my current style to another. Is there a way to have the new views just assume your current Sketchup style?

• when you create the view, re-name it in the SU scene tray and un-tic all the boxes except for the camera position (and shadows if you want to keep the time of day). Do this before actually using/selecting the scene in SU.

• when you create the view, re-name it in the SU scene tray and un-tic all the boxes except for the camera position (and shadows if you want to keep the time of day). Do this before actually using/selecting the scene in SU.

Seems like a hassle to always have to do that when creating a scene. Surely it'd be smoother if you didn't have to.

• Yup - asked for already. My work-flow is to click the button to generate the image, then create a scene from that position - by the time I have re-named it and un-ticked all the boxes, the image has rendered... If it happened automagically I could watch it rendering instead.

If all the settings were saved per scene I could batch generate them while working on the basics for the next model.

• Enscape's saving of scenes is a little to 'robust' for my liking. I turn off scene thumbnails but every time I save a scene with the Enscape button it turns them back on which means that SketchUp tries to generate the thumbnails each time I switch to the panel with the scenes dialog in it.

Very annoying.

• Enscape's saving of scenes is a little to 'robust' for my liking. I turn off scene thumbnails but every time I save a scene with the Enscape button it turns them back on which means that SketchUp tries to generate the thumbnails each time I switch to the panel with the scenes dialog in it.

Very annoying.

Have the scenes open (and pinned/visible) within a tray in SU before adding the scenes from Enscape (I put mine on the default tray - windows|manage trays). The thumbnails will only generate when you double-click on a tic box or force the scenes dialogue to re-load (pin and un-pin it, roll it up/down, open the model)

• There’s an option in the ‘Creating scene thumbnails’ dialog to stop the creation of themes in the future but Enscape seems to ignore it, even after it’s selected any new scene Enscape adds will automatically try to generate thumbnails.

I’m assuming that you employ a ruby CMD to create a scene, I wonder if there’s an option along the lines of ‘-nothumb‘

• Paul Russam That's indeed an unrelated setting of SketchUp.

So you would like to use the option "Use Scene Thumbnails" to control the Thumbnails of Enscape?

What would be the benefit over the favorite view mark up functionality of Enscape?

I think these are two different settings that should stay separated.

• I don't use the thumbnails at all, I name my scenes and view them as a list.

I find it very annoying when I open a model and SketchUp insists on going through the process of making the thumbnails, with a complex model and lots of scenes it can take ages for it to process them.

Prior to Enscape when I enabled the 'Do not create thumbnails' option it would stay off for any subsequently created scenes in the model but now if I create a scene with the Enscape button it turns the thumbnail option back on.

I'd like the Enscape button to respect the setting, if the thumbnail option is on .. create them, if its off ... don't create them.

But .... I fully understand that if the Ruby command to create scenes doesn't have that option you can't do anything about it.

• When I turn off the option "Use Scene Thumbnails" and create a Scene out of Enscape, the new Scene is created without a thumbnail in SketchUp.

Which version of SU and Enscape are you using?

• I've just tested it with SU17 and v2.2 and v2.3 of Enscape. Works fine with both combinations.

Could you describe your single steps a little bit more detailed. Maybe we're able to reproduce it then.

Thanks in advance!

• If you do not have the Scenes window open when creating the enscape view it will generate the SU thumbnails the next time you open it or un-dock it... but there is a tic-box popup that asks if you want to do this.

(Enscape thumbs are a bit of a hit/miss kind of thing; Sometimes they come in as you would expect, sometimes they are blank, sometimes they look to be corrupt image files. But the names as they correspond to SU are constant and that's what I use.)

• Official Post

Hey Paul Russam , thank you very much for the video. Just to make sure, before I'll file it as a feature request, you effectively want to disable the automatic "Use scene thumbnails" functionality when exporting a view via Enscape? Maybe you'd also like the option to re-enable this functionality again?

• Official Post

Yes, I’d like to disable the thumbnail creation.

I personally wouldn’t be reenabling it but I think it’s important for you to have an on/off functionality in Ensape

Hey Paul Russam, our developers had a closer look at this subject at hand and I'm afraid, it turns out, there is currently no way to disable the automatic thumbnail creation, as this is technically not possible.

I dearly hope that this won't negatively impact your workflow too much.

• No worries.

I thought that might be the case after I looked at the SketchUp Ruby API myself, there doesn't appear to be an option when creating a scene via ruby to enable/disable thumbnails but I hoped you may have discovered a sneaky way to achieve it :)