Workflow Issues with Enscape Updates

• A little background on my office's Enscape Workflow. We use Enscape for internal design review and renderings for client presentations. Occasionally, we will export a standalone model and cycle through set views. Daylighting and Element Visibility are important factors in this process, especially when showing design options. In my opinion, the best aspect of Enscape was the speed and ease renderings could be created.

I have loved the program since I started using it nearly 4 years ago. However, these most recent updates (in 2021) have caused me quite a bit of frustration. Before the update, users had the ability to control the creation of views within Revit and were independent of the Enscape Software. This allowed users to have one "base view" that we would use to launch Enscape and then have the ability to navigate the different star views without switching from the base view. This was crucial because it allowed a consistency across images, in terms of what was visible in each view, landscape elements, hidden elements in views, and the specified daylighting for the base view. The view creation in Enscape is now native to Enscape and automatically switches to a new base view each time you change the view. Furthermore, the daylighting settings are selected and saved but then will not apply when returning to the view. Additionally, when using design options it requires you to create a new view for each design option. Therefore, the image/rendering is nearly impossible to recreate exactly. Beforehand, you could set a single view then cycle through the options. This kept everything in the rendering, except the design options, exactly the same. This is crucial in comparing the options. While these may seem like minor items, they can cause a massive amount of time to be added to generating renderings, which is not ideal. The part that is most frustrating is the fact that these were not issues before and in fact were beneficial, so why change them?

• Hi Luke - I believe there were a number of requests to match the properties of the Revit view when switching between views during live presentations as well as exported renderings. This includes:

- Revit Visibility / Graphics

- Revit Time of Date / Date

- Design Options

- Section Box

- Hidden Elements

- Phase Properties

At present there is not an option to merely move the camera when selecting saved views (which may be provided in the future). For your purpose (at present) it will be necessary to duplicate views and apply the appropriate view properties. For example you would duplicate a series of view then apply different design options to each view so that the camera location is the same but the design option changes.

• I agree with ljohnson on all counts.

The new preview release now has an option to turn the view syncing off, but it's still very confusing because now there's no way to tell where Enscape gets the geometry. You just have to remember what your active was when you turned view syncing off.

• Here's how to use the new preview with disabled view syncing:

1) Select the view with the desired active view state

2) Turn off view syncing (Export Geometry option)

Selecting other views now retains the view state of the active view when view syncing was disabled.

• What I think will happen in production:

1) user launches with view sync on (it's the default)

2) user switches views and gets slow view loads

3) user gets frustrated and turns view reloading off

4) user now forgot (or didn't pay attention) to what view was active when they turned it off

5) user has no idea in what view to go to hide things now

6) user needs to turn view sync back on

7) go back to step (1)

What we need is a indication somewhere that tells the user to what view Enscape is linked to.

Or better: have a checkbox for each view (off by default) that says "load geometry". Only when that checkbox is active, Enscape reloads the geometry based on that view when switching.

• "Or better: have a checkbox for each view (off by default) that says "load geometry". Only when that checkbox is active, Enscape reloads the geometry based on that view when switching."

Seems more complicated than one click to disable / enable view sync. If user doesn't know what they're doing and they want to disable view syncing tell them to try this:

1) Select the view with the desired active view state

2) Turn off view syncing (Export Geometry option)

Selecting other views now retains the view state of the active view when view syncing was disabled.

• Helpful

I appreciate you're trying to help and I realize you mean well.

That said, my feedback is informed by working on a daily basis with 60 occasional Enscape users, many of whom have been complaining about wanting to go back to 2.9 (we skipped 3.0 and rolled out 3.1 a few weeks ago because we migrated projects to Revit 2022 and 2.9 doesn't support it). I had the ones who were complaining the most install the latest preview and predictably: they found the new behavior a lot more confusing than 2.9 and would still rather go back.

There's two problems:

- different from with 2.9, there is no visual feedback what view enscape is linked to (where it's getting its geometry0

- it's not intuitively clear what the difference is between "pause live updates" and "turn off export geometry"

One of my users suggested this as a fix: rename the feature to "lock geometry" because that's what it does: it locks enscape to a particular view. Than ideally it should show the name of the view Enscape is locked to.

• A little background on my office's Enscape Workflow. We use Enscape for internal design review and renderings for client presentations. Occasionally, we will export a standalone model and cycle through set views. Daylighting and Element Visibility are important factors in this process, especially when showing design options. In my opinion, the best aspect of Enscape was the speed and ease renderings could be created.

I have loved the program since I started using it nearly 4 years ago. However, these most recent updates (in 2021) have caused me quite a bit of frustration. Before the update, users had the ability to control the creation of views within Revit and were independent of the Enscape Software. This allowed users to have one "base view" that we would use to launch Enscape and then have the ability to navigate the different star views without switching from the base view. This was crucial because it allowed a consistency across images, in terms of what was visible in each view, landscape elements, hidden elements in views, and the specified daylighting for the base view. The view creation in Enscape is now native to Enscape and automatically switches to a new base view each time you change the view. Furthermore, the daylighting settings are selected and saved but then will not apply when returning to the view. Additionally, when using design options it requires you to create a new view for each design option. Therefore, the image/rendering is nearly impossible to recreate exactly. Beforehand, you could set a single view then cycle through the options. This kept everything in the rendering, except the design options, exactly the same. This is crucial in comparing the options. While these may seem like minor items, they can cause a massive amount of time to be added to generating renderings, which is not ideal. The part that is most frustrating is the fact that these were not issues before and in fact were beneficial, so why change them?

Maybe this point ljohnson had didn't get spoken about here yet. (Bold/underlined) But it is something I run into often even when customizing settings and saving them. They don't always hold. It's not all settings that drop but often enough a few, I just haven't nailed it down to a certain few that always do it. Fog and bloom often reset to defaults when everything else holds. Or, Time of day/sun settings are just wiped while most else seems to have held as saved, etc.

I keep thinking I'm making a wrong step somewhere that causes this but haven't figured it out yet, and was wondering if others were seeing this happen.