Simplified Linework for Enscape Assets in Plan, Elevation, and Section for Revit

• Hello Enscape Team,

I am requesting that at some point in the future each Enscape Asset Family that can be placed and used in Revit be offered with an option to show simplified, clean linework in Plan, Elevation, and Section. Currently, the individual Revit / Enscape User can do this by editing the Asset Family, importing or creating the desired simplified linework, associating the proper parameters so that the linework or imported DWG can scale correctly as the Enscape Asset 3D geometry scales, and then giving it a visibility parameter (or this can be controlled with the visibility / graphic overrides). Similarly, a visibility parameter also needs to be assigned to the 3D geometry of the Enscape Asset family, so that it can be turned off as needed, I think keeping the 3D geometry so that it only displays in 3D views (via the visibility / graphic overrides in the Enscape Asset family) is the best approach and then the simplified line work only shows in plan, elevation, and section or plan, left/right, front/back. This way, once the Revit model is populated with Enscape Assets, with the toggle of a parameter, floor plans, elevations, and sections can be print-ready -- at least in terms of how the entourage, planting, and furniture will look.

This is a cumbersome task, but given the quality of product / service that Enscape offers and strives to uphold, I think providing presentation-ready Enscape Assets should be a priority. One of the advantages that Enscape has over TwinMotion and Lumion is that you can use Enscape while using Revit to the point that Enscape elements show up in Revit -- by making the Enscape Asset Families look good enough to serve as elements that will be shown on presentation and print-ready plans, you are further embedding Enscape into the workflow of designers...For instance, Enscape will be needed to not only render beautiful interiors but also to create a quick and legible furniture plan. Individuals can do all of the above steps as a customization to Enscape Assets, but I think it is time that Enscape put in the leg work to offer this as standard for all Enscape Assets.

I am happy to show how this can be done and I believe this is a low-hanging fruit item that can help Enscape maintain its spot as the top rendering plug-in for Revit.

Thanks,

Mark

• Go to Best Answer
  • Think you can kind of do what you want already as I am pretty sure you can tell Enscape to associate any existing Revit family with one of the Enscape assets. This should allow you to set up the Revit family as you would normally want it to be displayed in Revit but this will then get swapped out for the Enscape asset when run in Enscape - Think Enscape basically adds a couple of additional parameters to your Revit Family.

I believe this feature is only available with Revit - but to be honest I haven't actually tried it yet.

This doesn't allow you to have the option to display the asset in the Revit 3D view, but having said that most Revit users have issues with how the Enscape 3D geometry looks in Revit anyway........

• Hi Trav,

I am familiar with this customization as well -- Phil Read put out a straightforward tutorial on this awhile ago. Like I was saying in my post, I think that Enscape should at least build-in simplified linework into their Enscape Assets for Revit (slightly different than what you describe above), instead of the customer doing so as an after market tweak.

I know how to achieve the desired result, it is just the time intensive obstacle of doing so for every Enscape Asset for Revit. It would be great if Enscape offered this "out-of-the-box" -- it would be another feature that sets Enscape apart from its competitors. In terms of it only being for Revit...I think initially that would be fine...for awhile there were Sketchup-specific things that Enscape would offer that didn't apply to Revit. Eventually, I think there could be a way for this to be possible for all Enscape Assets for all supported design software.

Thanks,

Mark

• Think you can kind of do what you want already as I am pretty sure you can tell Enscape to associate any existing Revit family with one of the Enscape assets. This should allow you to set up the Revit family as you would normally want it to be displayed in Revit but this will then get swapped out for the Enscape asset when run in Enscape - Think Enscape basically adds a couple of additional parameters to your Revit Family.

I believe this feature is only available with Revit - but to be honest I haven't actually tried it yet.

This doesn't allow you to have the option to display the asset in the Revit 3D view, but having said that most Revit users have issues with how the Enscape 3D geometry looks in Revit anyway........

This is a pretty poor replacement for just having the models show up with clean linework. First of all you still need another asset that isn't an enscape asset to link to, secondly if the coords of the linked asset aren't exactly what Enscape's asset is (which isn't always predictable or properly centered annoyingly enough) then you'll find in enscape the sizing/shape/etc doesn't match best case, worst case objects will actually just be sunken in geometry. If there was a way to manually set an offset then this would be a usable feature but as it stands now, it isn't. What especially perplexing is you'd think default revit assets would line up perfectly (i.e. using the default revit bed), but they dont! So in the end, you pretty much have to make custom assets anyways for this feature to work smoothly. It's far easier to manually edit the enscape models with linework tool (tedious, not reproducible) or by adding masking regions/symbolic lines in 2D to the family itself.

It isn't like what the first post suggests isn't possible - all the simplified "revit model" meshes have linework you can manually clean up, there's no reason they need to show geometry linework for the CAD versions of the models.

It would save us a HUGE amount of time and effort if they just kept the lines on these CAD models only for actual outlines/silhouettes.

• It's not just about line work. It's also about level of detail, scheduling, and other important features that you need to track throughout the project. Even if Enscape modifies assets to properly control line work are they going to put them on the right category in the family editor? Are they going to give them the right insertion point or rotational angle based on how you've built your content?

It's really complicated issue and the Enscape team is building plug-ins for five different design applications that behave differently (and likely more). I think the most useful compromise would be to allow assets with parameters to control orientation, rotation and materials. So when they're associated to a Revit family you can control how they rotate and originate in context with the Revit family.

Ultimately let Enscape be Enscape and Revit be Revit. Allow the Revit family component to provide the analytic feedback: scheduling, graphics, etc. Let the Enscape asset provide emotional feedback. Don't go beyond diminished returns in Enscape for the sake of Revit and keep developing new useful features for all applications.

Ultimately if a mission critical Enscape asset is not behaving per design requirements in Revit it would seem a meaningful investment to rebuild the asset as native Revit.

• Best Answer

A solution that would work reasonably well and would not require a lot of effort from Enscape developers is hiding the triangulation edges of the assets, just like it already works in Sketchup and Rhino.

These are some mockups in Revit before and after hiding triangulation edges. For my usecases, these are good enough. It has the benefit that:

- it works in all views, not just plan view

- it works on custom assets

- no need to complicate the asset creation process further by including 2d linework

- consistent with the other platforms Enscape runs in

- would work for existing assets and asset libraries

Little caveat: this is not yet fully supported in Revit... but it's highly voted on the Revit wishlist so I wouldn't be surprised if it's on their radar. https://forums.autodesk.com/t5…ve-faceting/idi-p/8738867

• Pieter,

That's a great point and a more elegant solution than using alternate simplified 2D line work to make Enscape Assets look better in Plan, Elevation, and Section. I've used "invisible lines" linework to make individual Enscape Assets look better in Plan but never bothered to do it in 3D, Elevation, and Section (this linework approach while in the Revit project file was my first workaround before I started just editing the Enscape Asset family instead). Those images you shared look great! No need to provide alternate linework, the 3D geometry without triangulation lines shown reads very nicely in all views. I would think this could be a straightforward fix for Enscape, I know certain Revit elements like Toposurfaces and floors give the ability to turn triangulation lines on / off, I wonder if there is a way to give the Revit Enscape Asset Families a similar parameter, so that this could be controlled via the Visibility / Graphics Overrides. That said, just having the Enscape Assets show up without Triangulation Edges as you have illustrated would be preferred. Thank you for your comment, very helpful!