VR Headset problems - fixed by disabling RTX

• Hello,

Is it possible to use Enscape 2.9 on Revit 2022 ?

We have a problem making 3.1 working with Oculus 2 Headset (problems with jaggy navigation, and slow walking controls), but we need to use VR on some projects which are already saved on Revit 2022.

We noticed that Enscape 2.9 isn't recognized by Revit 2022.

Can you please give us a way to make Enscape 2.9 with Revit 2022 while you're fixing the VR for Enscape 3.1 ?

Thank you

• archimage , thanks a lot for your post - I'm afraid, there is no version of Enscape 2.9 available which would be compatible with Revit 2022. But, we would of course love to further troubleshoot the problems you're having with Enscape VR. If you haven't already, definitely send us a Feedback report as described here and include a link to this thread in the Feedback submission form.

Also, how are you connecting the Quest 2 with Enscape? Wirelessly, or via a link cable?

• Hello, thanks for the information, now we stopped using 3.1 so we need to uninstall 2.9 to make the feedback as described, is there another method to send you the feedback ?

I'm using the Oculus Quest 2 with link cable :

Here are the problems I've seen so far :

- The camera movement isn't stable, it seems to be stable and locked in 2.9, but in 3.1 when moving the head there are vertical choppy jumps of the camera, this makes the VR unusable.

- The shadows/materials aren't as realistic as 2.9 when we compare both versions for the same project and same settings. Looks like it's always in preview mode, and doesn't give accurate picture, it's also too bright.

- The walking speed is very slow, and it's switch between walking/running in both versions this needs to be improved

• archimage

Changed the title of the thread from “Enscape 2.9 support for Revit 2022” to “Oculus Quest 2 problems - Enscape 2.9 support for Revit 2022”.
  • I had an answer from the support service that Oculus Quest 2 isn't supported, so there's no plan to improve this ? That's the only answer we have to this problem ? In other terms you are answering this is not a problem.

We feel in the company that 3 version is more a downgrade than an upgrade, and losing VR performance is just a part of it because all the rendering quality, stability, seems lower and less realistic.

If you don't plan to support VR and stay focused on such old hardware as Oculus Rift, that's a shame, things that were working perfectly on 2.9 should work on 3.2 at least because Revit is moving forward and the industry forces us to keep up to date with latest versions which produce files that aren't compatible with older versions.

If you drop 2.9 and the functions that were working fine to focus on 3.2, please at least make a build of 2.9 that works for latest Revit if you don't plan to support them because Autodesk give us no choice the files aren't downgradable. So we need old features to work at least in that transition period.

I still don't understand how you can say you support VR with such old hardware as Oculus Rift which is very old, and entirely skip Oculus Quest 2 even if lot of users who invested on this hardware made it work with the 2.9 even wireless. Even if you didn't mention OQ2 as supported, you should take it into account because if you aren't updating the VR, it's still a feature you advertise as working. It was working quite good that's true, even more than expected, now it's being crippled and you don't show any intention to improve because it's not supported. For me this makes no sense to downgrade this and don't even put it in priorities even if you know we are using it in our projects.

It means that we should drop the hardware we invested in and drop quality because you changed directions which is definitely a downgrade for a lot of users who were looking towards improvements.

• archimage

Changed the title of the thread from “Oculus Quest 2 problems - Enscape 2.9 support for Revit 2022” to “VR Headset - Please update 3.2 or make Enscape 2.9 work with Revit 2022/2023”.
  • Quest 2 is not officially supported. Enscape Support should not spend time supporting unsupported hardware. I would expect Quest 2 to be supported after sufficient testing and validation.

That said I do know customers that are using Quest 2 successfully. What is your hardware and VR setup?

• I9 32 GB RTX 2070 Windows 10 Revit 2022 + Oculus quest 2 with Oculus Link + Airlink

Well please just support it because it worked perfectly fine with 2.9.

I don't understand why downgrading ? If you have customers who were using it well I don't really understand that point. There are also threads about this, people worked on a workflow in this, why just focus on older and hardware ?

If it doesn't have enough validation, please support old versions until the newer gets as good as 2.9.

Everything worked flawlessly under 2.9 with both wires and wirelessly, but we just can't use it with latest Revit releases, and we can't force partners to use older Revit for our VR needs. On the opposite they can force us to switch to newer Revit files just by saving them.

With 3.2 the picture never stops calculating, seem to be stuck in some low res preview mode, too much black dots, lighting is bad, too bright, and when moving the headset the it never centers each time you move the head for 1mm the eye keeps jumping up/down, and the overall quality is pretty bad, you can never just focus on something.

• Enscape is not a video game. It is real time rendering concurrent with design software. Just because a result is similar to a VR game don't presume that the process is similar. Software evolves. You're trying to use software that was not designed to be used in the configuration that you're using with this hardware.

Don't use a wireless configuration. Get the cable to physically connect the Quest 2 headset to the PC.

There are wireless alternatives but it requires a dedicated wireless router with a physical connection to the PC. Not Oculus Link + Airlink.

• archimage

Changed the title of the thread from “VR Headset - Please update 3.2 or make Enscape 2.9 work with Revit 2022/2023” to “VR Headset problems - fixed by disabling RTX”.
  • After lot of trials I managed to make it work by disabling RTX settings. Now everything is working with Air Link and even executable export.

Hope it will be helpful for someone else.

Thanks a lot for the Feedback.

As mentioned above we do not officially support the Quest 2, but the device should still be working wired or wirelessly (Virtual Desktop, Air Link) with Enscape. (If the machine meets our VR system requirements which it does in your case) - I'm sorry that you've received conflicting messages about this.

Further, I am not aware of any VR application which makes use of RTX (because it's simply too performance intensive) in the first place so for Ensacpe we definitely recommend keeping it disabled as well. (Even on more powerful cards) And of course thanks a lot for letting us know that you were able to resolve these issues.

• Archimage, I'm setting up a pc with Win 10, i9 64Gb RTX3080 revit 2020, enscape and a oculus quest 2 over Air link.
    Can you be more specific in the setting on the videocard and de Quest itself. With RTX disabled I still have a lot of flickering and unscharp images.

• Archimage, I'm setting up a pc with Win 10, i9 64Gb RTX3080 revit 2020, enscape and a oculus quest 2 over Air link.
    Can you be more specific in the setting on the videocard and de Quest itself. With RTX disabled I still have a lot of flickering and unscharp images.

Welcome to our Forum!

Please also make sure that the flickering is not also present when using Enscape outside of VR, sometimes it's not related to the headset itself if, for example, surfaces are flickering - But sometimes that flickering becomes more evident inside VR then.

Also, when it comes to the unsharp images, what is the resolution you've set up for the Quest 2 to be transferred wirelessly? And have you tried to increase the Rendering Quality in the first tab of the Visual Settings? Feel free to generally let me know a bit more about your setup if possible.

• archimage - May I know how you managed to get Oculus Quest 2 work with Air Link. Specifically interested in finding how to "disable RTX settings".

Thanks in advance

After lot of trials I managed to make it work by disabling RTX settings. Now everything is working with Air Link and even executable export.

Hope it will be helpful for someone else.