NVIDIA RTX

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi! I was wondering if you were gonna support nvidia RTX Technology just demoed at Siggraph today, using the new quadro cards? They are promising a lot of added perfomance in raytracing compated to their current architecture, Pascal, 6x in raytracing perfomance. We could really use the extra horsepower on bigger project were we are already maxing out our 1080TI.

I understand that autodesk is already on board and they actually showet a really impressive demo using revit and solidworks.

Thanks

• tobiasolsen We'll definitely have a look into these graphics. I currently don't see a reason why we shouldn't support it.

The rumors say that the GTX series will be replaced by the RTX series as well, so that won't be Quadro exclusive as Nvidia usually uses the same chip

for both series.

I'm really curious as well what the new Turing chips will look like in practice!

• What I find interesting is that a lot of the performance gains seem to be coming from AI. If I understand it correctly, they do all the fancy calculations at a low resolution and then use AI to filter/up-sample to meet the needs of the attached display.

• Jonathan Knoefel yup im aware that the new comsumercards are on the way aswell, should be announced the 23th of august. The rumor sats that only 2080 and 2070 Will be called RTX and have the raytracing and ai hardware onboard. Lower end cards Will carry the GTX badge.

But good to hear that you are positive about supporting it (if it make sense perfomancewise, ofcause).

Personally im very excited by this new hardware! The future is Bright for realtime rendering?

• Official Post

knowhere0 The current version of Enscape (just as everyone else) won't benefit directly from the RT cores, but of course general performance will still be improved significantly with Turing GPUs. We have to make some significant adjustments to make use of the hardware accelerated ray-tracing the new GPUs offer, but it's planned to run with RTX in the future for sure. :thumbup:

• Seems like if this is only supporting the higher end cards, then Enscape will have to develop both ways so its auto enabled if you have the supported cards.

So it unfortunately would look one way for you but if you export for a client then it might look different if they had an older card.

That will be the unfortunate side effect, even within the same company from person to person to computer to computer.

A few years from now it will be a mute point if it is adopted at a high rate by consumers. Until then we will have some growing pains.

• What I'm looking for is something along the lines of this highly-detailed post by Thomas Schander: https://gpuopen.com/deferred-path-tracing-enscape/ with some indication about how Enscape will be leveraging these Turing technologies. I realize that doesn't materialize overnight, but I'm hoping that over the next few months, Enscape will be as transparent with it's plans as it has been in the past. Like many Enscape clients, we're slowly migrating from Vray to Enscape, which represents a major cultural shift with serious implications for hiring. Any insight you can provide about Enscape's approach that would help us plan for the expertise we should be looking for over the next few years, would be greatly appreciated.

• Official Post

I'm not really sure I understand the issue. Regardless of the exact technical implementation details: The way you're using Enscape will stay the same. It will still be as easy to use as it is right now. Even if we're utilizing dedicated ray-tracing hardware in the background in contrast to regular compute shader implementations (it will also of course still be compatible with non-RTX capable hardware). You won't notice any difference, except for much better performance, which will ultimately also enable us to up Enscape's rendering quality to new levels as well.

We'll make an announcentment regarding RTX support, once we're close enough to give a proper release estimate. Anything else would be hollow promises. That won't happen in the next couple of months though.

• I'm not really sure I understand the issue. Regardless of the exact technical implementation details: The way you're using Enscape will stay the same. It will still be as easy to use as it is right now. Even if we're utilizing dedicated ray-tracing hardware in the background in contrast to regular compute shader implementations (it will also of course still be compatible with non-RTX capable hardware). You won't notice any difference, except for much better performance, which will ultimately also enable us to up Enscape's rendering quality to new levels as well.

We'll make an announcentment regarding RTX support, once we're close enough to give a proper release estimate. Anything else would be hollow promises. That won't happen in the next couple of months though.

Sure, is like you say. I cannot see any issue on this, is just a better performance and better quality rendering for this gpus, as it has to be, but older gpus work like since today :)

Just one last question for me, nowadays, do you recommended waiting for buying new one 2080ti (seems to be a not so good performance) or do you recommended me to buy an asus strix 1080ti 11gb for about 750€ (new one) [ 867,94 $ ], because my 980ti is a good gpu but i think is no so quick for VR rendering. Thank you a lot.

• Sure, is like you say. I cannot see any issue on this, is just a better performance and better quality rendering for this gpus, as it has to be, but older gpus work like since today :)

Just one last question for me, nowadays, do you recommended waiting for buying new one 2080ti (seems to be a not so good performance) or do you recommended me to buy an asus strix 1080ti 11gb for about 750€ (new one) [ 867,94 $ ], because my 980ti is a good gpu but i think is no so quick for VR rendering. Thank you a lot.

You should really do some research on the new generation of cards, they're fundamentally different, with a quarter of the chips dedicated each to ray tracing and AI. So while the traditional shader portion of the chip may only be incrementally better than Pascal (ie 1080ti) and not worth the upgrade, that only represents half the card.

When you combine all these new technologies within RTX, real time ray tracing performance increases exponentially. Just check out the graph below. 13 tflops for the 1080ti vs. 80 tflops for the 2080ti, (ie. 6 times faster!).

Now of course, the major caveat is that this all depends on applications actually taking advantage of the new cores, which will take time, but given nvidias dominance in the gpu market, I don't see any reason to believe that developers won't try and utilize all the new free horsepower.

• Edit

Search in forum doesnt work as nothing turned up for RTX.

reading the thread now........

Hi Team

With all the Nvidia hype around GTX in full run now, It certainly looks like its the next gen of realtime engines and will be a massive step up in realisim.

Is the enscape team planning on adopting the new render engine?

If so what sort of timeframe do you think for adoption of RTX?

PS.

A big nudge for a 3dsmax plugin to come out soon.

• Have your RTX cards ordered yet Enscape team? :D

I'm looking forward to accurate shadows and reflections, and hopefully improved GI as well, and know you guys will be the ones that push the cards to their limits :thumbup: Very exciting indeed!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'd watch this before you go diving in:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That video is mostly targetted at gamers, for which the RTX features aren't immediately useful, and therefore not enough to justify the high cost. Similarly, gamers are whining about the lower framerates that RTX necessitates, wheareas we'll gladly sacrifice a few frames for better visuals (except in VR). It's still probably wise to wait a little while before purchasing unless you're a developer yourself, given there's no way for us to take advantage of RTX yet either, but if you really want the increased horsepower and the money isn't an issue, they're much faster than the previous generation even when you exclude AI and RTX.