3.2.0+62705 Enscape Verison extreme lag

• The latest version seems to be generating an enormous amount of lag in both sketchup and enscape when running enscape. Working fluidly between them with live updates is impossible even when the only thing in the model is a white box without materials, assets, etc...my guess is it has something to do with the newest tweak to raytraced shadows, is there a way to turn that off or even dial back the quality? Adjusting the "render quality" down to draft doesn't help at all.

• nimsda13 , in the first instance, you can make sure that your graphics card drivers are also up to date. Either acquire the latest ones through the NVIDIA or AMD homepage depending on which GPU is built into your machine. But, you can additionally turn of Ray-Tracing entirely or just the Ray-Traced shadows through our General Settings -> Rendering tab.

If you own an NVIDIA RTX card, make sure to also have DLSS and the Denoiser enabled as well.

If the steps above do not do the trick, can you let me know which GPU is built into your machine, and could you also kindly send me a Feedback report? Ideally please use the e-mail you're using for our Forum in the submission form as well. :)

Thank you in advance.

• Hey, just seeing that OP has the same problem as me. My thread is HERE.

If you have not already, please also send us a Feedback report. This way we can check your logs for any potential issues and we'll also receive your current settings. Beforehand, you can also gladly make sure that you're using the latest drivers which you may please acquire directly from NVIDIA, as windows often show the display drivers to be fully up to date even when that isn't the case.

• Received an email from support today with the latest download version (3.2.0+65063) which I'm told has some misc. big fixes in it. But I can confirm after testing that there is still a significant performance decrease in moving from 3.1.2 to 3.2+.

• Received an email from support today with the latest download version (3.2.0+65063) which I'm told has some misc. big fixes in it. But I can confirm after testing that there is still a significant performance decrease in moving from 3.1.2 to 3.2+.

Performance in 3.2 is still an ongoing topic we want to improve over time. The 1080 Ti built into your machine is still a decent GPU up to this day but may struggle especially in the future as we're adding more advanced features which cost additional performance. The current situation isn't great when it comes to purchasing GPU's, but especially being able to make use of DLSS (on RTX cards) does help a lot with the performance overall. On top of that, you also get better sun-shadows as they can now be raytraced to offer more accuracy and realism, coupled with NVIDIA's denoiser which also improves the quality of renderings/walkthroughs further.

If you're unable to upgrade anytime soon, then that is entirely understandable as well of course. As mentioned and to sum it up, improving the performance in 3.2 is still a task our developers are working on at the moment.

• Performance in 3.2 is still an ongoing topic we want to improve over time. The 1080 Ti built into your machine is still a decent GPU up to this day but may struggle especially in the future as we're adding more advanced features which cost additional performance. The current situation isn't great when it comes to purchasing GPU's, but especially being able to make use of DLSS (on RTX cards) does help a lot with the performance overall. On top of that, you also get better sun-shadows as they can now be raytraced to offer more accuracy and realism, coupled with NVIDIA's denoiser which also improves the quality of renderings/walkthroughs further.

If you're unable to upgrade anytime soon, then that is entirely understandable as well of course. As mentioned and to sum it up, improving the performance in 3.2 is still a task our developers are working on at the moment.

I would agree with you, but I see no difference in quality from 3.1.2 to 3.2. I know I would see some improvements with RTX enabled, which then needs DLSS enabled to compensate for the performance hit of RTX shadows. But with those options unchecked, I'm not using any of those performance degrading features and I'm still left with poor performance. So I'm inclined to believe there's some code to work out.

Now, if we got RTX reflections I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. I would be able to upgrade the GPU financially, even with the prices as they are. I just don't see a need to with the current performance in everything else (except Enscape 3.2).

Then again, we have Twinmotion showing us definitive proof that we don't necessarily NEED RTX to get a massive jump on reflections. In their case, yes, RTX will speed things up as expected. But not having it doesn't hurt final quality.

• Demian Gutberlet by the way do you recommend using Nvidia Game ready drivers or Nvidia studio drivers

It should not make any difference but overall you can go for the Game ready drivers.

I would agree with you, but I see no difference in quality from 3.1.2 to 3.2. I know I would see some improvements with RTX enabled, which then needs DLSS enabled to compensate for the performance hit of RTX shadows. But with those options unchecked, I'm not using any of those performance degrading features and I'm still left with poor performance. So I'm inclined to believe there's some code to work out.

Now, if we got RTX reflections I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. I would be able to upgrade the GPU financially, even with the prices as they are. I just don't see a need to with the current performance in everything else (except Enscape 3.2).

Then again, we have Twinmotion showing us definitive proof that we don't necessarily NEED RTX to get a massive jump on reflections. In their case, yes, RTX will speed things up as expected. But not having it doesn't hurt final quality.

I understand that Tim , thanks for the reply. As mentioned, performance is indeed something we're still working on currently. I'll forward this post of yours to our product managers too.

Just to mention it though, raytracing, in general, is in most cases used in combination with NVIDIAs DLSS/Denoising since the process itself is just an expensive process in any game/software. While raytraced shadows are also not entirely different looking from normal shadows at first glance (there is more of a wow effect with reflections I agree), they still offer a level of definition/true to life nature that is unmatched with its counterpart traditional rendering method which will always have its flaws (One example comparison here).

I'm not trying to convince you to upgrade right away or anything though but just wanted to add that raytracing is generally something which we'll see more and more of in the future, in Enscape and generally. DLSS hereby can be seen as a great and most often mandatory counterweight to the performance cost of raytracing - In many cases, it can double the number of frames you're getting, in some games/software with its performance setting(s), it's even more without sacrificing a lot of clarity. One reason being that it also helps with reducing VRAM usage, which besides performance improvements also in turn allows for larger scenes/higher resolution renderings as well.

• Agreed on RTX in the future for sure. It's going to be huge for more robust lighting systems and reflections in all of the real-time engines. Sun shadows in RTX is not nearly enough at the moment, though. DLSS is notable, as you said, but really is there to counter-act RTX performance impacts (for now). I'm holding out for a notable increase in reflection quality as well as a more robust lighting rendering system in Enscape before I do anything. Just sun traced shadows in RTX is not worthwhile for my use case as I'm 99.9% large commercial/retail interiors and very heavy on artificial lighting sources. As I said before, Twinmotion released RTX quality reflections without the need for RTX specific GPU's recently- there is only a performance impact between RTX and non-RTX cards. I'm not a Twinmotion user otherwise, but the concept has been proven and pretty exciting.

I've commented before on this, but there is also a limitation on either the number of lights rendered in the model or the distance calculation from the camera. I commonly see light turn on/off as I walk through a model. My models are very large spaces (30k sq. foot grocery stores/supermarkets) with a ton of overhead general lighting as well as equipment lights, so I frequently need to "cheat," to get accurate lighting and not get that on/off effect. Sometimes, even at larger distances, the lighting will ignore geometry.

The 4xxx RTX series is likely on my upgrade path when it arrives- assuming also that RTX development in Enscape has shown some dramatic improvements.

I know I sound critical of Enscape, it's because I want it to succeed. It's the horse I've bet on in this real-time engine rendering race. It's also now got a magnifying glass on it, given the recent pricing model change/increase.