DLSS - Enabled causes significant aliasing issues (percieved far worse in VR).

Reminder: If you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • Hi there,

See attached video, VR mode is enabled in all clips but the recording is a screen capture of my desktop display (which shows the issue, but the aliasing is far worse looking through the VR headset).

I have found that irrespective of whether Hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing is enabled or not, if DLSS is enabled it causes significant aliasing. The aliasing goes away if DLSS is disabled.

Interestingly, partway through my testing to capture this on video, when I enabled Hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing, restarted Enscape and then enabled DLSS it started going crazy, not just aliasing.

I'm using an HP Reverb G2 headset, rig is an AMD Ryzen 5800x and RTX 3080.

I've made a log also and have referenced this post.

• Official Post

pete_nz , we do not recommend using DLSS within VR at all, since it should instead rather be used when viewing Enscape on your monitor/TV. One main reason is that technically you're looking at a screen within the device just centimeters away from your eyes, which would be about the same as moving really really close to your monitor, which is obviously not something anyone is doing.

We'll check out your log files as well if you've submitted a Feedback Report for any errors, but for the time being, while DLSS is also still highly work in progress, we recommend disabling it even if it offers improved performance. We're already using DLSS 2.xx, but I'm sure there'll be lots of further improvements made by NIVIDA, which may make DLSS a more viable solution inside VR as well.

• Thanks for your response Demian. There had been a lot of hype in the VR space when DLSS 2.1 released, since it was touted by Nvidia to be compatible with VR. I think people are excited at the prospect of DLSS doing what it's done for traditional rendering but for VR, which obviously could really use any performance uplift. Looking forward to developments in that space. Thanks mate.