Varjo Aero Support?

Whenever you encounter any issues with Enscape or your subscription please reach out to our dedicated support team directly through the Help Center or by using the Feedback button as detailed here.
  • I would love buy a Varjo Aero VR headset for 3d demonstrating models. (Currently using a Oculus Rift with Sketchup and Enscape 3d.) This looks like such a great headset, but at a whopping $2,000 or so, I would need to know before buying one if it would work with Enscape. Has anyone tested it with Enscape3d? I can only find one thread on the forums with one post mentioning the headset, but no information and nobody answered with any info.

I would love to hear from the Enscape team specifically! Has it been tested? The additional resolution would be such a welcome upgrade! What would need to happen to get a test setup so that the company can confirm it works...? I would really like the upgraded resolution, but can't spend that to find out it does not work!

Thank you.

• Official Post

arebe , pardon the late reply, but unfortunately, we have not tried Enscape VR with this particular headset, and there aren't any plans to officially support it anytime soon I'm afraid. You can still very gladly forward your wish to our product management team directly through our Enscape Public Voting Portal - This way they'll be aware of the demand for supporting this device!

• Thank you for the response. I actually bought one before you responded, delivery says 3 to 4 months right now, but I'm hoping it will work. My research gives me some hope it might work. Even if not I have other gaming uses I guess I will chalk this up to and it becomes a very expensive toy. But my real purpose is to hopefully use it with Enscape3d. When I get results, which seems like it will be months from now, I will update others as to my jovial success or disappointing failure.

• I'm still waiting for the Aero. It said "3-4 months" when I ordered it in early January. So no update. I will for sure post here when it comes in and I get to test it. Based on what their delivery time is I guess I will update a few days after April 10 to May 10th.

I agree and would hope that @Demian Gutberlet would comment on if they think it would plausible work. He and the team should be a lot more knowledgeable than you or I... I had to take a big gamble here, and as a customer of Enscape3d I would love to hear their take too....

• Another thought I had since I bought it... If you want to know now, find someone with a Varjo Aero, build an .exe and ask them if it works for them.... If it worked for them it work be fantastic news for all of us! And if it did not, I would still give a small chance it could work as I am not very familiar with exports vs. in-program launches. I did not have the time to find someone and ask for a test.

I will say, from my perspective, the biggest downside to Enscape3d right now is the poor 3d headset quality. If my Varjo Aero headset won't work with Enscape I will be looking to find a replacement rendering program. But again, I have hopes it will work because it is SteamVR as you said...

• Official Post

arebe Did you have a chance to try Enscape with the Aero yet?

@Darmian Is there any reason why the Aero should not work? I figured than any device that works in SteamVR should work with Enscape?

That is correct - If it's a VR device that makes use of SteamVR, Enscape should support it but will in most cases not display the correct controller models inside the VR experience. Which is a reason why we're also careful when it comes to recommending the Aero in this case for example.

I will say, from my perspective, the biggest downside to Enscape3d right now is the poor 3d headset quality. If my Varjo Aero headset won't work with Enscape I will be looking to find a replacement rendering program. But again, I have hopes it will work because it is SteamVR as you said...

Pardon, could you go a bit more into detail when it comes to the "poor 3d headset quality"? Perhaps you can give me some key points regarding what's bothering you / what's still missing to you for a better VR experience?

Thanks in advance!

• arebe , pardon the late reply, but unfortunately, we have not tried Enscape VR with this particular headset, and there aren't any plans to officially support it anytime soon I'm afraid.

It's a bit of a weird decision. The Varjo line of headsets are aimed at the professional market, which is certainly also the market for Enscape. Why would architects use headsets aimed at the gaming market which are currently supported by Enscape, while car designers use professional headsets like the Varjo line. I am currently using an Index, but looking to upgrade to a Varjo Aero, specifically to use it with Enscape and get rid of some jagged lines and shimmering through the higher resolution.

• That is correct - If it's a VR device that makes use of SteamVR, Enscape should support it but will in most cases not display the correct controller models inside the VR experience. Which is a reason why we're also careful when it comes to recommending the Aero in this case for example.

I understand. Since the Varjo lines doesn't come with controlers, but uses the Valve tracking, most people probably used Index controllers with it (a far fewer people older Vive controllers). Any chance to just display Index controllers when an Varjo is connected?

• Official Post

I understand. Since the Varjo lines doesn't come with controlers, but uses the Valve tracking, most people probably used Index controllers with it (a far fewer people older Vive controllers). Any chance to just display Index controllers when an Varjo is connected?

When it comes to that, I can only kindly request that you also forward any of your Feedback/wishes regarding this topic to product management directly which ultimately has the influence over Enscape's development decisions:

Enscape Public Voting Portal (How to forward/upvote Feature/Asset Requests directly) - News & FAQ - Enscape Community Forum

• I'm still waiting for the Aero. It said "3-4 months" when I ordered it in early January. So no update. I will for sure post here when it comes in and I get to test it. Based on what their delivery time is I guess I will update a few days after April 10 to May 10th.

Thanks! Would be much appreciated if you report your finding of using the Aero in Enscape. BTW, don't use DLSS in VR. Found that out the hard way.

• Pardon, could you go a bit more into detail when it comes to the "poor 3d headset quality"? Perhaps you can give me some key points regarding what's bothering you / what's still missing to you for a better VR experience?

Sorry I see how that sounded negative. I had said "the biggest downside to Enscape3d right now is the poor 3d headset quality." In that, I was saying that VR headsets in general have poor quality compared to the graphics you see when not in VR. This was not a shot on Enscape3d, but a shot against the line of VR headsets we have had to live with until now. I very much want a headset that has much higher quality / resolution that the Varjo Aero is promising the VR community. And if the Varjo Aero won't be workable with Enscape, I will likely shop around to see if another rendering program will support it better for me.

Based on your comments about controllers (which is helpful), it would likely save me some troubleshooting if you could at least recommend controllers you think would work with the Aero! If so I would be delighted to report great success here to the others in my shoes of trying to get a better visual of our models with the far superior Varjo Aero VR headset. Do I need to "see" the controllers in the VR experience? No. But if Enscape would recommend the optimal controllers that would be Htc Vive controllers or Htc Index controllers?

Per your recommendation I did "submit idea" here:

https://portal.productboard.co…bs/17-under-consideration

I suggest anyone else with a hunger for Varjo Aero support additionally submit an idea as well for the product development team!

• Sorry I see how that sounded negative. I had said "the biggest downside to Enscape3d right now is the poor 3d headset quality." In that, I was saying that VR headsets in general have poor quality compared to the graphics you see when not in VR.

To be fair, some of the VR quality difference in Enscape is not just hardware-related, but also software. See my video here, how most SteamVR Software does a better job at anti-aliasing than Enscape at the moment. I am hoping this will be an easy fix. Very bad anti-aliasing in Enscape VR

So I ordered an Aero last night. Sitting in the same boat as you now.

• Got this email from them today...

Attached is the receipt for your Varjo order #####. The order will be shipped within five (5) business days. Once it ships, you’ll receive a separate shipment confirmation email with your tracking code.

Hopefully will have it in my hands the week of May 2nd. So looks like their turnaround time is just under 3 months right now.

• Thanks for the update and congrats on your new Aero! Let us know how you Aero+Enscape experience is. Will you be using Index controllers with it?

Shipped from Shenzhen directly. Being in the US it might take a week or more to get to me. Depends on FedEx.

I really did not know what to do about controllers. I decided to go with with the cheapest AND best guess of what I think will work. Since the system requirements page for Enscape VR headsets says HTC Vive and HTC Vive Pro are recommended headsets, I went with standard Vive controllers. Seems logical to me. And frankly I don't need the sleekest or best controllers available, I just need to navigate my models. Will be back to update you in a few weeks once I get the headset and get it tested. If controllers are an issue, the Index controllers would be my next test.

• I have an Aero on loan for a few days. Enscape works fine, I paired it with Vive paddles. But I think Enscape struggles with optimizing for VR on the fly, and the headset is obviously super demanding. Framerates were not good even on a 3090. On the other hand a custom Unity.exe worked great.

There is distortion at the edges that I found to be somewhat distracting, I see there is an experimental distortion correction I wasn't aware of; I'll have to try it. The clarity is of course stunning, and makes it hard to back to anything else, but as with all headsets there are trade-offs.